What's new

Is there a movie out there that I can make my guest naucious this weekend? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Having people over this coming up weekend and was wanting to know which movies that could make my friends queasy :D. I know there's a list of low bass movies on the SVS website but aren't those just snippets? I need something that has low bass throughout. I have a room that's about 14x18x8. SVS 25-31 (22hz tuned). Properly calibrated....i think. :)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
That gives you a good idea of the better ones. Another good one that may or may not be on the website is Twister.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The standards: Terminator2:UE (ES), Titan AE (DTS), Toy Story 2 (EX), From Hell (DTS), Star Wars:TPM (EX), Fight Club:SE (DD), Gladiator:CE (ES), The Haunting (DTS), U-571 (DTS), JP3 (DTS), Superspeedway:Mach II (ES)

Some others that are often overlooked or underrated: Abyss:SE (DD), Se7en:SE (ES), Blade (DD), Contact (DD), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (DTS), Final Fantasy (DD), Iron Giant (DD)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Make a CD with a 22hz test tone and loop it. 30 minutes of that will probably make them naucious.

What I like to do is overlap a 10,000hz tone with a 23hz, and do fast sweeps from 5,000 to 10,000. Makes my dogs run outside and I have to plug my ears if I play it loud.

Anways, the bass movie demo I do for friends:

Titan AE - Ice crystal chapter
Star Wars EP1 - THX intro, pod race scene
The light sabre fight scenes sound amazing at reference level
Matrix - Helecopter explosion, lobby scene, beginning sequence
Oceans 11 - hotel demolition
Harry Potter - (just to make them queasy) jk

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Make a CD with a 22hz test tone and loop it. 30 minutes of that will probably make them naucious.
What I like to do is overlap a 10,000hz tone with a 23hz, and do fast sweeps from 5,000 to 10,000. Makes my dogs run outside and I have to plug my ears if I play it loud.
:laugh: :laugh:
:laugh:
If you got a large RPTV, try
IMAX - "THE LIVING SEA" - dts & Dolby Digital 5.1
... made my daughter slightly sea-sick viewing this DVD on my 16:9 50" Toshiba HDTV!! :) I told I'd warn her the next time I play "The Living Sea" DVD again, so she could take Dramamine.
Phil

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Lost in Space (initial ship exploding, launch sequence)

Desperadoes (initial bar fight, second bar fight, library explode, fight with friends)

Contact (wormhole)

DAS BOOT (many good effects such as attack on the sub's integrety due to water pressure and depth charge and much better than U571)

Avengers (oops, what a stinker)

Martice

Screenwriter
If you have the Bass Mekanik v5.0 CD you have to use track #18 titled 'System Checka'. It is one of the most disturbing tonal sweeps I've ever heard and has made my wife run for the hills while threating to cut me off from everything sacred. :b The whole CD is nothing but bass on demand tracks and it will definitely test your subs chin.

If you'd like I could 3 day a copy of the CD to you. In fact, I will make a copy this morning and take it to work with me in case you would like me to send it to you today. Just e-mail me and we'll hook it up. All I need is for you to repay the shipping costs.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Everyone else took my suggestions so nothing original, but my vote goes to Star Wars: TPM and Gladiator for movies with good, consistent bass and effects. The Matrix is no slouch either.

--Steve

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Check out the 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition of Tron. You won't be disappointed. It gave my SVS a real workout in almost every scene.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
My show off DVD is usually U-571 and Das Boot. I love going from complete silence to thunderous bass. It kind of scares the hell out of whoever I am torturing at the moment :) Here are the good ones.
Matrix
Toy Story 2
SW:TPM
U-571
Das Boot
The Haunting
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Se7en
TitanAE
Fight Club
From Hell

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I like the first attack scene form Pearl Harbor. I turn it up to about 5db from reference and stand back. Your guests will know it's coming but there's nothing they can do to stop it.
When the second bomb explodes, it shakes the couch violently. It gets the wow's every time. ;)
Also, The JP3 intro is pretty cool. Starts off with a low rumble and just gets louder and louder. I'd say if you are looking to watch a whole movie, this is a pretty good one. Effects from beginning to end. And the movie isn't half bad either.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend "Titanic". It made me queezy, but moreso from the story than the effects. Cheese usually has that affect on me! :)
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, Titanic has some very good bass on it. It was also measured at ref cal to produce 109dB during a few scenes (though I don't remember which, but probably when the ship is breaking up).

Saving Private Ryan DTS!!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
It was also measured at ref cal to produce 109dB during a few scenes (though I don't remember which, but probably when the ship is breaking up).
John,
That's the only reason I'd ever watch it again! Well, that and to see the fat girl nekid! :)
Brian

Robert Cobb

Agent
I like to return to the T-Rex scene in the original Jurassic Park (DTS). Most folks are familiar with the movie and get a nice surprise when they find out what they've been missing.

Larry_W

Agent
Blackhawk Down

If the explosions don't make him nauseous from the intense bass ass-kicking from the SVS, I'm sure the artery scene will.

Running over to BestBuy during lunch to pick it up.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Nobody metioned Atlantis The Lost Empire, VERY VERY bassy, mroet han Titan AE, I was chaking the entire movie.

BlackHawk Down should be a good one..... can't wait for the theatre to be finished!

Keir H

Second Unit
Martice, thanks very much for the offer. I'll do that and send it back. It's basically a setup disc for low frequencies?

Keir H

Second Unit
Hey! I just realized that scence in SPR where the guys are all out there listening to the grammaphone when there's this low rumble in the distance. It gets louder and louder til the guys finally jump to see what's coming.

Test: I wonder if anyone knows what freq. this is to gauge if your sub( SVS) is picking it up at the right moment..as the director intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks