What's new

Is this what is supposed to happen while doing a 'phase' test? (1 Viewer)

Athlon646464

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hello All! I hope you can help me, as I am stumped. I've searched everywhere on the 'net to no avail. I have a Yamaha RX-V795a AVR. While doing a phase test for the first time, I noticed the rear surrounds in my 5.1 setup act differently than the mains do during their test. While playing the 'noise' for testing 'in phase' I can hear the 'noise'. While playing the 'noise' for testing 'out of phase' there is silence. I'm testing with the old Avia disc. Is this normal? :confused:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No that's not what should happen. Out of phase will still produce sound. My guess is you have some surround mode enabled that is messing with the Dolby sound track. Make sure you have all the "enhancements" turn off. I wouldn't worry too much though. As long as you have your speakers hooked up correctly, you will be fine (+ to + and - to -). Some speakers are wired out of phase on purpose. BTW - Surrounds go on either side of the main seating area, not in back. I always mention this when I hear someone refer to 5.1 system as 'rear' surrounds.

Athlon646464

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thank you for your reply! When I get home later today I will check to see if I have any enhancements on. The speakers are Klipsch RS-3's, by the way, and they are indeed on the side of the room and facing each other.

Athlon646464

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Fixed! We recently had some work done in my home theater room. When I reconnected everything I had two devices connected to the same input on my AVR (one optical & one coaxial). One of the two devices was my BD player (the other being sound out from my TV). We had not watched a Blu-ray disc or DVD until last night. When we stuck the BD version of Blazing Saddles into the BD player last night, all I could get out of it was Pro Logic. That caused me to look at that wiring and see the error. Until then I had checked the polarity of my wiring for what seemed like a 1000 times, and never looked at that section of my AVR. When trying the two calibration discs I have, I never looked at the display on my AVR either to see what was being decoded. I must have reset my BD player 3 or 4 times to change the sound output settings of it!! Isn't it always the least likely place you look after you commit a series of stupid errors? Thank you to all who tried to help! I'm posting this in case someone with a similar issue else finds this thread in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks