What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JoeDoakes said:
I think it's way to early for pessimism regarding b&w shows. It will be hard for any year to top 2013, but there is still a lot that could come out.
Well, I've been called a pessimist before and I'm sure I'll be called that again, but I think I'm just being a realist. :)

Gary "unless some of the minor studios really get serious about 50's material, the only direction is down in terms of b&w releases - it just is what it is" O.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I've bought more b&w box sets in the past month than I ever have. (Perry Mason, Naked City, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Buccaneers, Whispering Smith, etc.) Granted, some were used sets, one even out-of-print (and costing only $10 for 39 eps.!). Now I just need the time to watch them.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Maybe Gary has more concrete information on this, but it looks as if the Timeless release GOING MY WAY may be going our way alright, directly to being OOP. Amazon has only seven copies left and no more coming in. It's one of the pricier Timeless sets which is why I've never gotten it. Looks like I may miss out now. :-(

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've only watched two episodes of "Going My Way" in the set and while the premise is commendable, the execution I've found somewhat unengaging. Their Christmas episode though is notable for having Cloris Leachman and Bill Mumy once again play mother and son a year after the memorable Twilight Zone episode.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
If I can think of an indie company that could step up to bat in place of Timeless, the one company that could emerge as a player in the 50s-60s classic TV game, The Nostalgia Merchant just might be the one company that could work out a contract with NBC Universal for any show where there are 16mm working prints for remastering. Buckskin, a one-season western, the complete 2-season run of Shotgun Slade, and two obscure sitcoms from Joe Connelly and Bob Mosher, Bringing Up Buddy and Ichabod & Me would be ideal choices. Why, I bought an 11-episode best-of City Detective from them.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
If TGG Direct does exit the DVD business at least it was great while it lasted. If there ends up being nothing else, at least we got Sea Hunt, Highway Patrol and Bat Masterson finished up. I already have Home Run Derby, so I really won't be in the market for that. It seems like an odd choice for a release - but what do I know?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Randy Korstick said:
If you are a "the cups half full" type of person there is still some hope. They said they only currently have rights to Home Run Derby and thats all thats planned for the near future. They didn't say they wouldn't license anymore titles. But that being the case it will be awhile if they do bring out anymore titles.
That's true; there's always hope for further acquisitions in the future. Still, between this news and Timeless seemingly becoming less of an option, it looks like we're in for a lull this year in terms of older, more obscure shows getting released. Still, between Timeless and TGG, I've already been introduced to several new-to-me shows in the last year or so, and I'm still working my way through them. So I agree with ChrisALM's sentiment that even if we don't see anything else from the current companies, we've been fortunate to see some great stuff that many of us probably didn't expect would ever get an official (non-boot) release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Dave Lawrence said:
That's true; there's always hope for further acquisitions in the future. Still, between this news and Timeless seemingly becoming less of an option, it looks like we're in for a lull this year in terms of older, more obscure shows getting released. Still, between Timeless and TGG, I've already been introduced to several new-to-me shows in the last year or so, and I'm still working my way through them. So I agree with ChrisALM's sentiment that even if we don't see anything else from the current companies, we've been fortunate to see some great stuff that many of us probably didn't expect would ever get an official (non-boot) release.
Agreed. While it naturally saddens me to see the b&w market begin to wane, I too have a ton of stuff on the shelves and I'm thankful for every bit of it. If the run is over (to use a sports cliche), so be it. I've enjoyed the ride.

Gary "going 'off the grid' for a few days - take care, everyone" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm in the fortunate position where if nothing else came out I'd be content with what I have B/W save for the fact that I need the rest of "Burke's Law" and I wish someone would convince the Nassour heirs to release all episodes of "Sheena". Not that I wouldn't potentially sample a few other things but Burke is the only lingering irritant of unreleased/stalled B/W.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jack P said:
I'm in the fortunate position where if nothing else came out I'd be content with what I have B/W save for the fact that I need the rest of "Burke's Law" and I wish someone would convince the Nassour heirs to release all episodes of "Sheena". Not that I wouldn't potentially sample a few other things but Burke is the only lingering irritant of unreleased/stalled B/W.
Agreed that Burke's Law needs to be released. I caught the run several years back on the RTV network and this is a very fun show. It's not got a ton of episodes and would seem to be a natural for someone to put out. The prints also looked good.

