What's new

It Takes A Thief (1 Viewer)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Great price at Amazon, but still can't afford it. Might be able to buy it when I get my income tax return.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The word on the street is that the elements used look horrible on this set. My friend got his last week and he told me that it looks much worse than the Australian release. He said it looks like bad 16mm that had been dubbed to VHS first. And in today's Newsday, normally non-judgmental on quality, they say, "the scratchy video quality of these 66 remastered episodes can only charitably be called acceptable". And they put the word "remastered" in quotes, as in, who are they trying to kid, there was no remastering done whatsoever. Funny because I happened to peak at one running on Antenna TV this weekend and I thought it looked fine. What the hell did Universal give these people?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Well are the episodes at least uncut? For me, that's more important that what condition the picture quality is in (unless there were any encoding issues).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Well, that sucks! Antenna TV airs the show uncut AND the picture looks good to me, so I guess I'll save my money and keep DVR-ing them.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just curious if Antenna got the full run or not. I know they didn't on Bachelor Father or Suspense Theatre. But, actually, that's a good point. I might send mine back unopened and just go with the ones on Antenna, which look quite nice actually. Unbelievable that E2 could let this happen. Obviously, there are decent transfers out there.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I will need to get some good grounded reviews of the box set... but I won't open it until I know for sure in case I need to return my order back to amazon.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have been tempted to buy this for some time as the price has been discounted very good on Amazon. But with this news, I am definitely holding off.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Wow - shocking to hear. Thanks for the warning, Danny. I hadn't ordered this yet (hoping Costco would carry this since they carried EQ at a very attractive price) but this will be a no go if crummy prints were used.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Powell&Pressburger said:
I will need to get some good grounded reviews of the box set... but I won't open it until I know for sure in case I need to return my order back to amazon.
Same here. This is a real bummer if it holds true. I captured about half the episodes off RTV a while back and sadly the quality is barely worth watching, and I'm not generally that picky. The colors were generally washed out and the reds seemed to "bloom". I can typically handle lesser quality in b/w better then color. Hmmm...mine just shipped. It should be delivered in a couple of days (however, I won't be back for a week). Unfortunately, I'm not as excited now as I was before.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here are some screen caps I made from my Antenna TV recordings (with guest Tina Louise!) to give you an idea of what the picture looks like.

Maybe someone who has the retail set can do a comparison.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Too bad about the bug on the screen. Antenna in NY puts the bug up for about 10 seconds at the top of the show and that's it.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Having a small station bug on the lower right corner never bothered me. But for the price they are asking for the set, the picture quality needs to be top notch.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I got my box set delivered today from amazon. While the box set seems to be in great shape from shipping, I have to say the outer box packaing seems rather cheap. and you can tell whatever is holding the discs inside the case slides all around inside the box. Really Really cheap packaging.

I have not opened mine yet, in hopes someone chimes in with a review of the image quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks