1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this installation estimate too much?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by NolanJ, Dec 8, 2004.

1. NolanJ

NolanJ Well-Known Member

I am getting an Alpine head unit with a sirius tuner, ipod adapater and autostart Viper alarm system installed.

The price I was quoted was $350. They said it was high because of the autostart alarm.

Is this price high? Am I getting jipped or is this a fair price?

2. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Well-Known Member

You are being hosed. Shop around. Up here in Alberta, no way would that price ever fly.

Shop some more...

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Well-Known Member

Greg
    $350 isn't bad if the dash has to be significantly modified (to hold the iPod). The alarm systems are typically hooking up a few wires to the harness. If they are just tossing the unit in the dash then $350 is way to high. If they are doing a very clean pro install with dash mods then $350 is a great deal.

4. Cody Payne

Cody Payne Member

install everything yourself for free. [​IMG]

5. StephenHa

StephenHa Well-Known Member

what kind of car?

6. NolanJ

NolanJ Well-Known Member

2000 toyota celica... the alarm part was $200 by itself (it was a Viper autostart alarm)

7. Chris_CAS

Chris_CAS New Member

Agreed. If I were to do a clean, professional job with mods then that would not be out of the question. It all depends on the final product you want. Best Buy install? Too much. Real install? Good deal.

8. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Active Member

Cant decipher if thats $200 for the install of the alarm or the purchase of the alarm???

If thats is including purchase of the alarm then its a great price. If not, then its a bit high. Shop around some more. My local shop would be about $150-$200 to install all that and that includes any bracket, wire and adapters needed.

9. Sam_S

Sam_S Active Member

If you purchased the parts from this store, that's too high. If they're like Tweeter- and they add a bench test fee to every item they install that you didn't buy from them- then that's pretty standard.

I paid far more for my Viper install, but I also made sure I was there when the install was happening (in the bay, which they normally forbid), and so I had total control over how he wired my alarm, where the brain went, etc. It allowed me to have a truely stealth alarm install... which was worth the extra cost to me.

In terms of install of the HU and Ipod- if it's a standard size head unit- and Sirus installs like any normal antena would... then that's a little silly to pay that much. The work involved is minimal, and you might want to look into doing it yourself.

10. eddie-M

eddie-M Active Member

does the price include all that stuff or just installing it. If its just installing it, shoot I'll do it for 250 [​IMG]