What's new

Is there a BD you wish you had not purchased? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I bought the first release of 5th element but never had a chance to evaluate the pq, it would not play on any of the 3 BD players I tried it on--the second release is gorgeous.

I do regret buying the import of Starship Troopers as it lacks the commentary and other special features of the domestic release.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

RE: 28 Days Later, yeah, I'm aware of that. Just didn't think it was necessary to explain all that to the OP under the circumstance since the BD is what it is regardless -- and maybe most fans of the flick would realize this anyhow. :D

RE: Total Recall (Lionsgate version), yeah, that along w/ some others could definitely be better and may not be worth your while if you already have the DVD. For myself, I bought it at bargain price anyway since I never bought the DVD. Still, I think it has better PQ than XXX though. XXX is definitely no better than SD quality as far as I can tell. I never saw the original Fifth Element release, but it's probably similar to that, if not worse.

_Man_

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The OP had all of this explained to him when he asked, in another thread, why there hadn't been howls of protest over the BD of 28 Days Later.

I happen to think the BD looks quite good. Then again, I like the film as it is, having experienced it in a theater, where it packed a wallop comparable to the early Romero work, when zombie films were still frightening.

M.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm actually a bit undecided on the look of the BD -- I was mostly just agreeing that it's merely SD quality video and that the DVD might well be good enough for this one. I certainly don't think it's "unwatchable" per se.

And yeah, the particular look does seem to suit the film even though it doesn't make particularly good use of the BD resolution. I haven't seen the DVD itself, but I wonder if that version retains 99% of the same look and quality that's on the BD (outside of the ending that was apparently shot on film). Besides the matter of luminance resolution, I suppose it might still benefit from better color resolution as well as better compression quality on BD...

_Man_

Cowbell

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Hey, thanks all for the heads up on these titles. As I was looking forward to picking up a few of them. Now not so much.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Please stop speaking for "everyone". When you made the same comments in Robert Harris' "A few words about" thread, a lot of people disagreed with you (including me). But you never bothered to check back.

I saw the film when it was first out. I've seen it about once every ten years since then. Every time it feels like a new film, and a great one. I'm sorry it's not to your taste, but it's your taste.

M.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
1) Broken Arrow - Poor picture quality, and a very dated looking film anyway.
2) Joe Kane's DVE HD Basics - Very little difference from the SD version.

John

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone bought the Kit Kittredge BD? Don't be shy to admit it in a forum full of "guys". ;) :D

Just saw this review on High-Def Digest, and it sounds like I should probably just save the $ and get the DVD instead: :P

Blu-ray Review: Kit Kittredge: An American Girl | High-Def Digest

Hmmm... Another New Line title. They just haven't been doing too well w/ HiDef offerings so far -- hope this is one of the very last in that poor "pipeline" before Warner's revamp.

_Man_

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hands-down, no question, no hesitation...

"27 Dresses"

Wow...is that a bad movie. My wife got it after hearing good reviews from friends and she hated it as much as I did.

I will trade that one off for a kick to the nuts and come out better off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Got that one as a freebie for buying the PS3 back in December -- and still haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Guess I shoulda picked something else though it was slim pickings.

And probably serves me right for resurrecting a somewhat related thread to ask about the new Kit Kittredge BD instead of starting a new thread. :P

So anyone seen it yet (besides the HD Digest reviewer)? :D

_Man_

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Those L.A. meets really cut into one's review work, don't they?

Moderating is easier to fit in. I could always find a few minutes at the end of one of those long days listening to you and Mavis give Rich directions to log onto HTF and delete a few spam posts. :D

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I took my daughter to see it over the summer and we all loved it. Not only is it a good kid movie, but it is just a good movie. Actually, the subject matter and time period make it more adolescent to young adult oriented than kid friendly, but my 5 year old thought it was the greatest.

Glad to hear that the blu-ray isn't quite up to snuff before buying it. My daughter wants the Target exclusive anyway which is only in Standard DVD, so I guess I'll be picking that up this weekend.

willh51

Agent
Real Name
Will
Bram Stoker's Dracula, looks like shit, way too dark.

The Ruins, not a bad movie but I only really bought it because I was bored over the summer and Netflix had it on a very long wait. Can't see too much replay from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks