What's new

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - 7/5 (Another Wal-Mart Exclusive) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know the police calls are on the 70mm print I saw, so hopefully, they will be on the BluRay.

I could probably say without any doubt that the

police calls will not be on the Blu-ray.

They have never appeared on any home video release

to date, and that includes the infamous laserdisc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eric scott richard said:
Figures, I just bought the old dvd with the deleted scenes as an extra.
Don't be too upset about that, if it is the disc with the making of feature included it has been long out of print and certainly will not be on the blu.

Yeah, it's the one with the making of on it. I bought it to go with my Three Stooges dvd collection. I have all of the shorts and am working on their features. I also picked up Soup to Nuts. I watched about an hour of Mad, Mad World and haven't finished it yet.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

You know, the Wal-Mart bashing gets a little old. Big-box stores will always be with us, whether they're named Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sports Authority, Safeway or something else. And yes, small stores will suffer when they try to compete on price alone, but when those same stores compete using customer service (as opposed to going bare-bones on staff), they can do quite well. We have a Wal-Mart here, and a K-Mart too, though K-Mart is run so badly their days are probably numbered. Sometimes I shop there, and sometimes I don't, but I have no qualms, moral or otherwise, about shopping there. I shop there for the same reason I use Amazon -- there's a pretty good chance they have what I want to buy.

Yes, Wal-Mart has treated employees badly at times. So? Are you going to never vote for a Kennedy again because several Kennedys have done immoral, illegal or otherwise objectionable acts? Plan to never attend a Roman Polansky or Woody Allen movie again?

Don't want to sully your hands by making a purchase at Wal-Mart? Fine; go with God. But don't make like it's some Great Moral Crusade That Will Improve The World -- especially when the crusade doesn't include the inconvenience of waiting for the exclusive to end and the Blu-ray appears on Amazon.

Sorry dont mean to offend...I have nothing against Walmart. I live in a large inner city and we do not have Walmart in our area, only in the burbs. I usually go to Target since they are in the neighborhood. If Walmart puts a store in my area (they are talking about a smaller footprint store) I would give it a try.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sumnernor said:
If the reasoning by Walmart is to get people in the store - why are they allowing mail order????
I said that's one reason. The other is that they're the only outlet for it. If you want It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World then Wal Mart is going to get your money for it and no one else.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by John Morgan

Judging from the MGMHD showing, I think MAD WORLD looks superb. My little qualm with the MGMHD showing may be with their tinkering, but they left off the Intermission music, and the Overture was too close to the opening credits. They need to leave a beat or two once that is over and the Main Title starts, but like I said, I think this was the cable stations decision. I know the police calls are on the 70mm print I saw, so hopefully, they will be on the BluRay. They give a 161 minute running time, but wouldn't that be without the Overture, Intermission and Exit msic. I hope so. Anyway, I preordered it.

The American Film Institute Catalog entry for IAMMMW states the 70mm version was 162min and included the overture, intermission, and exit music, so would gather that they are included in the Blu-ray. They indicated the 35mm was 154min. But I know there are others on here that know for sure. I am still glad I have the laserdisc and it is in good shape.

I certainly wish MGM all the good luck in the world to make a lot of money so they can possibly work on WORLD, THE ALAMO, and HAWAII to bring them back to the original roadshow version.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think the 154 minute version refers to the same version that was the 70mm version after the initial cuts, but reflects the timing without adding in the Overture, Intermission and Exit music. I am still hoping for the police calls. I think they were found since the laser was released. They are in the current 70mm circulating print of the film. I guess they could have been on tape or CD and played during the intermission.

Originally Posted by ahollis

The American Film Institute Catalog entry for IAMMMW states the 70mm version was 162min and included the overture, intermission, and exit music, so would gather that they are included in the Blu-ray. They indicated the 35mm was 154min. But I know there are others on here that know for sure. I am still glad I have the laserdisc and it is in good shape.

I certainly wish MGM all the good luck in the world to make a lot of money so they can possibly work on WORLD, THE ALAMO, and HAWAII to bring them back to the original roadshow version.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
got thinking this over a little more, four recent BB exclusives, and now five at walmart, should we be looking to target soon for another four to five exclusive titles? something that has been released on blu outside of the states, one that comes to mind is the lion in winter, belive that was released in japan?

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Well if Walmart's goal is to get new consumers, then it worked, because my mail order purchase of THE BIG COUNTRY blu-ray was the first Walmart purchase I have ever made in my 46 years.

I found myself purchasing from Target as well, since (to my complete astonishment), they have "Target Exclusives" dvds (not blu-rays) of no less than 2 recent Metropolitan Opera HD Broadcasts, AIDA and TURANDOT.

However while there is a Target near my Brooklyn home, I still ordered the dvds by mail (as I now almost always do), rather than visit their Atlantic Avenue location, lol.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by ahollis
Did the MGMHD showing have the Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit Music? I really missed the Overture and Exit Music on the DVD. I will pick this up for this is one of my favorite films, but I still hope for a restoration of the film to include the cut scenes at some time. Until them the Laser will still spin.

On a different note - does anyone have a audio or script copy of the intermission police calls? This is one of the few parts of the film that still eludes me. Thanks.

