What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

postermix

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff Probert
This is really directed towards Mr Robert Harris. I would like to sing the praises of Mr Harris for his efforts to restore and preserve precious large format films for future generations. I have followed the extensive trail of messages on this particular subject and feel compelled to ask a question.

I understand the roadshow version of IAMMMMW is 210 minutes (195minutes plus intermission). I further understand that a few years back 188 minutes have been found (plus intermission) and 6-7 minutes of footage was missing and 3-4 minutes of audio.

Although there is no funding to carry a full restoration I wonder whether the footage & audio is still missing? I understand there were numerous possible locations for the lost footage/audio and I wonder whether most of them have been exhausted? Apart from the lost spider pit sequence in King Kong this footage must be the holy grail for many lovers of film.

I am collector of original film advertising material i.e. posters and have a fascination with the 70mm era. I can recommend in70mm.com for all lovers of large format films. I have a great admiration for directors like David Lean’s, Stanley Kramer & Samuel Bronston for bringing these epics to our screens. It must be a crime for studios to let many of these works of art deteriorate through poor storage and general neglect, to the point where we have lost some of these films in their original format.

I happy to provide illustrations of the original film advertising material for It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on it’s original roadshow (Cinerama) release (I have US & UK posters on both) and of the general release, for all you fans of this epic film comedy.

I hope to hear from Mr Harris or others that might know the answer.

Both Parker & Ron have approved this posting.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well don't give up, while it isn't the true roadshow version it really is fun to watch this longer cut.
I was lucky enough to get it on ebay a few years ago for about $30.

Real Name
Lee
The good news is my Laserdisc is on the way now so its all very exciting you can guess. I will keep you posted how we go on when it lands..

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Laserdisc Archive said:
The good news is my Laserdisc is on the way now so its all very exciting you can guess. I will keep you posted how we go on when it lands..
???????????????

Sten F

Second Unit
Just noticed the current DVD version has gone Out-Of-Print.

Does that mean a new and better version is coming?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
A friend of mine who is in film restoration mentioned to me that at one of those conventions film companies show clips of what they are working on, they showed some hi def material from IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD. It was [FONT= 'Lucida Grande']Fotokem and it must have been 2 years ago. He said they were going from the 65mm negative and it looked gorgeous. Hopefully this means an upcoming BluRay, rather than just preparing it for the MGMHD network! He didn't know if they were doing any restoring of missing material, but I kind of doubt that. Even the cut version can have the original police calls and Overture reattached without much trouble. So, here's hoping.....[/FONT]

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Last thing I heard about It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is that Robert A. Harris was busy with creating restoring technology for the restoration of John Wayne's The Alamo. He said once he restores The Alamo, he'll start working on It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by darkrock17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last thing I heard about It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is that Robert A. Harris was busy with creating restoring technology for the restoration of John Wayne's The Alamo. He said once he restores The Alamo, he'll start working on It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
Since the two need very similar technology, you're correct.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Mickey Rooney has got to be one of the few survivors left from this film. It would be nice for some kind of input from him. He is now almost 89 years old-so I would not wait too much longer to approach him. I am so happy to hear that this may be restored.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jonathan Winters is still with us,boy would he be great on a commentary track!

Great film - I'd love to see them re-release this for IMAX! :)

FrankNolan

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Originally Posted by cwilli /forum/thread/103435/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-restoration/450#post_3582842
Mickey Rooney has got to be one of the few survivors left from this film. It would be nice for some kind of input from him. He is now almost 89 years old-so I would not wait too much longer to approach him. I am so happy to hear that this may be restored.
Remember, it was quite a large cast. Just looking at the roster on IMDB, Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters (as mentioned above), Carl Reiner, Peter Falk, and Jerry Lewis are all still alive as well.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Your right. I had forgotten about that huge fantastic cast. It's been quite a while since I've seen the movie in its entirety. As a matter of fact, the last time saw it was in 1963 when it came to my local theatre in the Bronx. Growing up in that time period, all of the characters were familiar faces since I spent so much time seeing them on local television. I hope that a few of them will be willing to talk about their experience working on the film. If they could remember that far back. IMMMMW sure made an impression on me at the time because all of the best comedians of that time were all assembled in one fantastic movie. I'm not sure if they ever made anything equivalent like it again.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I just remembered, I have the original 2-tape Magnetic Video VHS Release on this film (before they found that missing footage) - still plays fine - they just don't make quality pre-recorded/blank video tapes like they used to.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Falk, sadly, is suffering from advanced dementia; his wife and daughter (from a prior marriage) went to court over the conservatorship of his estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks