What's new

Is the Ultimate DVD Platinum any good? (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I know this has been out in R1 for ages now but its just been released in Australia and its the only disc of its sort available here. So, i would like to know if its worth money? The sound of it is good, but does it actually work.
I'm keen to see all the demos on it, music,visual,dts demos etc. But would like to know how the calibration tools are.

I know discs like Avia are meant to much more indepth but it would cost a fortune to import. Any info would be great..cheers!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have it, it as lots of stuff on 5.1, dts, high resolution stereo, video and audio set up features I think it's worth having.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I'm just the opposite...I bought it and while there's a few cool things on there, I just don't think it's enough to justify the amount I paid for it. If you can get it REALLY cheap...I'd be inclined to say "Go For It", but only if it's really cheap.

derek

Second Unit
I have Avia, Video Essentials and DVD Platinum and actually for a quick setup (audio mostly) I use DVD Platinum (probably becuase I obtained it first.) Its fairly easy to use (menus are sometimes a bugger to negotiate) and has some fun demo stuff to test things out. Plus only disc of the above that has DTS test tones/demo stuff.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Sweet, thanks guys. It is cheap over here, its at $29.95 australian. So for 2 discs of calibration and demos i guess i'll give it a look.

Leroy

Second Unit
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the Ultimate DVD Platinum to both Avia and Video Essentials. To me, it's easier to navigate and use. Plenty of calibration grids/tests and DTS/DD/Pro-Logic demos, multi Angle, Parental Lock, Aspect Ratio demos etc..the kinds of stuff you can actually use to showcase what dvd/hometheater can do.

The other reason, I picked it up for only $20 at Fry's, try getting VE or Avia for that price. Avoid the Silver or Gold editions as they do not pack as much into those.

Richard_M

Second Unit
It's been available in Oz for quite a while now as I bought mine about 18months ago from HMV, both HMV & Dick Smith Powerhouse usually stock them. You can also get Video Essentials here as well. I think JB HiFi may now also stock them.

I use it all the time for setting up systems as it does both DD & DTS and also has LFE setup for all audio types.

The Video set ups are not much use here as they are NTSC

But well worth getting, and better than having nothing at all :)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Thanks Richard, i've never come across a disc here yet! I just noticed it popped up at Ezydvd. So is there much difference between Ultimate and Video essentials?

Also, is there any online sites you know of that would have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks