What's new

It always ruins a movie/tv show when.... (1 Viewer)

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I've seen Conan do "In the year 2000" quite recently. He stopped doing it so much when Andy left the show, but he pulls it out occasionally when he has some help. Last time I saw him do it, Will Farrell was his partner.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, except for the whole cyborg thing, Robocop had 1991 pretty much nailed.
All I know is, they had better have Hoverboards and Nike's with power laces in 2015!
I mean what good are we as a species if we can't make a skateboard that floats in the air!? :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
In a similar vein...

I saw an old episode of Dragnet on TV the other day. Jack Webb's narration, as the camera was panning over Palm Springs: "Some of these homes cost upwards of $100,000."

Jon

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I've seen Conan do "In the year 2000" quite recently. He stopped doing it so much when Andy left the show, but he pulls it out occasionally when he has some help. Last time I saw him do it, Will Farrell was his partner.
Saw one awhile ago with Mr. T which was hilarious. T kept making "What the hell?" faces and was going to crack up.

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Imagine my disappointment when Terminators didn`t start to whipe out humanity on the 26th August of 1996. This will better be explained in T3 or I will start building my own Cyborgs and name them Robokopp :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Good afternoon gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer.I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992.
My instructor was Mr.Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it, I could sing it for you...
[Yup Mr.Langley was also his manager until HAL's pop career nosedived in the mid nineties...]:)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Yes indeed, all sci-fi movies state dates too close to their own time, about 40 or so years in the future, that's very little, but I guess it makes more "realistic" and exciting by being within the lifetime of many watching a given movie.
Also, when I watch some of my favorites, like Blade Runner, Escape from NY/LA and Demolition Man, I just assume an alternate reality, like in The One, that's all you have to do.
Oh and I've seen/read about that Moller Skycar almost 2 years ago and still they're nowhere for sale. I want one, cops pull you over, you fly up and leave them in the dust, suckers. :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Good afternoon gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer.I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992.
Steve
As you well know (and I admit as well)
Some movies are good enough to overtake any lil fact.
Most Sci fi ....well you know fall to pieces with a Q tip
Even Scotch can help most

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Yes indeed, all sci-fi movies state dates too close to their own time, about 40 or so years in the future
I agree. For some reason I don't believe that in 2005 the Decepticons are going to be trying to take back Cybertron from the Autobots only to have it's moons engulfed by Unicron and cause major havoc to Cybertron itself. But then again I shouldn't speak too soon....it could happen.:b

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hollywood nearly always guesses over-optimistically about where we'll be in the future and by when
So did Kubrick ;)
The fact is that progress has been exponential for the last couple of hundred years or so it seems. The technological gap between 1900 and 2000 is greater than the one between 1800 and 1900, and so forth... how that is measured can be argued, but I am sure we can all agree to those results ;). The projection along that exponential curve is what made people believe that we would be ruling at least our solar system by now. There was no way they could have known that leaps and bound would be made in other fields such as information technology instead.
A lot of these stories were conceived in the golden age of the space program. Honestly, who could have predictied the loss of interest that ensued? Where would we be today if the space program had evolved at the pace it did in the 60's?
--
Holadem

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Every time I watch The Fifth Element, I think of some of the Hell-rides I have experienced in Boston taxis and say, "There's just no way we can ever have flying cars." Can you see some road-rage moron with a pilot's licence and a gun rack? What about the soccer mom with a cellphone in an airborne Ford Excursion swerving over three lanes of traffic? Or my parents for that matter, going 30 mph in a flying Buick Roadmasher!

I'LL BE WALKING THANKS!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The original PLANET OF THE APES movies wouldn't work if I thought about this. I mean, the cats and dogs didn't die out in 1983, the apes didn't revolt in 1991, we didn't have a nuclear war in 1993, and the apes aren't ruling the world in 2002. So what.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
There's been a couple references to Back to the Future 2. Here's the funny thing: we are now closer to 2015 than we are to 1985.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks