What's new

Is there any REALLY good DVD player out there without shelling the big bucks? (1 Viewer)

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Afraid to "throw away money on crappy gear" I come to you folks. It looks like the early models of almost all brands are more reliable than recent models except for the expensive ones. I want to get a third player this Christmas (I can explain why three, but some other time), but It looks like spending a lot more gives you some reliability.

I have a second generation Pioneer (DV-505) no component, no DTS, runnung like a tank, flawless all these 3 years (knocking wood) with heavy rental use. Paid full price then. Bought a Yamaha DVD-796 for DTS and Component and it has been just as good as the Pioneer for the year I've had it. Both have been glitch free and flawless performers. But I had to pay more than 500$ each.

But it looks like all sub 500$ players have issues by reading your posts and threads. Once I fall in love with a new model, zap! it starts to show some problems that disapoints you and me.

So, are there any exceptions out there? One in particular? I want to avoid multiple brand/model suggestions, just narrow it to a small group of models so I (and others) can choose. Thanks for any help.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Maybe you could specify what you're looking for in terms of features. SACD, DVD-A, progressive?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The panasonic rp91 can be had for less than $500. It's probably the best out there without going into the thousands. Of course, some of it's features might not be important to you, so you could get something cheaper, and some folks here disagree that it's the best in it's price range, but I think it fair to say, that it would get the most votes.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Since my TV is not HD-capable and have no plans to change it soon, progressive tecnology, although tempting and impresive, is not relevant to make a purchase.
As for SACD and DVD-A, the same goes to them, both are promising and tempting (even if I have a 6 channel analog input), but thier lack of bass managment for analog output, lack of digital ouputs for thier multichannel tracks, lack of software and format war-confusion, It's safe for me to wait until the blood of the loser sheds and the winner becomes standard (I like to dream ;)).
So that's it. If THE chosen player has these capabilities I won't care, I will welcome them for future uses. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, all of Sony's multi-channel SACD players, including the ones that play DVDs, offer bass management for SACD playback.

A player you might want to look at is the Technics DVD-A10. It is last year's model, but is an excellent player all-around. I bought one from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) back in February for $380 and have been extremely pleased with it. J&R still has it for $350, and I don't think you can beat it at that price. In case you aren't familiar with the 'A10, it is a single-disc interlaced player that offers DVD-Audio. Build quality is excellent, as the 'A10 weighs about 19 lbs. The remote is quite good as well. Now, the 'A10 doesn't offer bass management for DVD-Audio, but that's common among DVD-Audio players. As much as I like SACD, I would have to say that the 'A10 is a higher-quality component than Sony's budget DVD/SACD players ('NS500V and 'NC650V). The Sony players look and feel like budget players; the Technics unit does not. In fact, the original retail price of the 'A10 was $1200. Part of the high initial retail price of the 'A10 can be attributed to the fact that it is a first-generation DVD-Audio player, but it is still a quality piece.

The Panasonic 'RP91 is the successor to the 'A10 and adds progressive-scan video output, which you said you don't need. The 'RP91 looks to be an impressive machine, but it is not built as well as the 'A10. I don't know how the two compare on the audio side. I'd say the 'A10 would be the way to go for only $350.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, after submitting my last post, I realized you are in Venezuela. That could rule out J&R. Maybe you can get the 'A10 locally?

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
KeithH, thanks for suggesting. In deed the A10 looks like a no-brainer, but in the economy that Venezuela is going through no dealer ever considers showing top-of -the-line models such as this and other models. You see, in order for people like you and me to get the goods and some high end stuff around here is thru two ways: Travel to the states or throw yourself to the unmerciful blood-sucking specialized dealers and a couple of high-end stores. I had to spend twice as much as you to get all my Monster and MIT cables. Thank God that the ONLY Yamaha dealer here is a friend of mine and gives me some pretty good discounts.
So, I have to choose between entry level models and mid line models when I hit the big local Joe six pack audio-video dealers. All they have is Sony's, Pioneers, Panasonic and Toshibas. So it'll be among these choices where you'll have to help me, because this Christmas I won't be able to go to visit my relatives in the States (Dad, aunt, cousins and friends). And I want to add a very good and reliable and also inexpensive DVD player to my bedroom rig. The living room rig as everything (for now ;)) sans progressive picture.
Any suggestions with these brands mentioned. They are all good with picture and sound, especially when the receiver takes care of it. All I want is a glicht/bug free player that stands up to the quest, that is heavy renting and occasional buying. Thanks again.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'll second Keith's recommendation. If you don't need Progressive scan you can't beat the quality of the Technics DVD-A10 for $350 from J&R. The thing is built like a tank (weighs 19 lbs) and has great features, just no progressive scan for video or bass management for DVD-Audio and DTS. It's a great CD player too, but won't play CD-Rs. Also, won't do MP3s if you care about that (I don't).

The Pioneer 505 is a nice machine. Pioneer sells the 626D, a player with built in DTS decoding as well as DD, for around $200 refurbished at their web site. If you've liked your 505 you may want to check that out, but I don't know the warrantee ramifications for out of country.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Philip, it's good to hear from you again. How is you Sony MD deck doing? Did you get it fixed? hope so? Well, the fact that I am not going to the states this season limits my choices here. And current web sites don't have international policies (most of them) and with the local P.O. Box tax the price goes way to much high to consider that. Like I said before, to get the goods not available here you have to travel or submit to the very few specialized dealers which are very greedy. Pioneers are good but adding a second one will interfere with their remote codes, pressing play on ones remote will activate both. Any way around it?

Anybody have hope in the Apex 7701 which is supposed to do DVDA, SACD, Progressive Scan and probably whip cream too for $399?

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the Apex 7701 in the J&R ad in the back of S&V today for $299. I am interested in the player but I also would like to hear more about it.

Anyone have this player or know of reviews on it?

Thanks,

rin

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Anybody has anything to say about the Pioneer DV-343 and Toshiba SD-1200? Please. all I want is a glitch free player, reliability.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Barton, I have the Pioneer 333 and the Toshiba 1200. They are both solid performers, tho I think the edge goes to the Pioneers really because if its truley a 1200 your looking at (1200 is a year and half old model), it cannot play CD-R.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks