1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Triplettes of Belleville subtitled or dubber?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by JonBoriss, Feb 12, 2004.

1. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Going to see it tomorrow, the title says it all.

Edit-I meant to say dubbed not dubber, oops.

2. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

The print I saw was neither. There is no dialog from the characters on screen. The only talk comes from the commentators during the Tour so it really doesn't matter. Very much like Tati's films.

3. JonBoriss

hm, interesting. I don't know much about the film but the trailer is gorgeous and I am very excited to see it.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The print I saw back at the Boston Film Festival in September was neither until the very last line, which appeared to be dubbed in English. There is some French dialogue, but it is completely unnecessary - this is an entirely visual film, part of what makes it so amazing.

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Screenwriter

There is a small, small bit at the beginning which is subtitled.

Thought it was a cute jab.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'm also seeing it this weekend. A friend of mine saw it a few weeks ago and said it was fantastic, but it's not opening in my area until tomorrow.

7. JonBoriss

Yeah same with me. Those academy award nominations certainly helped it. I'm hoping that the same happens for City of God because I am dying to see it.

8. andrew markworthy

Believe it or not, it's already been on Brit TV (it was about the only thing worth watching over Christmas) and been repeated a couple of times on one of the BBC's digital satellite channels. It's perfectly easy to follow without knowing a word of French (but if you've got a basic schoolchild level of knowledge of the language you'll be able to pick up a lot of what little is said/written).

It's certainly worth watching, but don't necessarily expect to find it full of belly laughs.

It's also due out on DVD on 17th Feb (at least in R2). See e.g. http://www3.cd-wow.com. (if it's not on this page, just use the search engine).