1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RetroPete, Sep 4, 2006.

1. RetroPete

RetroPete New Member

...okay, okay, --I know this is heresy to some, but I enjoyed this film and was captivated by Thomas, Leachman and Welles. Christopher Guest even has a small part.

I don't think this has ever been released, even on tape, and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about a release or possible release. It was broadcast on ABC, I think in 1977 or '78.

...and yes, it will NEVER replace the original.

Start throwing tomatoes.

Peter [​IMG]

2. Garysb

Garysb Well-Known Member

For those who do not know, this was a TV remake of "Its A Wonderful Life" with Marlo Thomas in the James Stewart role and Wayne Rogers in the Donna Reed role. Cloris Leachman is the Angel , and Orsen Welles is Old Man Potter .

This probably should be in the TV section.

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Well-Known Member

Brian
    This should be in the TV section.

But I loved "It Happened One Christmas" when I was a kid -- I actually saw it before I saw "It's a Wonderful Life." Don't know how much I'd like it now. But I'd buy it if it was released on DVD.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a release of the TV movie of "Miracle on 34th Street," with Sebastian Cabot as Santa Claus.

4. RetroPete

RetroPete New Member

I too saw it before I saw the original, perhaps that's why I was allowed to like it.

Besides having a pretty strong cast, including Doris Roberts; it was shot by Conrad Hall, has a really nice score by Stephen Lawrence and heck, throw in a few matte paintings by Al Whitlock for some small screen magic...

I saw a portion of this recently, and though I know now the story has been streamlined somewhat, I thought it held up pretty well, with some nice moments.

But no DVD.

5. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Well-Known Member

No tomatoes here, either. I saw it on TV originally too, and loved it. I still have a recorded-from-TV VHS tape that I dig out at Christmastime. I would love to have this on DVD.

6. Rodney

Rodney Premium
    Supporter

This would have been a nice extra on the new 60th Anniversary IAWL coming out.