What's new

Is there a decent version of The Beverly Hillbillies on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Two different studios (Madacy and another I've never heard of) have put out several different DVD collections of Beverly Hillbillies episodes. I've heard bad things about some of the collections, such as sub-VHS video quality and the removal of the show's theme song. Is that on both studio's product, or is there (or is there going to be) a quality DVD collection for this guilty pleasure TV show?

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I recently picked up the 20 episode version of the Beverly Hillbillies put out by Brentwood and the video quality is fair at best. Also the opening music you probably are familiar with has been replaced. If you can put up with that the set is watchable and costs about $10 for a 2 DVD set. I like to see a restored version and season box sets with original introduction theme music released, but haven't heard any news of one upcoming anytime soon.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Platimum Entertainment has a 32 episode box set which I picked up for $9.99 at Walmart! Picture is OK, but they have a logo in the corner of the screen the entire time!

I'm sure we'll see an official release eventually.

Ross L

Auditioning
I too picked up the 32 episode version and am disappointed to say the least. The logo in the lower right hand corner is unneccessary and the removal of the original theme really erks me. If they had put a notice on the box of these two things I would not have bought it. I'm taking it back. It's a rip off. :frowning:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is the logo player-generated? I have "America's Dumbest Crooks" from Platinum disc and a player-generated logo comes up for a few seconds about 5 times, and it disappears if you tap the reverse-scan button but it still shows up when subtitles are set to off. If I ever get a "real" DVD from this company that has that it'll be the last I buy from them.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
this guilty pleasure TV show
I don't consider the Hillbillies a guilty pleasure at all. The writing is top-notch, with (usually) multiple storylines occurring from multiple perspectives. It is actually quite complex, if you pay attention.

Oh yeah; it's also funny as hell.

Jon

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Paramount owns this show, and they will be the only company that will ever be able to give us decent DVDs of this show. Do not buy the Madacy or Platinum ones; they are 100% illegal, as the show is still under copyright by CBS/Filmways.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do not buy the Madacy or Platinum ones; they are 100% illegal, as the show is still under copyright by CBS/Filmways.
So Best Buy and other retailers are knowingly selling bootlegs? Seems like someone would have stopped them by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks