1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is There a DVD Player That Can Compensate for Overscan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillG, Feb 21, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

The amount of overscan I have on my TV (Hitachi Ultravision 32' HDTV Monitor) is killing me. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any DVD players on the market that can zoom out in very small increments. Just enought to compensate for the TV overscan. Let me know (also with Progressive Scan)

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    Have you tried accessing the set's service menu? There was too much overscan on my 32" but I was able to change that in the service menu. I doubt that you'll find a DVD player to do the trick.

3. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Nah, I checked the tv meun pretty extensively, Couldn't find anything that related to Overscan (unless I'm Missing something). Does anyone else have this model TV?

Also, I think I read a post from someone that said they did have a DVD player that could Zoom out in small increments.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

The Malata N520 can do what you're asking for. It's called x-y scaling

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

My Toshiba 2800 does that. It creates a small border on all four sides of the image. This feature most likely is on Toshiba's current players.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

What 'exactly' does your Toshiba 2800 do? Is it actually pixel-scaling or some sort of fixed zoom? Do you get to adjust it? Does it work regardless of aspect ratio? Anamorphic or non-anamorphic?

I'm dying to get pixel scaling (without losing too much picture quality from my rp91 or cp-72), but hadn't heard that the Toshiba could do this, or anything like this.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

It's like a reverse zoom that makes the image slightly smaller than its true size. It looks similar but not exactly like the "Say My Name" video from the Destiny's Child DVD video collection. It is accessed thru the Toshiba's zoom mode. It works on any image displayed. However, it is fixed and not adjustable.

8. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Well, does anyone have the model TV I described up above (32" Hitachi Ultravision HDTV Monitor) Does this have normal overscan or high overscan. Is there anyway I can adjust it?

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Well-Known Member

Overscan usually differs depending on the actual set, ask in the display devices secion for help on accessing the service menu and adjusting the overscan.