The company that put out Ellery Queen did such a great job on that I was hoping they would get a crack at Burke and other similar shows but that never happened.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
So I've been checking out the TV on DVD section in my local FYE. Lots of purchases to consider, but most over-priced. On one trip, I bought a used Perry Mason Season One Vol. One box set for $15 and on another I bought a complete set of Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot over-priced at $39.99. (I had ordered it from Amazon over two years ago and they kept delaying it and delaying it and finally canceled my order without asking me if that's what I wanted--and it became available not long after that. So I decided to pay the extra $$ and reward my local FYE for carrying a niche product rather than get it cheaper from Amazon and reward them for jerking me around.)

So I'm considering all the other stuff they have there: overpriced box sets of different seasons of Combat, Rawhide and Perry Mason, and a few other goodies including The Fugitive, of which there's a Volume 1 set, used, for $7.97 and a complete box set of The Rat Patrol for $19.99. These are the ones I'm considering. So I do some research. I watch the very first episode of "The Rat Patrol" on YouTube, the first time I've seen an episode, and liked it enough to want to see more--on DVD. I still haven't seen an episode of "The Fugitive," but everything I read about that set on Amazon compels me to buy it. So I go back to FYE last night and what do I find? They're both gone! Some like-minded soul beat me to it, the bastard! Was it one of YOU guys?! :angry:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I like Rat Patrol. Its not a masterpiece but its interesting and fun. The episodes move at a fast pace since they are 30 minutes episodes. Plus there are not many WWII shows to chose from and this is the only one on the North Africa campaign.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I liked The Rat Patrol as well, but it has only a nodding acquaintance with reality, as North Africa was British turf. I remember the fuss it caused when it was shown in the UK.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, am a fan of Rat Patrol. I watched it as a kid and loved it. I purchased the DVDs when they first became available and found it was almost as fun as when I was a kid. There *are* times when you wonder just how they get past gunfire/cannons/mortars/etc. with only a couple of Jeeps. There are several episodes that are in the Mission Impossible vein. IMHO it doesn't hold up well to "binge viewing" as there tends to be quite a bit of similarity in the episodes but a couple at a time are great.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The early seasons of Perry Mason have been very reasonably priced at Amazon over the past few months. I filled in all the holes in my collection of the early seasons. The later seasons haven't been reduced yet (well, Season 9, Volume 1 was a week or two ago, and I bought it).

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I was in Barnes & Noble looking over their TV on DVD section and I resolved to look up a number of titles on Amazon to compare prices, but also to see how many episodes were in each set--and which episodes. I'm particularly interested in getting Season 3 of "Have Gun Will Travel" because Chinese actress Lisa Lu was a cast semi-regular during that season. So I see that HGWT Season 3 has been split into two box sets. Now I've done my research on IMDB and determined which episodes she was in and which box set is most likely to have more of those episodes. Yet the Amazon listings do not say how many episodes are in each set or which episodes. And none of the "reviewers" has seen fit to share that info with the reader. Nor was it listed on the box cases.

Why do they want to keep such key info a secret? I don't get it. It's very frustrating and prevents me from making more of these purchases.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think you are referring to Season 4, not Season 3. Season 3 was not split into two sets, as it was released in the older era, along with the first two seasons. Also, Ms. Lu appeared in fourth season. The two sets are split almost evenly, with 20 episodes in one and 19 in the other. If you need to know which is which, I can check for you.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
FanCollector said:
I think you are referring to Season 4, not Season 3. Season 3 was not split into two sets, as it was released in the older era, along with the first two seasons. Also, Ms. Lu appeared in fourth season. The two sets are split almost evenly, with 20 episodes in one and 19 in the other. If you need to know which is which, I can check for you.
I meant Season 4, sorry. So, Season 4, Vol. 1 has eps. 1-20?

Thanks.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Vic Pardo said:
I was in Barnes & Noble looking over their TV on DVD section and I resolved to look up a number of titles on Amazon to compare prices, but also to see how many episodes were in each set--and which episodes. I'm particularly interested in getting Season 3 of "Have Gun Will Travel" because Chinese actress Lisa Lu was a cast semi-regular during that season. So I see that HGWT Season 3 has been split into two box sets. Now I've done my research on IMDB and determined which episodes she was in and which box set is most likely to have more of those episodes. Yet the Amazon listings do not say how many episodes are in each set or which episodes. And none of the "reviewers" has seen fit to share that info with the reader. Nor was it listed on the box cases.

Why do they want to keep such key info a secret? I don't get it. It's very frustrating and prevents me from making more of these purchases.
One of the good things about the Barnes & Noble website is that, for most DVDs, it will have a listing of the contents on each disk of a DVD set. So, for HGWT, season 4, vol. 1, if you go here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-have-gun-will-travel-the-fourth-season-vol-1/18930770?ean=97368947641 and scroll down to Menu you will see a list of each episode included and on what disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks