1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Warner going to release RYANS DAUGHTER in 2013?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by trajan, Apr 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

OK. not the greatest David Lean film ever made, but it was filmed in Super-Panavion 70 and would look terrific on bluray.

cannon1 likes this.
  2. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Well-Known Member

Dan Shane
    I would be first in line to get one. I think the film gets undue criticism. Yes, it is much ado about nothing, but but beautifully so. The DVD gets plenty of repeated views in my house.

cannon1 likes this.
  3. DP 70

DP 70 Well-Known Member

Derek
    I would be second in line to get one the DVD looks pretty good but the BD should look really good,
    Have seen this many times in 70mm, the prints taken from the original 65mm neg looked fantastic.

cannon1 likes this.
  4. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    Jerry Seinfeld would be the first to agree with you.

5. Escapay

Escapay Well-Known Member

Albert Gutierrez
    I hope so. And with a Digibook to match Dr. Zhivago...

6. Ernest

Ernest Well-Known Member

I also would love to have this movie on Blu-ray for the beautiful filming of the country of Ireland shown throughout. The high cliffs, long walks on the beautiful sandy beaches, just a gorgeous movie. I have read where David Lean tried very hard to figure out why this movie was not very popular. Was Robert Mitchum miscast? Could the story have been told in a different manner? Truth is this is a beautiful boring movie. Nothing really happens during the 31/2 hour running time.

7. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    I actually think it's one of Lean's best films. I would rank it close to Great Expectations, Bridge, Lawrence, and Dr. Z....

8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Well-Known Member

Tom
    I don't find it boring at all but a simmering love story set against the back drop of Irish/UK relations. The DVD did look great. I would love to see this on blu, the last latter Lean film still not out on HD.

Escapay, cannon1 and Robin9 like this.
  9. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    You may find this film boring but I don't and neither, it seems, do two other posters in this thread. It's not a James Bond film and there are not fights, car chases, explosions etc. every few minutes but quite a lot happens in Ryan's Daughter.

Richard--W, Walsh61 and cannon1 like this.
  10. gruagach

gruagach Well-Known Member

Henry
    I'd only seen bits of it as a kid on telly - pan & scan and black & white. Not impressed. So I made a blind buy of the DVD. Through adult eyes, I loved it.

Walsh61 and cannon1 like this.
  11. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    I've been holding off on the DVD out of the assumption a blu-ray would be coming shortly. Lean's films generally lend themselves nicely to HD presentations.

12. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Love this film. It's not an action film or a war film, although there is considerable conflict and suspense. Love the setting and the period detail, and I found way of life depicted in the hardscrabble Irish town a very interesting place to visit for two-and-half hours.. This is a romance about relationships that depends on the actors finding just the right emotional state of being. The performances are deeply felt, and Lean fine-tunes the actors like violin strings. RYAN'S DAUGHTER shows David Lean at the peak of his creativity as a dramatist and director of actors.

The criticism is much ado about nothing. Some people wanted every David Lean film to be another LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, like Peckinpah fans wanted every film to be another THE WILD BUNCH. They wouldn't accept him doing any other kind of story. Nobody complained about SUMMERTIME when it was new. Everybody loved it. But that was before Lean upped the ante with BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAII and LAWRENCE.

The DVD boasted one of the highest-quality transfers in the medium. A blu-ray can do no less. I'll buy RYAN'S DAUGHTER on blu the instant it becomes available.

benbess, cannon1 and Walsh61 like this.
  13. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    So will I.

14. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Well-Known Member

Luke J. Chung
    I hope to God that Warner Home Video's George Feltenstein and Ned Price are paying attention to this thread...this would be their baby to handle in getting this Lean cinematic gem to blu-ray!!!

cannon1 likes this.
  15. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    What a beautiful Blu-ray this will make. Money already set aside for this when it comes down the pipe.

16. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Well-Known Member

Is there anyone around here who wouldn't jump at the chance?

17. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    I've never seen the movie, but I've bought every David Lean release so far. Don't see why I wouldn't buy this one. :D