About 5 years ago the Cinerama Dome ran a newly struck 70MM print of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" - it looked fantastick - why they wouldn't use the source for this new print is beyond me. It had the overture etc. During the intermission it had the radio calls and they were fun. It would look as good as "South Pacific" or "Grand Prix"

I don't mine the cut version of the film if the 70MM source is used and the overture/radio calls end music is all included (the image would be demonstration quality it's 70MM after all and it looked like it was struck yesterday).

"The Big Country" looked great so I'm keeping up hopes up but I also got burn on "The Greatest Story Ever Told" so. they're up but not too high

Hopefully FOX is wise enough to use this source and not slap an older transfer at 1080 on the bluray as they did for "The Greatest Story Ever Told"

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I could probably say without any doubt that the

police calls will not be on the Blu-ray.

They have never appeared on any home video release

to date, and that includes the infamous laserdisc.

The Radio calls were found after the original DVD was released. The first time they were heard in LA since 1963 was at the Cinerama Dome in 2004 or 2005.

A number of years prior to that the Egyptain theater held a cast reunion screening and they said the radio calls were lost (Many of the cast were there and many have since passed on) It was a fun night but the print was 35mm.

The 70MM print at the Cinerama Dome blew it away - it truly looked like a brand new film.

I can understand if a cable station deleted the radio calls since they delete the overture and don't want black air during the film (esp with dialogue Joe six pack would think the TV was defective) but they could put it on the blu-ray (they should - if not then you know this is an old transfer slap up job)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Mark Oates

Here in the UK, I can't understand the disapprobation shown towards Walmart. As far as I'm concerned they're the parent company of Asda, who in the UK supermarket wars are the "good guys" compared with Tesco's bad guys. ...

Sorry this is going really off topic but I can't resist. Contrary to you Mark I hate Asda! So if Walmart are the same, I can understand the animosity. On the other hand...I love Tesco!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

The Radio calls were found after the original DVD was released. The first time they were heard in LA since 1963 was at the Cinerama Dome in 2004 or 2005.

A number of years prior to that the Egyptain theater held a cast reunion screening and they said the radio calls were lost (Many of the cast were there and many have since passed on) It was a fun night but the print was 35mm.

The 70MM print at the Cinerama Dome blew it away - it truly looked like a brand new film.

I can understand if a cable station deleted the radio calls since they delete the overture and don't want black air during the film (esp with dialogue Joe six pack would think the TV was defective) but they could put it on the blu-ray (they should - if not then you know this is an old transfer slap up job)

The "radio calls," which formed the final seven minutes of the intermission, and have thus far been misused by MGM, do not belong in the cut version of the film.

RAH

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Please Robert, if you do anything in this life, get a crack at IAMMMMW. We know it won't be perfect but have faith that it will be the best it can be given the realities of the available elements.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
Originally Posted by Douglas R

Sorry this is going really off topic but I can't resist. Contrary to you Mark I hate Asda! So if Walmart are the same, I can understand the animosity. On the other hand...I love Tesco!

erm.. for non-brits how to explain this..? Tesco has become the major supermarket brand here, with irons in many extra fires, making it the nearest thing to Wall-E's B'n'L for a brit audience to grasp the concept.. Asda is big and cheap, often undercutting Tesco gleefully, but less ubiquitous than Tesco.

All other major chains are more upmarket/downmarket and consequently/paradoxically the more expensive options.

Guess it's a bit like football teams, supermarket loyalties.. :))

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

You know, the Wal-Mart bashing gets a little old. Big-box stores will always be with us, whether they're named Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sports Authority, Safeway or something else. And yes, small stores will suffer when they try to compete on price alone, but when those same stores compete using customer service (as opposed to going bare-bones on staff), they can do quite well. We have a Wal-Mart here, and a K-Mart too, though K-Mart is run so badly their days are probably numbered. Sometimes I shop there, and sometimes I don't, but I have no qualms, moral or otherwise, about shopping there. I shop there for the same reason I use Amazon -- there's a pretty good chance they have what I want to buy.

Yes, Wal-Mart has treated employees badly at times. So? Are you going to never vote for a Kennedy again because several Kennedys have done immoral, illegal or otherwise objectionable acts? Plan to never attend a Roman Polansky or Woody Allen movie again?

Don't want to sully your hands by making a purchase at Wal-Mart? Fine; go with God. But don't make like it's some Great Moral Crusade That Will Improve The World -- especially when the crusade doesn't include the inconvenience of waiting for the exclusive to end and the Blu-ray appears on Amazon.

Right on the money. You tell 'em, Rick!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Even if they had a CD of the calls included, I would be happy. I truly enjoy this film and find it so iconic of the 60's big films and it almost defines the era of retro cinema. The laserdisc will always be on the self ready for service and I look forward to the Blu-ray in hopes that the transfer will up there with THE BIG COUNTRY and others that MGM has recently released.

Here is also hoping that RAH gets his hands on this along with THE ALAMO and does his magic that we have so much enjoyed in other films.

It is only 15 days away from the release date.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the LD at my local Half-Price Books for $5. That made me happy. :) I'm interested to see how the Wal-Mart BD looks. For $10, I'm not expecting the moon. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.

Danilo S.

Agent
I think that the 70mm print used in 2003 in LA at Cinerama Dome went from a 35mm print. If this is correct, to have the best quality, the bluray master must came from that 35mm print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks