What's new

Is there going to be a 50% off Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble soon? (1 Viewer)

It usually starts in early July doesn't it? Does anyone know when or if it is going to happen this year?

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
I thought I saw on another website that it is scheduled to run from 7/10 - 7/31
Here is the link. Not sure how trustworthy the info is, but FWIW:
http://slickdeals.net/f/4853542-Barnes-and-Noble-Criterion-Blu-ray-Collection-50-Off-07-10-07-30

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's what I recently "heard" as well. Since 7/10 is tomorrow, won't take long to find out for sure now.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
bluray.com has a fairly long thread on it already with several people confirming with BN employees that the sale will start tomorrow in store and sometime after midnight tonight online. Officially it supposed to be 3am EDT, but the prices often go live before 1am EDT and always with a few glitches. Last sale BN.com allowed all the preorders at 50% including those that weren;t supposed to be released until well after than sale ended.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
The sale has started
And the B2G1 sale is still active as well -- at least until MN Pacific when the B2G1 sale is scheduled to end.
3 regular Criterions for $40 is a steal (assuming they don't get cancelled) and don't even have to leave the house.
This sale's glitch is even better than the last one.

I was trying to take advantage of this but it must have ended while I was still shopping at 3 PM Eastern. I wasn't thinking about the B2G1 ending at that time. Please let me know if anyone actually gets this with both discounts shipped, just for my curiosity.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/322140/is-there-going-to-be-a-50-off-criterion-sale-at-barnes-and-noble-soon#post_3946957
Anybody know if the $8 off one $40 DVD/Blu-Ray coupon will work with the $39.99 Criterion Blus? It seems a shame to lose out on such a coupon over one penny.
Either way, I plan on heading over to my local B&N this afternoon and picking up The 39 Steps. Thanks for the updates, everyone!

That question arose in last November's or last July's sale, and I think it seemed to depend on who was ringing you up, if in the store. I presented mine to the department manager and he said absolutely, and it rang up fine. Don't know about online -- if the coupon is an online one as well. Anyway....it worked for me last year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
That question arose in last November's or last July's sale, and I think it seemed to depend on who was ringing you up, if in the store.  I presented mine to the department manager and he said absolutely, and it rang up fine.  Don't know about online -- if the coupon is an online one as well.  Anyway....it worked for me last year.
Thanks for sharing! On the weight of your experience I printed out a coupon and decided to give it a shot tonight. But the manager at my store interpreted the small font to mean the price it rang up on the register, not the list price on the sticker, which meant I was way too low for the discount. So it's either a store by store thing, or they've changed the wording on their coupons to prevent aggressive discount stacking. Hopefully if any one else gives the coupon a shot, they'll post how they make out.
Still, getting a $39.99 movie for $17.99+tax is nothing to sneeze at. I'm a happy camper.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
That question arose in last November's or last July's sale, and I think it seemed to depend on who was ringing you up, if in the store.  I presented mine to the department manager and he said absolutely, and it rang up fine.  Don't know about online -- if the coupon is an online one as well.  Anyway....it worked for me last year.
I've never been able to get that coupon to work in store. Online is will only work if the after 50% price is $40. The wording is identical to last years and it's always been a clerk
by clerk thing even in store. apparently if you go through the steps it will work on just about anything regardless of price if the clerk follows the correct order listed in the
instructions specifically to go through all the steps before scanning the coupon.
I'm going to try it again for the Samurai Trilogy and see if I can get a great deal instead of just a good deal, but my sale is basically over before it even gets started good after
last nights frenzy. Other than the trilogy the only things left really are the three 7/17 and 7/24 releases that weren;t eligible for the B2G1 deal.
I did get several order in the B2G1/50% sale. So far 4 of those orders have shipping confirmation. I did multiple 3 disc orders so that if some got cancelled I had the
chance that a $40 order wouldn't be as conspicuous as a $200 order and get canned. Plus it helped get the 3 14.99 titles the max discount compared to the 19.99 titles.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Darn! Forgot about the potential B2G1/50%-off overlap, so didn't make a point to try to shop during the overlap period. Ah well...

I will probably give the $8-off coupons a few tries over the course of the sale. I did manage to use it successfully w/out problem in-store a couple times during the last sale although I can't recall if I tried it on anything w/ $39.99 list price -- I may have only tried it on titles that listed at >=$45.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Darn!  Forgot about the potential B2G1/50%-off overlap, so didn't make a point to try to shop during the overlap period.  Ah well...
_Man_
It's the first time it's happened since I've been trying to catch the overlap. I think it only happened once before and usually the B2G1 is specifically blocked, but this time
it worked and nobody has been cancelled from any of the online sites. I'm 100% shipped and should be arriving tomorrow.
Every sale something unusual happens. I;ve not had any success at all with the 8 off coupons and all my 'local' stores block anything essentially under $80 ($40 after
50% off). Right or wrong, my locals have definitely been consistent and there is no YMMV play clerk roulette.
Supposedly a bunch of single use email coupons are supposed to be showing up tomorrow if you get BN emails -- "Surprise" %off varying from 10-50%. I actually
got a 50% last time which was great for the David Lean box and i didn't have to wait 4 months for the sale though I would have saved a few dollars.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/322140/is-there-going-to-be-a-50-off-criterion-sale-at-barnes-and-noble-soon#post_3946957
Anybody know if the $8 off one $40 DVD/Blu-Ray coupon will work with the $39.99 Criterion Blus? It seems a shame to lose out on such a coupon over one penny.
Either way, I plan on heading over to my local B&N this afternoon and picking up The 39 Steps. Thanks for the updates, everyone!
Thanks much for the coupon link, Adam! I just picked up three Criterion Blu-rays (Godzilla; Being John Malkovich; & Harold and Maude) for $40.97 before tax. I got my extra 10% member discount on all three, plus, I also used the "$8 off one" and "$5 off $50" coupons. I just told the clerk I had a couple of coupons. He scanned them and away I went. No fuss, no muss. I love this semi-annual sale!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got almost everything I needed (??) via the B2G1, but I did pick up The Samurai Trilogy in store yesterday. For the first time ever I was able to use the 8off40, but it took
a long time as the clerk struggled to figure out what to do and I was already set for failure. I'd already failed to get my 30%off Mystery Email coupon to work. Finally the
manager told the very nice older lady (hey anyone older than me is rare these days) who was helping me to do a manual entry and I got out for $25 after tax.
I was ecstatic.
Now just waiting for the 3 releases in the next 10 days while the sale is active and all expectations are than Criterion.com will have another 1/2 sale when their
Facebook page reaches 100000 likes (they are about 400-500 away so if recent trends hold that should be next weekend. I think Criterion.com allows preorders
to go through their sale so all those great Aug/Sept releases may not have to wait until the Nov BN sale. Anticipation is a 100000 second sale (27 hours).
For those participating or soon to be -- BN seems to have blocked all online coupons from working. Instore the % off coupons do not scan, but some of the 5off50 and 8off40
can still be used. In store, some folks are still getting discounts if the clerk manually enter coupons, but this is a big YMMV

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, B&N seems to be gradually doing away w/ much of the online deals. Can't get the old cashback bonus via ShopDiscover w/ the Discover Card anymore either, which I used to use to replace the 10% in-store member's discount when I'm not using reward GCs to pay. Anyway, the sale (plus coupons) had generally worked better in-store for me, so the additional online restriction isn't that big a deal to me (at least as long as they continue to keep good stock and let me use coupons in-store)...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Yeah, B&N seems to be gradually doing away w/ much of the online deals.  Can't get the old cashback bonus via ShopDiscover w/ the Discover Card anymore either, which I used to use to replace the 10% in-store member's discount when I'm not using reward GCs to pay.  Anyway, the sale (plus coupons) had generally worked better in-store for me, so the additional online restriction isn't that big a deal to me (at least as long as they continue to keep good stock and let me use coupons in-store)...
_Man_
A lot of the cashback sites no longer list BN. BOA's Add-it-Up has dropped BN. AAA is gone, somebody else mentioned a different Cashback site was no longer active though memory fails me which site it was.
Just about the only site I can still find still listing BN is E Bates though the current is only 2%. It was 5 or 6% during the Nov sale and Black Friday/December season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks