1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

It's 1994 all over again...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth Paxton, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

Okay, Nirvana now has a new kickass single out. Can't believe that track never found it's way to an album or something. It's really solid.
    And Rage and Soundgarden both "live" now as Audioslave and the OFFICIAL release for "Cochise" is also a new single release. Man, is that just as good as I expected it to be. I hadn't downloaded the bootlegged demo stuff but I think I might go look for it now. Still, I would expect the finished versions to be even tighter and I can't wait to get that album (Nov 19).
    Meanwhile Pearl Jam has their new album on the way too.
    What's next, Smashing Pumpkins reunite and AiC find another 10 songs in the vault. [​IMG]
    Anyway, good stuff with those 2 singles (Nirvana, Audioslave). Strangely enough I was just jamming on another mid-90's fav of mine the other night - Wax "13 Unlucky Numbers". Ah, memories, back when a Lollapalooza mosh pit was cool. [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

When I think of music in 1994, I tend to think of Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear View, Live Throwing Copper, and Counting Crows August and Everything After. These albums remind me of my days in graduate school.

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Well-Known Member

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Well-Known Member

In 1994 I was a high school grunge twerp. Ah, the fond memories.
    But I do look forward to the Audioslave CD. [​IMG]

5. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Audioslave? Are you guys talking about us? [​IMG]

6. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Wasn't the "grunge" thing pretty much over by -94?

7. JohnE

JohnE Well-Known Member

Audioslave kicks much ass, highly recommended! I hope they tour soon.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Well-Known Member

Not that I dislike any of the abovementioned acts, but the album of the year 1994 for me will always be Brave by Marillion.

9. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Well-Known Member

I wish it was 94, man. That's when I started discovering music. Watching 120 Minutes every sunday night. Recently I have been getting back into those bands and albums that I listened to back then. Seems like a LOT of female alternative rock:

Helium
    Belly
    Letters to Cleo
    Elastica
    Veruca Salt
    Juliana Hatfield
    Velocity Girl
    Liz Phair
    Luscious Jackson
    Sonic Youth
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Sublime (Though I think I first saw them in '95)

10. Jason_H

Jason_H Well-Known Member

Poor Elastica...awesome first album, then so many drug/personnel problems, and then they finally made an excellent second album that got ignored by the fickle public. Very sad to see them call it a day.

11. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Well-Known Member

Here's some stuff I was listening to in 1994 (that came out that year) that I still enjoy:

Marillion - Brave
    Lovely, brilliant album if you're into the big epic thing.

Suede - Dog Man Star
    Last gasp of the original Suede. The newer stuff is fun, but doesn't have the same grandeur.

Sugar - File Under Easy Listening
    This one scorches paint off walls while remaining melodic and listenable. Great stuff.

Mick Ronson - Heaven and Hull
    Really nice posthumous release, with worthwhile contributions from Bowie, Mellencamp, and Chrissie Hynde.

Johnny Cash - American Recordings
    The Man in Black, a microphone and a guitar. 'Nuff said.

Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon - Prairie Home Invasion
    Jello and Mojo go all rootsy years before "O Brother" made it fashionable. You have to hear it to believe it.

Ryan

12. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

And don't forget the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack, which was released that year. Incidentally, a remastered 2-disc version of that was just released. [​IMG]
    /Mike

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Well-Known Member

I really don't care for the audioslave stuff [​IMG] the music is great, but then HE starts signing [​IMG]
    wasn't zack de la rocha working on a solo album?

14. Luc D

Luc D Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Rage Against the Machine fan, Audioslave is very disappointing (terrible name too). Considering the remarkable steps forward RATM took with their music, I find Audioslave's sound to be really regressive. It sounds ten years old. I don't think Cornell fits in very well, and I find the lyrics to be very corny.

15. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Well-Known Member

1994, a good year for Mazzy Star with their hits 'Fade Into You' (released in '93) and 'Halah' (released in '90). Took 'em long enough to become hits. Also later in the year the Cranes released their best effort to date 'Loved'.

16. Seth Paxton

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Yup I was at the Lollapalooza '93 show in L.A. (at some Dam, I forgot the name, it was only my 2nd year here as a college student). I loved that show: Rage 1st, Tool 2nd, Dinosaur Jr, Arrested Development, AIC, Primus and Fishbone (I think, it's all a hazy daze w/ the killer music and my ex-then-current fiancee - it might have been the best day of my life come to think of it...)

So for me it's more like it's 1992-3 all over again. And I for one like the one Audioslave track, and my opinion was that Rage was regressing as they got on, I still love their first album best. And Chris Cornell is just my personal singer/songwriter/guitar idol.

18. JohnE

JohnE Well-Known Member

19. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I LOVE the new Audioslave single and am really looking forward to the album. BTW, I caught the "Cochise" video on MTV2 today. Basically just a performance video, but if it's an indication of the kind of energy their live show would have I'm there.

20. Seth Paxton

Carlo, that would be one of my top concerts except that I also went to Lolla 92 (PJ, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Ice Cube, Ministry, Jim Rose freak show). Jeremy had just gotten big, Blood Sugar was now big, Badmotorfinger was now big. Most insane but cool mosh pit ever. With that heat I thougth I was going to die. [​IMG] I did have serious heat exhaustion, especially after Soundgarden got done around 4 (PJ started early, like 2).
    2nd best concert - Aragon Ballroom, Chicago 1994 Nirvana/Mudhoney. What can I say, Kurt was God. [​IMG]
    3rd best - PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Peppers. We missed PJ because no one knew who they were, Pumpkins only had Gish out, and Peppers only had the not yet popular Give It Away out (Under the Bridge wasn't release yet, it was winter). If only we'd rushed to get there for PJ.
    But 93 Lolla is not far after those.
    Another good one, Soundgarden OPENING for Skid Row. Cornell stagedives, my buddy is right in the middle of it and catches him, Chris give him a high five as he gets passed back toward the front. [​IMG]
    I wish there were as many good shows now as were back then (rock shows at least). I missed System of a Down this year which I was really up for seeing. But so many shows are pop/R&B anymore...
    Oh, and I also had tickets to the Beasties/Rage concert 2 (or is it 3) years ago...then Mike D had to go and hurt himself...you can guess what happened before the show was rescheduled. [​IMG]