What's new

Is there a director's cut that truly works ? (2 Viewers)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
But then again, all movies are about making money. otherwise they wouldn't be greenlit.

There's no rule that says a studio's attempts to make money should inhibit my enjoyment of that product. The quality of the product should be the only thing factoring into my enjoyment of it. So they re-edit the flick to get me back in the theater. I don't HAVE to go. But I do. Why? Because it's still that movie, even if there's like, 5 minutes changed. I don't feel "Dirty" or "Fooled" or "Taken advantage of" or whatever simply because the idea behind the re-cut was greenlit so the studio could make money on a re-release.

Most movies are made with the purpose of making money first and foremost. Even art flicks (reading "Spike, Mike, Slackers and Dykes" by John Pierson opened my eyes to a lot of that) aren't exempt from this.

Neil: I think you're letting your hardcore "DONT EVER TOUCH THE FILM" stance color your view of Ridley's remarks--there's been a couple that actually run the spectrum, and then there's the one that you posted that doesn't really sound like "I've all but disowned this cut" at all, actually. I could just as easily post quotes that says he's happy with this cut, and he enjoyed re-cutting it.

Whether the studio approaches the director or the director thinks of it himself, I'm open to any "Director's Cut" or "Special Edition" that's released or made available, simply because I like movies and I like film and I don't think it's a bad thing to watch different versions of movies. If the Special Edition isn't as good, then I'll say so. if the director's cut stumbles, I'll just make sure to not watch it again. But I'd rather have the choice, profit-inspired or not, to see what they did rather than completely shut out the idea altogether.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Abyss - prefer the director's cut but does go on too long now, I'm not really complaining I love the film.

Aliens - prefer the theatrical cut, and I always skip the colony chapter on the dvd, happy to see the original coming to dvd.

The Exorcist - I hate the directors cut, with all the overdone subliminal demon faces, the film didn't need that, makes it a crass gimicky teen horror flick, the ending was perfect the way it was, now it just fizzles out, only plus point is the redone stereo sound which was fantastic.

Apocalypse Now Redux- Nice to have this as a companion to the original, but I much prefer it the way it was, much chapter skipping ahoy next time I watch the dvd.

Blade Runner - I watched the original theatrical copy a zillion times, thats the one I'm used to. I don't like the directors cut, I hope we get both versions on dvd when the special edition eventually surfaces.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Star Trek The Motion Picture - Very sad that the original 1979 version will probably never be released on dvd, really pisses me off, now I have to make do with a redone 'directors cut' with redone effects and redone sound, chunks taken out, chunks put back in, this is fucking up film history, pathetic really.:angry:

George See

Second Unit
So they re-edit the flick to get me back in the theater. I don't HAVE to go. But I do. Why? Because it's still that movie, even if there's like, 5 minutes changed.
Being younger than some here only 28 I never got the chance to see movies like Apocalypse Now or Alien or The Exorcist on the big screen. So I went to see them not because they are "new and improved" but just for the chance to see them in the theater.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Neil: I think you're letting your hardcore "DONT EVER TOUCH THE FILM" stance color your view of Ridley's remarks--there's been a couple that actually run the spectrum, and then there's the one that you posted that doesn't really sound like "I've all but disowned this cut" at all, actually. I could just as easily post quotes that says he's happy with this cut, and he enjoyed re-cutting it.
The note that comes with the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set seems to suggest otherwise.

Neil

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
As with all things, it seems we must take the good with these director's cuts. Spiderwalk effects.. $100,000.00... ghostly subliminal images... $500,000.00.... hearing Father Merrin gently ask for Reagan's middle name.commenting how lovely it was.. before turning to face the horror that she had become.... PRICELESS.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anyone mentioned Dances with Wolves. The longer cut is superior in my opinion.

Count me in that minority as well. The extended cut of The Abyss really goes overboard with the whole "make love, not war" message. The theatrical cut was much more economical and ambiguous, which I liked.
I agree completely.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
"The note that comes with the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set seems to suggest otherwise."

Dude, like I said, I can show you quotes that said he was happy about re-inserting scenes and he was happy to get a shot at re-editing the thing for a different audience.

I don't even really get where that quote fits in with the discussion we're having in this thread anyway.

I know you have your opinion on the set, and that it's different from mine, but c'mon now.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I wish we could get a group of people who have no experience with the films in question and then split them up and show each a different version and compare reactions... a good old scientific test is what's needed here!

Oh, and ALMOST FAMOUS works better in the longer, UNTITLED version. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BLADE RUNNER was improved when the voiceover was dropped; however, that was partially offset by the addition of a lame scene that gave rise to an equally lame take on Deckard's origins. The unicorn thing helped to weaken the thematic focus of the film.

david stark

Second Unit
I wish we could get a group of people who have no experience with the films in question and then split them up and show each a different version and compare reactions... a good old scientific test is what's needed here!
definitely. I only saw Apocalypse Now once before the redux version was released. I've bought and watched redux several times and always enjoy it. I can't help but think I might be enjoying it because I don't really know the original. I think a lot of this hating of directors cuts is for sentimental reasons. Having said that I wish the studios would give us choice and allow us to buy the version we want (or both in one set).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One film that hasn't been mentioned is Cameron Crowe's Untitled (The director's cut of Almost Famous). This is the film that should have been released to theaters, and probably should have won the Best Picture oscar that year, IMO.
I don't much like "Untitled". I think it's too long and tedious - it spends too much time with unnecessary plot points that are already understood. It's still enjoyable, but the theatrical version is tighter and more coherent.

I can't stand Apocalypse Now Redux. The added material totally ruins the film's flow and pacing.

Star Trek: TMP indeed is better in its director's cut, but that's like saying a coma's better than a lobotomy.

Count me as one who prefers the theatrical Blade Runner, voice-over and all.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
The Abyss Heavy-handed or not, the ending of the theatrical release was straight outta left field. It wasn't "ambiguous" it was downright silly and clashed completely with the rest of the movie. Aliens With the motherhood subtext restored, we get a completely different—and in my opinion better—movie.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the newer version of The Exorcist isn't a director's cut. It's more of a producer/writer's cut.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Close Encounters is a great film, possibly Signor Spielbergo's masterpiece [sez I], and yet he's been tampering and fiddling around with it for 20 years to get it the way he wants it. How many versions have there been of this film 3, 4? Wasn't there also a near mythical 3-hour superduper version on LD with every deleted scene put back in? I suppose the dvd director's cut is the closest we'll get to the definitive Close Encounters, but I wouldn't mind a special edition dvd in the future which includes via seamless branching every scene shot for the film, I'll buy that.:)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there also a near mythical 3-hour superduper version on LD with every deleted scene put back in?
No. The Criterion CAV LD allowed you to program to watch either the 1977 or 1980 cuts, and you COULD make this work to add some of the 1980 scenes to the 1977 one. I don't think that added up to "every deleted scene", though, and it definitely wouldn't last three hours - two and a half, maybe...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Are you following me around or something Colin? ;) Well I thought it was on LD, there was a version shown on US network tv which included "all existing footage" according to Leonard Maltins review of the film. How long that version lasted I don't know, probably 4 hours... including ad breaks.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks