What's new

Is there any more news on the Bob Newhart Show or Newhart? (1 Viewer)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
So this complete series set should have regular, single-sided dvds for the first four seasons then, or is Shout more likely to leave them as they were?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
JoeDoakes said:
Did any one else think that Newhart went downhill a bit after the first two seasons. I really thought that Steve Kampmann's Kirk character was the funniest one on the show.
I was never a fan of the Kirk character and thought the series improved when the character left the show.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Astairefan said:
So this complete series set should have regular, single-sided dvds for the first four seasons then, or is Shout more likely to leave them as they were?
Well, in the past, they've re-pressed Leave it to Beaver seasons 1 and 2 as single sided discs for the complete series, and probably done the same for other series I just don't recall at this time, so odds are, they would do the same for Bob.

But, nothing has been confirmed yet.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Astairefan said:
For the "Barney Miller" box set, Shout included the DVDs already released by Sony for Seasons 1-3, and then pressed their own DVDs for the last five seasons. I'm not sure, but they may have done the same for the "All in the Family" box set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For the AITF complete series Shout did fix their own botched S7 which was encoded wrong.

I'm a bit torn on whether to get the complete or not since I've had S1-4 all this time but I will not wait a year just to see individual releases. I want to have this finished now!

So that's two of my "three B's" titles freed from Purgatory. "Burke's Law" please come soon!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never got the sense they intended to release S2 of "Fish". They only released S1 because that was running concurrent with Barney Miller with Fish on both shows but in S2 he was now gone completely from Barney Miller. And frankly given how bad S1 was when I saw it (Fish does not work as a lead; his role was to be a supporting player reacting to things, but you can not do the "he's a grouch but a softie deep down" week after week without it getting tiresome) I'm not anxious to see it come myself.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
For the AITF complete series Shout did fix their own botched S7 which was encoded wrong.

I'm a bit torn on whether to get the complete or not since I've had S1-4 all this time but I will not wait a year just to see individual releases. I want to have this finished now!

So that's two of my "three B's" titles freed from Purgatory. "Burke's Law" please come soon!

I would love to see a complete set of Burke's Law released.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'd forgotten that seasons 1-4 of The Bob Newhart Show were flipper discs. If the complete series set has everything on sigle sided discs, then I will definately be getting the complete series set. In this case I really won't mind the double dip. Two of the four seasons were gifts, so I only purchased two seasons. I'm totally stoked about finally getting to finish the series. I wonder if the final episode will contain the curtain call ending credits or will it contain the syndicated end credits? Perhaps someone should point this out to Shout so they can get the original broadcast ending.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Another question is will they include the "19th Anniversary" special from 1991 that served as a sequel to the last episode of "Newhart" amidst the clip retrospective?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Season 3 has been confirmed for Newhart.
JoeDoakes said:
Did any one else think that Newhart went downhill a bit after the first two seasons. I really thought that Steve Kampmann's Kirk character was the funniest one on the show.
That's how I always felt. Leslie & Kirk were a big part of the show and their loss hurt it quite a bit.

I still enjoy the later season, but don't care for Michael & Stephanie and found them obnoxious so I prefer the episodes that don't have much to do with either of them.

And they overused Larry, Darrell, and Darrell far too much and the Fonzie style applause they started to get every time they popped up quickly got old. I thought they were a fine addition in moderation, but once they realized they had a good thing with those characters, they drove it into the ground.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I got my complete series set of the Bob Newhart Show today and I did a quick spot check on the final episode. Well, we didn't get the curtain call ending credits like the original broadcast version. The only part of the curtain call we get is the final minute or so where the cast is clapping and waving to the studio audience. Bob is on the mike and is saying something but we can't hear it for the music. Then they all turn and walk off the stage. This is the syndicated ending credits. Sad. I really wish they had gotten the curtain call ending credits. I haven't checked out anything else on the set yet. I also didn't catch the running time for the final episode so I don't know if other then the curtain call, if anything else may have been edited. I will find out when I actually sit down to watch the whole series.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I pre-ordered it through the Shout website. If you did that, they were going to ship it a month early (4/22/14 instead of 5/22/14). I don't know how or why they shipped it early, but I'm not complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks