1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the UK version of "The Rocketeer" anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andre Bijelic, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought the British release of "The Rocketeer"? Is it 16:9? And is the quality decent?

Amazon UK only lists it as widescreen.

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought the British release of "The Rocketeer"? Is it 16:9? And is the quality decent?

Amazon UK only lists it as widescreen.

3. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Well-Known Member

4. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Well-Known Member

5. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the British R2 release but you might also want to check out the Australian PAL R4 release, which I have and which is anamorphic. Still not great quality, but far better than the horrible U.S. non-anamorphic release.

All three releases are compared here www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=305
    And the R2 and R4 releases are rated as a draw.

6. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the British R2 release but you might also want to check out the Australian PAL R4 release, which I have and which is anamorphic. Still not great quality, but far better than the horrible U.S. non-anamorphic release.

All three releases are compared here www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=305
    And the R2 and R4 releases are rated as a draw.

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Well-Known Member

R2 and R4 PAL DVDs are almost always the same DVD, just re-badged with a different cover and disc art. Go for whichever is cheaper (usually the R4 unless the R2 is on sale).

8. David.J

David.J New Member

i have the UK R2 version of the Rocketeer, that is available cheap on amazon uk right now. It is anamorphic. But it is also 4 minutes shorter. The disc itself says 104 minutes as opposed to the US 108 min. checking the time on both of the discs verifies the 4 minute difference.

The picture is decent, lots of color, maybe too much even. The only drawback is that it is rather soft. Similar to the US version. The anamorphic ratio though makes it nicer :)

So does anyone know what could be missing? could it be time compressed for any reason? I did a spot check about half way and it is only 2 minutes off at that point, so its not just one scene missing. Its either multiple bits cut or time compression for some wierd reason.

I dont see any other reviews complaining about this, nor do I see anything about alternate cuts. Anyone have any ideas?

David

9. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

Quote:

Is it possible that it's due to the PAL speed-up difference? As a TV/DVD collector, it's a 4% speed difference between PAL and NTSC versions, if I recall.

Thanks for the info on this one (anamorphic). I will be picking this one up at AMA UK.

I just can't understand why we see some of these releases in anamorphic format with the R2/R4 versions when we don't see them released in R1 as WS enhanced versions.

10. Worth

Worth Well-Known Member

Nick Dobbs
    There's nothing missing on the R2/R4 versions - it's just PAL speed up. Four percent of 108 is 4, which accounts for the time difference.