What's new

It's 2013 and I still don't know where my movies are! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Back in 2007 when I switched to Mac, one bit that I stumbled over was video management. Six years later and it's only gotten worse. Can anyone make sense of Macs and movies?

I never know where my movies are. Are they on iPhone camera roll and photo app, OS iPhoto, or iMovie? Are they part of a project or published to a product? Is the final product in iMovie or is it exported to a separate file on my hard drive or maybe even uploaded to YouTube?

My confusion is increased again tonight: I upgraded to Mavericks, and found the new iMovie changed things again. It's got a hidden directory of completed movies in Low Quality and Quality with random-string filenames.

What I want is confidence that: videos are transferred from mobile device to OS X, and I can find them in iMovie (because why would I look for movies in iPhoto). And if I've made a finished product, I know it's somewhere safe that I can find in the future.

Is there any method to the movie madness?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks