What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ron1973 said:
I guess they never thought of the day that we would have hi-def TV's and DVD/BD formats. I was watching a S9 episode of The Beverly Hillbillies (on VHS nonetheless) a while back. The Clampetts and Phil Silvers were supposed to be in Washington, D.C. but whenever they "stood" in front of a famous landmark (White House for instance) you could tell they were standing against a backdrop of it, not the real thing. I'm sure back in "the day" on a little snowy 19" TV (that may have still been B&W even) it wasn't noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I still want that particular show scanned from the 35mm film and on DVD but I just wonder how much worse it will look.
There's no doubt that an unintended consequence of high def is magnifying these types of situations. That's the double-edged sword in full effect: an on-location scene set in some beautiful country looks all the more beautiful, while an on set studio soundstage setting looks all the more cheesy. It is what it is.

Gary "HD definitely adds to genuine out door settings - no doubt about it" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Ron1973 said:
I guess they never thought of the day that we would have hi-def TV's and DVD/BD formats. I was watching a S9 episode of The Beverly Hillbillies (on VHS nonetheless) a while back. The Clampetts and Phil Silvers were supposed to be in Washington, D.C. but whenever they "stood" in front of a famous landmark (White House for instance) you could tell they were standing against a backdrop of it, not the real thing. I'm sure back in "the day" on a little snowy 19" TV (that may have still been B&W even) it wasn't noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I still want that particular show scanned from the 35mm film and on DVD but I just wonder how much worse it will look.
It's not as if things like rear projection and indoor sets posing as outdoor locations weren't noticeable on snowy 19" TVs, but due to the small screen and the general nature of television, they were accepted as normal for stories that were known to be produced in a week's time. If you wanted more realistic location work and larger budgeted entertainment, you went to the movies.

In addition, it's not that they never thought we would have hi-def TVs as much as they never thought their work would still be shown so many years into the future.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Rob_Ray said:
It's not as if things like rear projection and indoor sets posing as outdoor locations weren't noticeable on snowy 19" TVs, but due to the small screen and the general nature of television, they were accepted as normal for stories that were known to be produced in a week's time. If you wanted more realistic location work and larger budgeted entertainment, you went to the movies.

In addition, it's not that they never thought we would have hi-def TVs as much as they never thought their work would still be shown so many years into the future.
For the record, I'm personally not talking about wanting "larger budgeted entertainment" in the least. In fact the thing is that often the larger studios would be the ones that would build gigantic, exotic soundstages instead of simply taking the cameras out in the field. As one example (and I've mentioned it before), I greatly preferred the Universal Abbott & Costello pictures to their more high-budgeted MGM films, where they had these very complex sets. Those big studio soundstages always came off as phony to me even though they were filmed at the larger and more prestigious MGM studios. I just prefer outdoor scenes to be shot outdoors, not inside on an elaborate soundstage. But again, that's just me.

Gary "just my two cents" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I agree. Monogram westerns shot out at the ranch look more realistic than MGM's "Mrs. Miniver". But back in the day, TV productions did a lot of soundstage work because it was quicker and everyone accepted it because they were cranking these things out at the rate of one show a week. I prefer westerns shot out at the ranch too. I was referring more to the Beverly Hillibillies going to Washington via rear projection. There's no way they'd shoot in Washington unless it was a season opener, like Bewitched's trip to Salem or the Hillbillies trip to England. Audiences weren't fooled, but they didn't really care either. That's the world of television. Especially the stuff done at Filmways.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
To me, soundstages are not a make or break issue because while I do appreciate good location work, I'm more interested in the actors etc. who appeared on a show. I've passed on a couple titles when I went through the guest cast list and found no names of interest to me. OTOH, if I'm going to see some familiar faces from this era that will help enhance the stories overall.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Gary OS said:
Yesterday I happened to tune into TCM for lunchtime and caught the last 20 minutes of a 40's western called "Bad Bascomb." Just a very average film with some nice actors from that time period (Wallace Berry, Marjorie Main, Frances Rafferty, etc). But the thing that caught my eye was all the on-location filming in what looked to be somewhere in Wyoming, Utah, Montana or one of those Big Sky western states. It was just gorgeous and blew me away visually. Oh if only Warners had filmed their 50's westerns and detective series on location instead of succumbing to the sound-stage mentality. I can live with some back lot shooting, but not sound stages and projection screens. I just can't get past all the fake scenery. Wish I wasn't wired that way, but I am. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy for every fan of each of those series. I really, really am. But I just can't get worked up knowing I'll be seeing so many fake backdrops, especially in westerns, where beautiful outdoor scenery should be. What makes this doubly tough is knowing that WBA is probably going to be the main source of b/w TV on DVD in 2014. Unless Timeless, CBS, and/or TGG really surprises, it's probably going to be slim pickings for me this year.

Gary "I will enjoy The Dakotas when it's released by the WBA, but that looks to be a while yet" O.
There were a lot of series back then that were indeed filmed on location and not in the backlots or soundstages. So many of the early westerns from "Lone Ranger" and "Cisco Kid" on were shot on location. Even "Dragnet" used a lot of location work. Whenever they're in police HQ, they shot that in a real building and not a set. I just discovered a couple of series on YouTube that I'd never heard of before that offered lots of location shooting: "This Man Dawson" (1959) shot on location in most of its scenes (probably L.A.) and "Everglades!" (1962) which looks like it was shot in the Everglades, although I can't confirm it. I think shows that were not produced by major studios, but by companies that didn't have standing sets or soundstages tended to rely on outdoor locations or any of the ready-made ranches available in Southern California for shooting westerns.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
To me, soundstages are not a make or break issue because while I do appreciate good location work, I'm more interested in the actors etc. who appeared on a show. I've passed on a couple titles when I went through the guest cast list and found no names of interest to me. OTOH, if I'm going to see some familiar faces from this era that will help enhance the stories overall.
I'm sure that the way you approach this is the majority view. And conversely, my tastes are definitely going to be in the minority. While I certainly have favorite actors and actresses, and do take note of them in different films and TV shows, who stars in something is almost never the main attraction for me. I tend to focus more on the story, not who's acting it out. And because of that, on location shooting means so much more to me than it probably does to many people. I seem to always focus on the surroundings and love scenery as much as the acting itself. Especially if it's something that is supposed to be taking place outdoors and in a large expanse like a range. I think this is a big part of why shows like Rawhide and HGWT mean more to me than the WB westerns. And it's why I have a special fondness for series like Ron Ely's Tarzan and In the Heat of the Night. I just love the "reality" of the surroundings. But again, I know I'm in the minority and that most people here have a greater appreciation for the actors than the storyline. I'm just weird, I guess. :D

Vic Pardo said:
There were a lot of series back then that were indeed filmed on location and not in the backlots or soundstages. So many of the early westerns from "Lone Ranger" and "Cisco Kid" on were shot on location. Even "Dragnet" used a lot of location work. Whenever they're in police HQ, they shot that in a real building and not a set. I just discovered a couple of series on YouTube that I'd never heard of before that offered lots of location shooting: "This Man Dawson" (1959) shot on location in most of its scenes (probably L.A.) and "Everglades!" (1962) which looks like it was shot in the Everglades, although I can't confirm it. I think shows that were not produced by major studios, but by companies that didn't have standing sets or soundstages tended to rely on outdoor locations or any of the ready-made ranches available in Southern California for shooting westerns.
Yep! That's been my observation as well. I'd love to see Everglades get a release for this very reason! It's why I love little shows like Highway Patrol, as one example. Seeing all that Americana is fantastic, imho. Give me that over a claustrophobic soundstage any day of the week.

Gary "no offense to fans that prefer the more exotic, high-end sets that the bigger studios often offered" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Don't get me wrong, I certainly am glad we had shows like "Naked City" and "Route 66" to document views of America that have vanished but it also helped that they had the familiar names as guest stars to texture the stories they told. An example of where I passed was that Peter Graves western shot in Australia I think it was, where none of the people but for him would have been someone I knew and consequently I had no reason to think the stories would entertain me if they couldn't be played out by people who give me a comfort zone.

But good stories I think can easily come from a studio set with Spartan features because this can require the viewer to think more about the dialogue and see if the storytelling shines within those limitations. "Maverick" for instance succeeds because when it was great, it was because of the solid writing and acting and didn't need to be on location to succeed.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
Don't get me wrong, I certainly am glad we had shows like "Naked City" and "Route 66" to document views of America that have vanished but it also helped that they had the familiar names as guest stars to texture the stories they told. An example of where I passed was that Peter Graves western shot in Australia I think it was, where none of the people but for him would have been someone I knew and consequently I had no reason to think the stories would entertain me if they couldn't be played out by people who give me a comfort zone.

But good stories I think can easily come from a studio set with Spartan features because this can require the viewer to think more about the dialogue and see if the storytelling shines within those limitations. "Maverick" for instance succeeds because when it was great, it was because of the solid writing and acting and didn't need to be on location to succeed.
I hear ya, as they say. And there's no doubt that favorite actors can add to the enjoyment of shows. But I'm just not as big into that element as the average viewer. Give me an unknown with a great location and I'm satisfied. But give me a favorite (like Abbott & Costello, for instance) on a stuffy soundstage and it can suck the life out of me. Especially if the scene is supposed to be taking place outdoors.

Gary "like I said, I know I'm in the minority on this one - it just is what it is" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just by way of clarification, I'm not saying the acting can't and doesn't make or break scenes, episodes, and series. It can and does all the time. But I'm probably not as focused on particular actors or actresses as much as the average viewer. I acknowledge the importance of it, but I just have a hard time looking at background scenery and surroundings that are so obviously fake. It just takes away from the overall experience for me. As I mentioned above I wish I wasn't wired that way, but I am. In fact I find that as I grow older, and am exposed to more and more high def, it gets harder and harder for me to enjoy set bound scenes, particularly in westerns and action/adventure series.

Gary "can't imagine shows like The Fugitive being as soundstage bound as many of the WB series - it just wouldn't be the same for me" O.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
The Rifleman would be an example of a mostly soundstage-bound series, the McCain ranch, and the town of North Fork come to mind, although you'll see the outdoors version of the ranch, and certain outdoor scenes were shot as well.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
First things first. I absolutely love The Rifleman and am so glad I've got the show in my library. It's just a fabulous western (certainly in my All-Time Top 5 of that genre).

Having said that, just last night I was at my Mom's house and as we were watching TV I flipped the station to the local ME-TV network and The Rifleman was on so her, my step-father, and I started watching. A scene came up where Lucas and Mark walked out of the house and spoke inbetween the porch and the barn. The backdrop was unfortunately so fake looking that both my parents said, "hey, what's up with the hills and trees in the background?" and just started chuckling for a moment. And they like the show, so it wasn't about making fun of something they had no interest in. We watched the episode to it's completion and liked it just fine. But those backdrops were painfully bad and everyone noticed. I just wonder how much better it would have been if the McCain ranch had always been filmed outdoors and not resorted to the soundstage, as they did in last night's episode. I think it would have only elevated the series. It certainly wouldn't have taken anything away from it.

Gary "still love the show, but it was weird how that came up last night at my parents' home after the discussion here yesterday" O.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Yes , I would agree with that point Gary. The painted backdrops on Rifleman ,Gunsmoke' etc are sometimes painfully obvious.

I think the Warner shows were worse though, they tend to look like real small budget productions today.In particular the sudden jarring insert of stock footage, often poorly matched. I've also noticed how every few episodes or so they throw in a 'desperate hours' story, with all the cast trapped in a cabin or cave or such so they can shoot the whole thing on one set.

If you watch any of the later westerns such as 'Laredo' they were far more expansive & much the better for it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Silverking said:
Yes , I would agree with that point Gary. The painted backdrops on Rifleman ,Gunsmoke' etc are sometimes painfully obvious.

I think the Warner shows were worse though, they tend to look like real small budget productions today.In particular the sudden jarring insert of stock footage, often poorly matched. I've also noticed how every few episodes or so they throw in a 'desperate hours' story, with all the cast trapped in a cabin or cave or such so they can shoot the whole thing on one set.

If you watch any of the later westerns such as 'Laredo' they were far more expansive & much the better for it.
Excellent observations, Chris. I've never thought about the "desperate hours" syndrome with WB, but now that you phrase it in that way I think you are 100% correct. That's clearly what they were doing in those episodes. You are spot on with the comments about some of the later westerns, like Laredo, being better in that regard.

Gary "the stock footage issue is another one I hadn't even brought up, but you are correct that it also hurts those WB shows badly when overused" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For me it's the Filmways shows. Now, mind you, I don't have the problem with them that Gary has, but did Oliver and Lisa Douglas ever EVER see the sun even once while living on that farm? Actually, the soundstage look works for the zaniness of the scripts. They live in such a surreal world that location shooting might make it look too real.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Rob_Ray said:
For me it's the Filmways shows. Now, mind you, I don't have the problem with them that Gary has, but did Oliver and Lisa Douglas ever EVER see the sun even once while living on that farm? Actually, the soundstage look works for the zaniness of the scripts. They live in such a surreal world that location shooting might make it look too real.
The sitcoms never bothered me as much, Rob. And your right that Green Acres in particular, with it's zaniness, isn't adversely affected by the soundstage. At least it's not for me. The primary genres that are negatively impacted by too much soundstage and not enough open air are westerns and action/adventure shows. When those are confined to soundstages it really drags things down a lot for me. Having said that, I think any show of any genre benefits from the real outdoors if that's where the shot is supposed to be taking place.

Gary "to each his own, though" O. :)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Gary OS said:
Just by way of clarification, I'm not saying the acting can't and doesn't make or break scenes, episodes, and series. It can and does all the time. But I'm probably not as focused on particular actors or actresses as much as the average viewer. I acknowledge the importance of it, but I just have a hard time looking at background scenery and surroundings that are so obviously fake. It just takes away from the overall experience for me. As I mentioned above I wish I wasn't wired that way, but I am. In fact I find that as I grow older, and am exposed to more and more high def, it gets harder and harder for me to enjoy set bound scenes, particularly in westerns and action/adventure series.

Gary "can't imagine shows like The Fugitive being as soundstage bound as many of the WB series - it just wouldn't be the same for me" O.
I also love actual location footage. While all TV shows have some "set or soundstage shooting" in probably every episode, shows with lots of authentic location footage are the best. I consider Quinn Martin Productions to be the "KING OF LOCATION FOOTAGE. In Jon Etter's excellent book on Quinn Martin he points out that Quinn Martin spent more on his shows and the results show up on the screen. Quinn Martin insisted on lots of location footage. I consider Quinn Martin shows to be superior television!

Take Care!

Robert

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If there is one drawback to location footage of that era though its when southern CA locations keep standing in for other parts of the country to less than convincing effect. Many is the time when those CA mountains will wreck the illusion of a story supposedly taking place in an Eastern state!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
MCCLOUD said:
I also love actual location footage. While all TV shows have some "set or soundstage shooting" in probably every episode, shows with lots of authentic location footage are the best. I consider Quinn Martin Productions to be the "KING OF LOCATION FOOTAGE. In Jon Etter's excellent book on Quinn Martin he points out that Quinn Martin spent more on his shows and the results show up on the screen. Quinn Martin insisted on lots of location footage. I consider Quinn Martin shows to be superior television!

Take Care!

Robert
The best example of the difference that location vs sound stage makes is taking Streets of San Francisco, which is shot all over the city vs Ironside, total studio lot as almost all cheapo Universal shows were show. Not to mention that Quinn Martin would spend money to get good guest stars while Universal (except for certain shows like Name of the Game) mostly cast nobodies.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
MCCLOUD said:

Take Care!

Robert
But Herbert B. Leonard went further by filming Route 66 all over the U.S. (a couple of episodes in Canada in S4) and Naked City in New York, where the actors played out their roles in the streets and buildings of America itself! Leonard was a trailblazer in TV's "Golden Age" indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks