What's new

Is windshield repair all that it's cracked up to be? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Okay, bad puns aside, I found a nasty little impact crack in my windshield this morning, looks like one of the neighborhood's little monsters threw a stone at it. It's about the size of a nickel.

Do I really need to get this repaired? What exactly does that entail, how can you "fix" broken glass without replacing the windshield? Is it dangerous to leave it as it is? It is not broken through to the interior of the car. How much would a repair cost?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Not sure about your insurance company, but my insurance company repairs cracks for free. I would recommend having it done. I believe they drill into the crack and then fill it with some kind of bonding agent. It will clear up the pit mark a little bit, and more importantly, prevent the crack from expanding. I've had to have the procedure done quite a few times myself.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
State Farm replaced my windshield and waived my deductible, although I think I read that they are starting to abandon the deductible waiver in some states.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly how it is done. My Step-Father did this. It's normally pretty cheap and trivial to fix.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Yes...you should get it repaired before it spreads. Act quickly because there is a size limit beyond which they won't attempt this kind of repair.

I've had a couple done like this. You might notice a visible change but preventing the crack from spreading is really paramount, which is why many insurance companies will pop for it. Even if yours doesn't, it should run less than $50.

It's been a couple of years now and the ones in the windshield of our Explorer are still in good shape.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If it's anywhere in the line of vision, a reputable repair company won't touch it (nor will insurance reimburse you if they do at all)

Mort

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for all the replies! I have Geico. It's on the passenger side. Tonight I get to call my neighbor and complain about his kids. Sure, I didn't catch them doing it, but it "magically" happened overnight and I have seen them throwing rocks at each other in the past. Last year I had a basement window mysteriously broken and none of them claimed to know how it happened. I guess I could file a police report but I don't think that's going to solve my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks