1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this possible for under $350?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EarleD, May 27, 2003.

1. EarleD

EarleD Well-Known Member

Is it ppossible to get a scaler that would take my DirecTV input(svideo) an scale it to 16:9 and output it either svideo or component?

I am kinda sensitive to the stretch mode on my HDTV, and was thinking this might be a good idea until all stations are transmitting in 16:9.

earle

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

You might look on this site:

http://www.avtoolbox.com/

There is also a product called the "IScan Pro" that you may be able to find on eBay for that price.

But most of these box's do scaling, not 'stretch' modes.

You will also have the problem that these box's will do analog->digital->(processing)->analog conversion, then feed your televisions which will do analog->digital->(processing)->display.

That's a lot of conversion & processing. And your source? A video signal designed in the 1940's for a 9" black and white tube, processed digitally to go to a sat system and then converted back to analog at your SVideo jack.

That's at least 3 total conversions, not to mention compression in the sat system.

You might solve your stretch mode issue, but get poor picture quality. Then again, it could work fine.

If you do buy one of these box's, try and get it from a place with a good return policy. And please, let us know the results good or bad.

3. EarleD

EarleD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I might try one of the scalers, if I do I will get back to here a post my results

Earle