What's new

Is there not a Mary Tyler Moore box set? (1 Viewer)

dheianevans

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
The missus asked me about this and I began Googling. I saw an announcement of a Mary Tyler Moore complete series back in 2009, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Did the release fall through?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
When Fox first announced the complete series box set, individual season sets for the later seasons had not yet been released. They was alot of negative feedback from people complaining they would have to double dip on the first seasons in order to get the entire series. Fox apparently changed their minds and just released the remaining seasons individually. No box set. A shame this series didn't get the same treetment as the Dick Van Dyke Show.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If enough fans had bought the individual season sets then there would not have been a problem.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
I can live without a series set, but I wish they would have kept the quality up on the season set packaging - the first four look great on the shelf and the last three were as no-frills crappy as the worst public domain set. That's no way to treat a classic series.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Before Xmas last year I did see complete series set at Costco (they also had one for "Reba") so it must have been an exclusive. Both sets were around $75 and the MTM set had the S1 cover art in a longer rectangular box. I just looked on eBay but there are none for sale there.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Garysb said:
When Fox first announced the complete series box set, individual season sets for the later seasons had not yet been released. They was alot of negative feedback from people complaining they would have to double dip on the first seasons in order to get the entire series. Fox apparently changed their minds and just released the remaining seasons individually. No box set. A shame this series didn't get the same treetment as the Dick Van Dyke Show.
This. But what's interesting is that they released S5-7 in the smaller cases, and re-released the earlier seasons in the same ones. If I didn't know better, this might have been the casing the CDs would have been in had they been part of a series set. (they're also simplified in that each has the episode titles in the case. So I wonder if there would have been a booklet with details)

At least we got the whole series either way, I guess. Fox seems to be ashamed of the MTM library.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
rmw650 said:
I'm still holding out hope that someone or anyone (doesn't have to be Shout) completes Rhoda S5 and allows the fans a complete series of that show.
Again, this. I know S5 is past shark jump era to some (and if anything, that version of the theme song stunk), but still. Given recent current events, it would make Valerie Harper proud.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
rmw650 said:
Exactly and it's only 13 episodes to boot so why not just simply finish the series and allow us fans to complete the set? The show no longer airs on TV anymore and SHOUT has been dragging their arms and tails across for many years on this release, so if they can't do it, then find a company that can.
Also, if they get the rights to it, they should include the "Carlton Your Doorman" cartoon, which I believe has not been seen outside of its original broadcast or the Paley Center.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
There are a lot of threads devoted to this show so I just thought I'd jump in on this one. I haven't watched this show in years but it was regular viewing when I was a child. How well does it hold up? I watched it on Tv land years ago & enjoyed it. Are there seasons that are much stronger than others? I'd like to pick up a season to give it a try.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Mary Tyler Moore Show was one of the most consistent series in the history of television. The writing remained crisp, funny, and interesting through its seven years on the air, and it went out before it ran out of ideas or the characters wore out their welcomes. I'd choose, say, season five.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'd choose, say, season five.

That's funny Matt because I found myself somewhat disappointed in Season Five overall as compared to the seasons that surrounded it. It's a fine season (NONE of them was bad) but I thought they were still trying to figure out how to fill the loss of Rhoda and hadn't quite gotten there yet. It's consistently entertaining but doesn't to my mind have quite as many highs (especially the second half) as we are used to.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Season five was the first one that won the Best Comedy Series Emmy for the show after it had lost to All in the Family (for three years) and MASH (in the previous season). MTM won for its fifth, sixth, and seventh seasons. I truly think all of the seasons are top notch, but I was suggesting off the top of my head and hadn't stopped to look at the run-down of episodes. I'll do that at some point tonight and weigh back in later.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
To the extent that a debate like this can be "won", you could still "win", but I would personally be reluctant to press the case on the basis of awards. Too many times, we see individuals or shows honored belatedly, or honored only in their final season. Part of the reason was that for many years, many of the awarding bodies were accused of simply acknowledging the "same old faces" year after year. Plus, I've yet to mention that the playing field might not have been even, with some networks or personalities campaigning more forcefully than others for awards.

I would be more inclined to press the case by noting, by way of example, that "Chuckles, The Clown" aired in Season "X", so that if even if Season "X" had a handful of duds, "Chuckles" alone put Season "X" over the top.

Last edited:

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I would say, in my opinion, Season 4 was the best season. As Valerie Harper (Rhoda) was about to exit "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" to star in her own series "Rhoda", Betty White's character, Sue Ann Nivens was starting in the series. Season 4 is the ONLY season that featured ALL of the main characters in the series. Rhoda was still in the 4th season for the majority of the time (I believe she left before the last two episodes of the 4th season ended). Sue Ann Nivens made her debut in the first episode of the 4th season, called "A Lars Affair" which is a classic episode featuring Phyllis (Cloris Leachman) finding out that her husband is having an affair with Sue Ann. The cat fight between the two of them was priceless!!! There were other great classic episodes in that season as well....."The Dinner Party", "Happy Birthday Lou" (two classic episodes that featured Mary's horribly bad parties), "The Lou and Edie Story", "Lou's First Date" (two episodes that centered around Lou Grant (Ed Asner) becoming a single man again after being married for many years), And "Best Of Enemies", "Co-Producers", and "Better Late.....That's A Pun....Then Never" which center around the friendship of Mary and Rhoda. But mainly why season 4 was so great, like with all the seasons, it was the strong characters and relationships among them. It just so happen, Season 4, was the only Season to feature them all (with one exception......the very last episode of season 7......"The Last Show")

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To the extent that a debate like this can be "won", you could still "win", but I would personally be reluctant to press the case on the basis of awards. Too many times, we see individuals or shows or shows honored belatedly, or honored only in their final season. Part of the reason was that for many years, many of the awarding bodies were accused of simply acknowledging the "same old faces" year after year. Plus, I've yet to mention that the playing field might not have been even, with some networks or personalities campaigning more forcefully than others for awards.

I would be more inclined to press the case by noting, by way of example, that "Chuckles, The Clown" aired in Season "X", so that if even if Season "X" had a handful of duds, "Chuckles" alone put Season "X" over the top.

Chuckles bit the dust in season 5, the year they won the first Emmy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks