What's new

Is there a wife who doesn't turn the volume down? (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
GF enjoys the volume as much as I do and we DO LIKE IT LOUD yet clear.....
I personally never thought my system was THAT loud until some neighbors came over and had to wait on the porch for several minutes until a quite scene so we could hear them knock..... they said that the SVS was really shaking the house..........
I often hear GF talking to friends and family about the system we have and she is about as thrilled about it as I am.....whenever we have visitors, one main thing is to audition some of the best scenes for them.....

Riche_guy

Auditioning
I agree with David Johnson that most women's ears are more sensitive then men so that they perceive sound as being louder. I'm not sure if anyone notice, but older people like my parents for one cannot handle loud rumbling noise. My father listens to his home theater in dolby digital, but extremely turned down. What's the point!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Riche_guy

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
My girlfriend never ever complains. She even picks out movies that she thinks will sound good turned up. We just saw Drumline, and she loved it. When she knows that I've been tinkering with the system, she always tells me that she likes what I've done to it. She even watches movies loud when she's by herself. Lucky Me!!!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Michael S

Agent
Johnny--just remember that after you have been married for a bunch of years, things are subject to change:D

Michael S.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mine just did it too me while I watched Underworld. This movie rocks in all channels.

Kevin

Dan KW

Agent
Sometimes I think mine is worse than me. I have to tell HER to turn it down :) We live in an apartment and I don't want to bug the neighbors later into the night. I like it loud during the day but after 5ish I usually keep the volume lower. I can't wait until after the wedding when we get a house and we can both enjoy our movies and music loud.

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is just a tad bit more rabid about this stuff than I am, so no, she never turns it down or requests it to be. We did notice that after we re-wired everything with a lower gauge/higher quality wire that it's a lot louder at lower volume, so we compensated accordingly, but it's still at the same spl now. It's just a lower setting on the receiver.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Reference level, no....

Just below that and she seems ok with it, even enthusiastic....

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
A couple of things to consider:

1. Ever notice how tuna fish really stinks if you are not the one eating it? I think it is similar with music/movies. If you are not listening/watching, it always sounds too loud.

2. It is my understanding that, generally speaking, women have better hearing than do men. Perhaps your wife can hear the distortion created when you turn your system volume up to a level greater than it can produce cleanly. Maybe she can hear distortion that you can't hear.

I'm certainly not saying that these things explain why your wife might ask you to turn it down, but I think they could well be contributing factors.

Or, maybe you do listen too loud ;)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My former wife would also complain about the volume. But she also for the first 7 months complained about how much I spent on my McIntosh MX-130 :rolleyes:This was stupid because I bought this before we even started dating. After that when she would invite her friends and neighbors over to watch a movie. She started to brag how good it sounded and did not complain as much about the volume. This is not to say that she stoped complaining :laugh: I dont think women have better hearing as my former wife claimed to be tone deaf, lmao. Some men have better hearing and some women to have great hearing. I just think some wives like to nag, it must be the nag jean that is passed on from generation to generation :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks