What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Ron,

What can be done...to get MGM's attention on this matter. Any avenues to reach them directly and voice our concern, be it by written letters, phone calls?

Thanks!

Page

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that if we could raise a small portion of the resoration cost and somehow get it to MGM (and get the powers-to-be's attention that there are concerned film buffs out there who would gladly rebuy an enhanced DVD), maybe MGM will pick up the ball and not see it as such a losing proposition.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup:
Thank you for the mailing address and phone number. I'd like to keep this going up at the top of the agenda. I love all the New Releases and news, but this is a great classic.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I bought the current dvd (which will remain unopened forever while I watch the more complete laser disc) solely because there was some belief that higher sales might motivate a restoration. Unfortunately that didn't work and I'm stuck with a paperweight, but if there is anything that I can be done, I'm open to it, including donation of money if it would really work.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Have MGM put a copy of the 'fully restored' version of Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World up on eBay with an opening bid of 1 million and make the bidding private. I'm serious.

Then have MGM issue a press release in conjunction with eBay. It will generate buzz. The story will get picked up on the AP, Yahoo news, etc. and some essentric philanthropist will most likely win the bid.

Winning bidder gets a copy from the HD masters, delivery in 1 year. More importantly, they get the satisfaction in saving this film.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It would be great if MGM/UA could auction off "Mad,Mad World" movie props/costumes, but they didn't make the film United Artists did and I don't think anything survives. My guess: The best people to go after are the stars of the film (They have the money) If they got behind it maybe MGM would do something. How much would it actually cost? No one has stated how much money is needed (Does Robert Harris have a budget?)

This film has a large cult following as evidenced by the showing at the American Cinematheque (hey, they sold out at $20 a ticket - ok many of the stars were there, but stars have come to other screening where only $8 was charged)

It may not be a large amount of money if many people are willing to donate. Or just buy the 70mm negative and have Robert Harris restore it, thus giving him ownership of the print)

Where are the Steven Spielbergs who have tons of money? (Martin Scorese already does his part) If a big name got behind the project it would be done.

I may be speaking on deaf ears.

By the way, Mrs Stanely Kramer said they were looking to restore the 70mm print, but MGM was not involved.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised none of this came up at the screening with the stars and Stanley Kramer's family at the Egyptian in December. Was anyone from the forum in attendance?

"The Alamo" really chaps my hide because Imagine (Ron Howard/Brian Grazer) is remaking this now and they've got the deep pockets to throw some money toward a good cause like this-- and aren't.

I'd definitely contribute to a cause like this.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Re: The Alamo --

Ron Howard removed himself from this production last year. Even if he was involved in the creation of a remake, doesn't mean that he should be responsible to save an older version.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Well, if anyone is going to do this, someone needs to step up to the plate with a little organization. If people are willing to donate money toward this cause, we need something to donate the money to, even if it's just a Paypal account.

There may also be some legal details about setting up a non-profit (if we're really going to be organized about this). Any lawyers in the house? Anyone with experience in this sort of thing?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Imagine is still producing the film, only with a new cast, new director (The Rookie's John Lee Hancock) and a trimmed-down budget. I'm just throwing out that it seems a shame for there not to be some sort of tie-in with the new production when the old film is in danger of disappearing for good.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
I was lucky enough to see "Mad World" in its original
"Cinerama" incarnation (though I'm not really sure if it
wasn't already cut some by the time I saw it -- I don't
remember the Intermission police calls.) Not to go off into too much of a baby boomer rant here, but it's really sad that they don't do film presentation like they did it then -- in 70mm, in theaters with CURTAINS which opened majestically after the playing of the rollicking "Overture"
(What, no commercials?) "Mad World" may not be a great film, but it epitomized an era when film presentation was done right; an era when going to the movies in the big city was still something very special. Now most of the big city theaters which featured these "roadshows" are gone, to be replaced by sterile gigaplexes.
I contribute fairly regularly to the National Film Preservation Foundation, an organization which sponsors film archive projects to preserve "orphan films" (those
not owned by film studios). I asked Annette Melville there whether their efforts ever extended to films deemed
unworthy of restoration by the studios which owned them,
particularly "Mad World." She replied that Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation (http://www.film-foundation.org/) is a typical sponsor of such projects.
Perhaps we can contribute en-masse to the Film Foundation in support of "Mad World" (like organizations sponsor local
highways.)
Dennis Gallagher

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I guess some one representing the HTF should contact Scorsese's film Foundation regarding saving "It's a Mad Mad World" in it's 70mm Roadshow format. Maybe they would be interested in helping and allow a donation account to be opened.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

I would be more than happy to make a donation towards saving this landmark comedy classic. We should all rally together and join forces and use the power of media and the internet to save this picture. In the UK I am more than prepared to get a petition going...

Bruce

If you need help, let me know

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Despise being in financial trouble,MGM also has the cheapest quality (sort of) DVDs on the market(Can find most of their titles for $9).

I wouldnt complain if they raised the prices of their DVDs a bit to add restoration funds.

Ken Lemons

Grip
Robert is correct in pointing out that the people involved in remaking a film do not have a responsibility to restore the original film. On the other hand, I can think of several reasons why they might want to restore the film.

First, if the elements have very little time left and MGM is not in a position to restore the film, the elements themselves and the rights to their distribution should be obtainable for a very reasonable sum.

Second, The Alamo is a fairly well regarded film with a reasonably important place in film history due to its connection with John Wayne. It also has the patriotic tie-in with the battle of the Alamo itself. All put together, it has reasonable potential for public relations: "Now you can 'Remember The Alamo' because Studio XYZ saved it from destruction".

Third, after the restoration is complete, the DVD of the original The Alamo can be released just in time for the remake of The Alamo. This would be good marketing for the new movie and would also stand to recoup a considerable amount of the initial investment.

I think Robert's figure was $2.5 million for the restoration, but that was for both films and most of the money was needed for IaMMMMW. Even if $2.5 million is needed for The Alamo and another $2.5 million is needed to purchase the elements and the rights (which I hope is exaggerated), $5 million is not a very large percentage of a marketing budget for a major Hollywood film, and this would be very good marketing for an Alamo remake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks