1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an affordable way to catch up on X-Files seaons 1-7? (w/REPRICING INFO)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nick Graham, May 21, 2003.

1. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Well-Known Member

$20 a month to Netflix and I'm watching the entire run of X-Files, Sopranos, Traffik, I Claudius, plus tons of movies I would never buy.

Plus theres nothing better than getting the red envelope in the mail!

2. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Keep a check on the Software FS/FT forum here as there is almost ALWAYS someone selling X-files sets there. They are typically around $60 or so.

Greg

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Well-Known Member

I had never even thought of Netflix...that's a good idea!

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

Another source is following half.com for sellers that state that it's a Region 1 US issue--I picked up seasons 5 and 6 for about $53 apiece for new sealed sets and wasn't ripped off. Check the feedbacks, though. These came from pawnshops, so there are some bargains floating around. You might not get them in order, but you can acquire the set for less than 50% of the retail without too much difficulty.

Next Generation is a little tougher to crack; I think Paramount's rapid release schedule made it difficult for people to buy up big stocks of them, but I've gotten a couple seasons very cheap on half.com too, and all non-bootlegs by being careful.

5. Rick P

Rick P Well-Known Member

Don't forget your neighborhood pawn shops...

got X-Files 3-6 there at (gasp) $25/set... boxes a little scuffed, discs perfect..

6. James Reader

James Reader Well-Known Member

I understand why Bootlegs are a forbidden topic on this forum, but isn't recommending second hand purchases just as bad?

After all, either way, the studio and creators will get no revenue from the sale.

7. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

Uh... the studio already got revenue from the initial sale of the product. Are you saying it should get a percentage each time that product is resold (like on Ebay, pawn shops, etc.)? That's dumb.

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Well-Known Member

James, you've never bought anything used?

9. James Reader

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Well-Known Member

> looking at the back of a Buena Vista DVD one of the conditions of sales is it cannot be "distributed". Isn't re-selling a form of "distribution".

I don't see how a studio could legally prevent you from selling a legally acquired DVD. Are you saying that if I have a DVD I decide I no longer want, I should just throw it away?

If you don't see the difference between that & bootlegging, I don't know what to say. I guess we should only buy new cars as well.

There are used bookstores everywhere- that's really killed the publishing industry, hasn't it?

11. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

Under that line of thinking, what do I do with my old car when I plan to buy a new one? Just destroy it rather than selling or trading it in? Does the car manufacturer deserve a percentage of that $1000 I got from selling it some some other guy?

I second the question posed to James above.... have you never bought any USED products? Never shopped at a garage sale or flea market? Never bought anything on Ebay?

I'm surprised someone is actually questioning whether or not we should purchase previously owned DVDs. The studio got their money when it was first sold, and that's all they deserve. They shouldn't have any claim to infinite resell value.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    I see your point, James, but assume there's a distinction somewhere since second-hand sales thrive in any number of chain stores and private shops.

I think it must have something to do with it being a legal copy that's being "recycled" vs. introducing additional bootlegged copies into the marketplace.

In the first case, the quantity of legit copies (for which the studio has been paid) remains the same, they just change owners. In the second, additional copies are being made available for sale for which the studio hasn't been paid at all.

13. James Reader

14. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

Here's how I see it:

The initial purchase of the product from the manufacturer/retailer is paying for the ownership of its contents. Any additional reselling of that product in the used market is simply a transfer of ownership. The studio should not be paid more than once for the same product. It's a one-time sale, and their revenue relies on a large volume of one-time sales. If they suddenly had a legal claim to inifinite resell value of the SAME product, that would screw over the entire consumer market and only increase piracy/bootlegging to avoid paying the retailer again for something you've already bought.

15. James Reader

16. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Well-Known Member

Nick-

Have you checked your public library? I don't know how ours compares to others around the country, but I can borrow almost any title I want, including series sets like the X-Files, as long as I'm willing to wait my turn... the lists tend to be on the long side, as one might imagine.

For me, the library has completely replaced rental places, and drastically cut down on the money I spend buying titles sight unseen.

17. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Indeed, Netflix is how I am catching up on whole seasons of shows that I originally had little interest or time to invest in, shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation - Deep Space Nine - Friends - Ab Fab or shows that I used to love but..
    #1 do not have the cash for and..
    #2 haven't seen in YEARS such as Space 1999 - Outer Limits - M.A.S.H. etc. etc.

I say try Netflix.

19. James Reader

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member