What's new

Is there a 5.1 analog jack to HDMI PCM adaptor? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Getting ready to buy a new receiver and I'm REALLY annoyed that new models are eliminating the 5.1 analog input jacks. I have a DVD-Audio/SACD player, as well as a 4-channel 8-track tape player, which I'd like to be able to use, and possibly some new format may come along later that requires these jacks. I'm thinking it might be possible for someone to make a box where you can plug in your analog jacks and then connect that to an HDMI input- is such a thing possible? I heard there was something that could do this with a DTS signal, but haven't seen where to get one.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'd say you're looking at the wrong A/V receivers. Most A/V receivers coming on the market have 6 channel analog inputs and many have 8.

FWIW, I seriously doubt there will be any new formats that require multi-channel analog inputs.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
?? What models are you looking at? There are still tons of models from Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha etc. that have a multi-ch input. Maybe some of the very cheapest models don't have it, but its a very common feature. The feature that's disappearing is S-video.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On Onkyo's line the 607 and lower don't have them and I'm betting they will slowly begin to disappear over time. But you can certainly find them on most new avr's today.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen

I'm thinking it might be possible for someone to make a box where you can plug in your analog jacks and then connect that to an HDMI input- is such a thing possible? I heard there was something that could do this with a DTS signal, but haven't seen where to get one.
In order for this to be possible, the analog would have to be converted to digital, which would require a processor. HDMI has no ability to transfer analog audio, so you wouldn't be able to simply convert the inputs to HDMI without first digitizing the analog audio.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'll bet future players that do both SACD and Blu-ray will output the DSD over the HDMI and let the receiver decode it, doing away with the requirement for analog inputs. Anybody buy the new Oppo? I think it does that.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have the new OPPO and I'm sure it sends DSD over HDMI but, alas, my receiver isn't equipped with HDMI so it's 7.1 (well, 5.1 actually) analog for me.

I'm thinking one day virtually all devices will send all audio and video over hdmi there-by eliminating the need for these older inputs. It will probably take a while but 7.1 analog will be the second to go, after s-video. But I've been wrong about [COLOR= #ff00ff]everything [/COLOR]else so don't listen to me!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Nice that they've got SACD players that work with HDMI (even if they aren't releasing any new DISCS for them!) but that still doesn't help my 8-track player. I know that format's deader than SACD but I've got a bunch of quadraphonic tapes that will probably never be reissued in any format.

I'm annoyed about the phasing out of S-Video inputs too, but I still haven't figured out if that makes any difference when converting to HDMI.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks- I'll have to keep that in mind if I end up getting a receiver without 5.1 inputs. Since they can do that I don't know why they couldn't make one that does PCM thru HDMI, but I haven't played with this stuff enough yet to know how it works. I've been wanting to upgrade my stuff for a couple years now but different things have gotten in the way.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Broke down and ordered one since they're just $25 right now- that'll give me some insurance in case analog jacks ever disappear completely from receivers. Just have to find my Y-cables now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks