What's new

Is this the best 32" HDTV direct view for around $1500? (1 Viewer)

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sony kv-32hv600 which is basically the same as the hs500 except for a few upgraded features and slightly different cosmetics. I believe the 32hv600's electronics are the same as the XBR models. I do feel it is is the best 32" HDTV for under $1500.

I just saw the 32hv600 on sale for $1299 at Fry's Electronics last weekend. I believe the new Sony models are starting to appear in stores, and that's why the prices are dropping for last year's models.

The 32hv600 is a great deal for $1299, but you might want to wait a few weeks and see what the new Sony models are like.

Cary

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32" Panasonic Tau-series HDTV that I'm selling. Originally purchased in late fall of 2001. The model code is CT-32HX41E. Check the "For Sale" forum. If interested, email me. I'll adjust the price according to any shipping costs.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, i've actually already bought the HS500 but it's not going to be delivered until June 1st when I move into my new apartment. I didn't want to have to move that sucker up 3 flights of stairs myself. :) So,.....

I also have to mention I actually ended up paying $1200 for my HS500. :) I got a great deal on a Best Buy ad and then I had Circuit City price match it! Do you really think this year's 32" Wega could be that much better?

Also, is the HV600 really that much better? Do they have the same picture tubes? What differences do you know of? I have yet to figure out the differences myself but I was wondering.

Dan.Becker

TimG

Second Unit
We have had the HS500 for about 6 months. If I remember correctly the only difference is the HS600 has a different (video amp?) and variable DRC. There was speculation that the 600's amp would help with higher quality sources, but I don't remember if it was ever proven or not. Also the variable DRC should help with lesser quality stations, you can turn it off, so they look better. As far as I know they have the same tube.

TimG

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the differences between these two models are very subtle. The HD wideband detailer video amp and the adjustable DRC Tim mentions are the main differences, AFAIK.

The hv600 also has a darker bezel around the tube, and maybe a different remote.

$1200 is a pretty good deal, not sure if it's worth waiting for the new models. Was the BestBuy ad in their Sunday circular? I don't remember seeing it.

Cary

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
It was in the Best Buy ad several weeks ago. Then I took it too Circuit City and they matched it minus another %10! :) Nice deal and I bought a 3 year extended warranty with in home service. With the warranty, delivery, and tax included I ended up spending almost exactly $1500 which is what the MSRP originally was. :)

Dan.B

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel,

I was just reading the thread regarding the new Sony KV-32HS510 and apparently it lists for $1299 at the GoodGuys:

http://goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?i...4&catky=733455

Not sure if the HS510 is worth the extra $99 over what you paid for the HS500. But one thing that just occured to me is that if the list on the new model is $1299, you should be able to deal down at least 10% to about $1100-$1200.

Either way, you can't really go wrong - Sony makes fine direct view TV's. Good luck,

Cary

Edit: Just noted in the spec's for the HS510 that it includes the HD Detailer wideband video amplifier, so that is one advantage going with the HS510.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks