What's new

Is there a conspiracy about Back to the Future? (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"To Be Continued..." or no "To Be Continued...", "Back To The Future" ends promising a sequel. Another contributing factor to the mass delusion may be the fact that while the title had yet to be added, a sequel was practically promised at the end of "Back To The Future".

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
when Back to the future part 3 was released in theatres.. a local theatre in sacramento played all 3 films back to back the night before release.. the to be continued was on the first film when I saw it. this was may of 1990.

JACOB

Gui A

Supporting Actor
By tacked on, I meant it didn't feel like it flowed properly... And I mean this when I watch the movie now. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember having the feeling that the movie was over, and the TBC was added as an afterthought to connect all three movies.

Though I wouldn't really trust my memory going that far back. Besides, it was an international print, so the changes could have been made by that point.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Michael St. Clair, are we on the same page here? The comment of mine you quoted was referring to the scene with Jules Brown and Verne Brown, the kids of Doc Brown, at the end of BTTF3. A post-1986 film.

I think you placed my comments with BTTF1. I have already stated that I personally don't know one way or the other about what was in theaters opening weekend about that. I can only report my online CompuServe discussions, faded by 17 years of other memories much more important to me than all that.

But I distinctly recall the post-film discussion on BTTF3 with my date, and we were laughing about how the kids were named after the author (Jules Verne). But I won't deny that memory is a funny thing, and that I'm getting rather senile lately.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Todd Stout wrote:

I saw BTTF on TV several weeks ago and noticed a shot of the black Toyota 4x4 early on in the film sitting on the back of a flatbed truck. I do not remember ever seeing that before. My first recollection of seeing that truck was when Marty opens the garage door at the end of the movie.
Yep, he sees it for the first time early in the movie. Thats why its so special when he opens the garage door and sees it there.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I dont know what was the first time ever a movie and its sequel were filmed at the same time
Superman I and II. Richard Donner was making both of them simultaneously; however, because of internal problems (as I understand it) the director's chair was given to someone else to finish Superman II, even though Donner had already taken care of a large portion of it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
"The leaf" is a part of JURASSIC PARK lore...and controversy as to who saw it in the movie, and who didn't.

- Steve

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I know my memory can be flakey at times but I'll never forget the end of BTTF at the movie theatre and seeing the car lift off the ground and speed off then the "To be continued in Back To The Future 2" in huge print across the screen.
I remember vividly the feeling of excitement and some dissappointment at the ending (plus side: another BTTF - minus side: the open ending let me down somewhat).

Andy_S

Second Unit
More specific on the Jurassic Park leaf post:
When the movie was in the theaters, there was a scene where Laura Dern is in the jeep and reaches up to grap a leaf from a plant. The next scene we see here looking at the leaf, but in the VHS, T.V. and DVD copies of the movie, this scene as been removed. Anyone know why?
I saw this movie multiple times in the theater, including opening night. And I had read the book a week before so I was paying special attention to what was in the movie vs. the book. There was no such scene in this movie.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, "Star Wars" was reissued theatrically in 1979, prior to the release of "The Empire Strikes Back", which would be released in 1980 as part 5. It was at that time that the "Part IV" bit was added to "Star Wars". This was considered noteworthy at the time, and there were articles in the press pointing out that this re-release was "different" if only in title, and that Lucas' plans for the series included a total of nine films.

Charlie

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
but I'll never forget the end of BTTF at the movie theatre and seeing the car lift off the ground and speed off then the "To be continued in Back To The Future 2" in huge print across the screen.
Except that the "To Be Continued" tag says nothing after "Continued", there is nothing about the next title. And it was only added to the video, not theatrical prints.

RogerB

Second Unit
I distinctly remember seeing the "To be continued..." shot at the end of BBTF in a theater in 1985. It was at the end of the credits, not right after the car flies away.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Memory is a funny thing!
Now we're distinctly remembering extra words in the ending card? Now the title was included? The title wasn't even included in the home video versions, let alone the theatrical versions.
This thread is a lot of fun- just goes to show you what our minds will fill in for us!
I distinctly remember in the theaters in 1977 (I was 1) that Greedo shot first! I remember because I spent the whole week talking to all my friends in my playpen about how it was such an interesting choice for the character, to make the space pirate bad guy act in self defense and seem more heroic in retrospect- and I even clearly remember because my little sister went to the film with me (although she wasn't born until 1980) saying that she felt this was done because the character would probably take on a more heroic tone in future sequels of the film...
And we also talked about how at the end credits it ended with a giant title card (of course they didn't call them title cards back then, Lucas couldn't get the rights from the Bicycle people to use the word "card" so they called them "Title 1138's" on the count that they were blue) and it said "A NEW HOPE: TK421 MUTHA-FUKA".
Yep, I remember it like it was yesterday.
-Vince

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Vince,
I'm sorry but you couldn't have seen those things because Star Wars was never released in theaters! It's always been a home video only product. Anyone who says they saw Star Wars in the theater is crazy.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks