What's new

Is there a certain actor/ actress's movies that you won't watch? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that guy from those movies. I hate From Here To Eternity and A Place in the Sun. He plays a whiney dumbass in both.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Red River, Dome. Check it out, fabulous rivalry between Clift and John Wayne. A different role from the usual Clift character, definitely not the same as in those later movies.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy Davies has an acting style that really bugs me. His speech patterns and the way he uses his hands just make me cringe for some reason. It worked in Solaris but in just about everything else, it really annoys me.

I get really pissed off at his character in Saving Private Ryan .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Davies is interesting, but I can't say he annoys me. I'm not sure how much range he has though. He was a good choice in Secretary for much the same reason as Solaris. I also thought he was a perfect choice to play Charles Manson recently, but I didn't see it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, you're supposed to get pissed off at his character in SPR. Why is it his fault he succeeded?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is that supposed to mean, really. People are never annoying little chicken shits? You're not supposed to dislike the guy when he cowers while listening to someone in his company is being killed?

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
It is okay to be skeptical of some actors based on their previous films' quality - but to absolutely refuse to see a movie based on one actor is foolish. Just about every actor mentioned has been in a good movie. Sandler had Punch Drunk Love, Lopez had Out of Sight, Cruise had Color of Money, Billy Bob Thornton was in Sling Blade and The Man Who Wasn't There, Affleck has Chasing Amy...etc. Just like anything else in life, analyze the item at hand and then decide.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Every time I write off an actor, they do something that I really like. I hated Richard Gere, and then he did Chicago, which I think he is great in. I was starting to hate Sandler and then I saw Punch Drunk Love. I normally Hate J-Lo and although it isnt the best movie ever, I kinda like Enough. I also tend to catch myself hating actors because of outside influences like politcs as well. Its just not worth it. I wouldnt treat a coworker or friend of mine with such little respect just because of their point of view. Also, due to my age, there are a few actors I hated that I think it was just because they were Teen Idols and it was annoying. Many of them have turned out quite well. Brad Pitt (many movies, but check out Meet Joe Black), DiCaprio (Gangs of New York) and several others that I cant think of right off the bat.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'd never not see a movie that looks interesting because of an actor or actresst I haven't liked yet, because they can always surprise you.

But there are certain actors that I am very cautious about paying money to see their films. I didn't see The Matrix until it hit home video because I just can't take Keanu Reeeves seriously.

Ben Affleck is another tough sell for me lately, which is a shame since I liked him a lot in Chasing Amy. And while we're on Affleck, I've never felt any need to see a J-Lo starring flick, but that's mostly because she has a habit of picking movies that don't interest me in the least. She was also better when she wasn't such a star.

Never been a big fan of Adam Sandler either. Punch Drunk Love was definitely better than his standard fare, but I'm not a big fan of PT Anderson so that kept me from liking the film a lot. Anger Management was Ok but I like Nicholson so that helped.

I find that I don't like Kate Hudson for some reason. She just looks so spoiled to me. Never been a big Goldie Hawn fan either, so maybe that's it.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
I generally would never rule a movie out just because of an actor or actress. However, my wife and I both can't stand to watch Brendon Frazer. There's just something about him.

We were in NYC about two years ago and had the opportunity to go sit front row at Saturday Night Live, very exciting until they announced who the host would be... what are the freakin' odds...

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Not me!

I think it's a little stupid to refuse to watch a movie in this criteria!

And, sometimes, and actor I hate can became really good in another movie. I don't understand the boycott of directors (Michael Bay by exemple, my god, he's not terrible, he's very entertainning actually - check Bad Boys 2, a lot of dark humor in this one!).

Now, I watch more movies, many german, french and independant movies. I opened my horizons, and I also like the popular popcorn flick! If the movie is well made and is interresting, it's a good movie in my book. The directors or the actors are not the only important thing in a movie!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The only Will Smith movie I love is
Six Degress of Separation, and he
is very good in it, even if he was pussy
for not sharing an on screen kiss with his
male co-star as the script dictated.

(Smith's character was gay, but apparently,
Will missed that detail when he read the script.)

Still, I like The Smiths as a Hollywood couple,
I just wish Will would loose the faux machismo and make
another good film.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Boy, when I read some of the reasonable comments above, such as "I never let an actor/actress keep me away from a potentially quality movie" [paraphrase] I begin to wonder what is WRONG with me. On the other hand, the following list is not in any kind of order; these "performers" just grate like nails on my blackboard, and I am at a total loss to explain WHY.

Gwyneth Paltrow
John Travolta
Julia Roberts
Tom Cruise
Jim Carrey
Jennifer Lopez
Meg Ryan
George Clooney
Adam Sandler
Richard Gere
Drew Barrymore
Jean Claude Van Damme
Steven Seagal
Pauley Shore
Adam Sandler
Mickey Rourke
Kim Basinger
Sean Penn
Barbra Streisand
Madonna
Michael Douglas
Demi Moore
Rob Lowe
Leonardo di Caprio
Jennifer Love Hewitt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks