What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Vic Pardo said:
Last night I was in Book Off (used book/DVD/CD store in Manhattan) looking over b&w TV shows on DVD. I thought their offerings were way overpriced, especially since they're used, and particularly the public domain sets (e.g. "Decoy" with Beverly Garland and "26 Men" with Tris Coffin). I was intrigued by "The Adventures of Robin Hood" first season set, and "The Buccaneers" complete set. Each was $10 and each was put out by Mill Creek. I opted not to get them until I've had a chance to locate some episodes on YouTube and watch them to see if they're worth getting. (Never saw "The Buccaneers" and haven't seen "Robin Hood" since childhood.) Don't know if I want to have the whole sets if I decide I don't want to see them after sampling a few eps.

Anyone have these sets and have some reactions they want to share?
I own the individual season sets of The Adventures of Robin Hood. As Ray stated the first season looks to be PD quality prints. Not really bad and very watchable but they could be better. Image improves with season 2 and I've not yet watched seasons 3 & 4. As with many MC sets there are compression artifacts due to the number of episodes per disc but for the cost I can live with it. It's far less expensive to purchase the complete set over the individual seasons. Right now it's $18.15 shipped (w/prime) from Amazon and Deep Discount is selling it via their marketplace account for $9.40 + $3.99 shipping or $10.01 +$1.99 shipping from them directly. Sometimes they don't really package well (frequently use those plastic sticky envelope things) and their CS can be lacking but the price is good. Amazon sells it for ~$12 on a fairly regular basis, has had it as low as $10 on several occasions, and last June 18th sold it for $8.58.

I also own a copy of the MC The Bucaneers but haven't yet watched any episodes. $10 is a very good price for that one as used copies on Amazon are going for more with new ones starting at ~$25.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Kildare: Complete Season 2 is now available for pre-order 1/28/14 on the Warner Archive site.
I still plan to get this show at some point.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I like the idea of samplers with episodes from multiple series. I like to see individual episodes first to see if I'd like a series well enough to want a box set. I don't understand why more distributors don't do this.

I especially liked these two sets from Timeless/Universal:

TOP TV WESTERNS:
The Virginian (3 eps.)
Wagon Train (4 eps.)
Laredo (5 eps.)
Laramie (5 eps.)
Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Top-TV-Westerns-James-Drury/dp/B004IY1AVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389374731&sr=1-1&keywords=Top+TV+Westerns

TV WESTERNS Featuring Robert Redford
The Deputy: “The Last Gunfight”
Whispering Smith: “The Grudge”
The Virginian: “The Evil that Men Do”
Tate: “Comanche Scalps” / “The Bounty Hunter”

Amazon link, including my review (the longer of the two):
http://www.amazon.com/TV-Westerns-Featuring-Redford-Episodes/dp/B005HP2J4I/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Vic Pardo said:
I like the idea of samplers with episodes from multiple series. I like to see individual episodes first to see if I'd like a series well enough to want a box set. I don't understand why more distributors don't do this.

I especially liked these two sets from Timeless/Universal:

TOP TV WESTERNS:
The Virginian (3 eps.)
Wagon Train (4 eps.)
Laredo (5 eps.)
Laramie (5 eps.)
Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Top-TV-Westerns-James-Drury/dp/B004IY1AVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389374731&sr=1-1&keywords=Top+TV+Westerns

TV WESTERNS Featuring Robert Redford
The Deputy: “The Last Gunfight”
Whispering Smith: “The Grudge”
The Virginian: “The Evil that Men Do”
Tate: “Comanche Scalps” / “The Bounty Hunter”

Amazon link, including my review (the longer of the two):
http://www.amazon.com/TV-Westerns-Featuring-Redford-Episodes/dp/B005HP2J4I/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
I've always found it interesting how we often seem to think that certain actors are "overnight" sensations. Take for example the forementioned Robert Redford. I had absolutely no clue who he was before Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, yet we can find him in multiple TV shows and movies dating back to the late 50's. Just one example where "overnight" took a decade or so.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Calling all experts: Of these fifteen B/W series, which ones do you think has any chance of eventually coming out on DVD?

Adventures in Paradise
Mr. Novak
The Defenders
Ben Casey
The Nurses (and the Doctors)
Mr. Broadway
Slattery 's People
East Side, West Side
Cain's Hundred
Bus Stop
The Dakotas
Eleventh Hour
Man of the World
The Sentimental Agent
The Alaskans

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Based on what WB has already said, and where they seem to be going, I'd say the following are our best bets:

1) The Dakotas
2) The Alaskans (just for the Roger Moore angle)
3) Mr Novak
4) Eleventh Hour
5) Cain's Hundred

One would think Ben Casey would have name appeal and might get a release. But it's really anybody's guess.

Series you didn't mention that I think might have an outside shot would include The Lawman, Colt '45, and the other more well-known WB detective series.

Gary "hoping for more ZIV stuff myself" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Based on what WB has already said, and where they seem to be going, I'd say the following are our best bets:

1) The Dakotas
2) The Alaskans (just for the Roger Moore angle)
3) Mr Novak
4) Eleventh Hour
5) Cain's Hundred

One would think Ben Casey would have name appeal and might get a release. But it's really anybody's guess.

Series you didn't mention that I think might have an outside shot would include The Lawman, Colt '45, and the other more well-known WB detective series.

Gary "hoping for more ZIV stuff myself" O.
I could go for Ben Casey, though I've never watched it. I love the medical dramas and figure it would be worth a blind buy.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
jperez said:
Calling all experts: Of these fifteen B/W series, which ones do you think has any chance of eventually coming out on DVD?

Adventures in Paradise
Mr. Novak
The Defenders
Ben Casey
Mr. Broadway
Slattery 's People
East Side, West Side
Cain's Hundred
Bus Stop
The Dakotas
Eleventh Hour
Man of the World
The Sentimental Agent
The Alaskans
I would agree with Gary's judgement, and really think that 77 Sunset Strip has an excellent chance of finally coming out this year. Such a shame that Ben Casey, East Side/West Side, Bus Stop, and the Defenders are unlikely.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would certainly give Ben Casey a look given how I've enjoyed Kildare. Funny thing is when I first heard the theme music by itself I though it was the theme for a western!

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Richard V said:
I would agree with Gary's judgement, and really think that 77 Sunset Strip has an excellent chance of finally coming out this year. Such a shame that Ben Casey, East Side/West Side, Bus Stop, and the Defenders are unlikely.
'Man of the World' & 'Sentimental Agent' have both been released in the UK.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
BEN CASEY was a very good show and novel in that the protagonist was very surly and could be quite unlikeable at times. Of course, he had a heart of gold, but it wasn't always so easy to see. Having your lead character in a medical drama be anything less than either the kindly old doddering doctor or the eager, earnest young doctor was a refreshing change of pace. I enjoyed the show very much.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
jperez said:

Adventures in Paradise
Mr. Novak
The Defenders
Ben Casey
Mr. Broadway
Slattery 's People
East Side, West Side
Cain's Hundred
Bus Stop
The Dakotas
Eleventh Hour
Man of the World
The Sentimental Agent
The Alaskans
I never heard of the last three on your list so I just went and looked them up on IMDB. They sound as interesting as the rest of the titles on your list. The only series on that list I remember watching regularly was "Mr. Novak." As I recall, it came on either just before or just after one of my favorite series of the time, "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

I can tell you that a certain YouTube channel has posted many episodes of "Bus Stop" and "Adventures in Paradise," so they can be seen. Just not DVD quality. But if, like me, you haven't seen either series before, YouTube is a helpful way to preview them.
Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg20H9V7xy2nzMSb2nOs1gQ/videos

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I forgot to add a few more...

It's a Man's World (Glenn Corbett)
The Trials of O'Brien (Peter Falk)
The New Breed (Leslie Nielsen)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Ian K McLachlan said:
The Defenders is the one that I would really like to see. I think that it might get a release.
I, too, would love to see The Defenders get a complete series release on DVD!

Darby

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Darby67 said:
I, too, would love to see The Defenders get a complete series release on DVD!

Darby
I would love to see this series too. I have several on 16mm and it is really a fantastic show. E.G. Marshall is a top notch actor. I mean who can be so diverse they could include both 12 Angry Men and Creepshow in their resume. LOL. Seriously though, I don't hold out much hope for this one due to the fact that since it has aired, it has been very lightly syndicated for some reason. Why, I'm not sure. Maybe the perception is that the cases look too dated today. Either way, it would be great, but likely won't happen

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think the reason why it didn't have a syndication afterlife is because shows that were "issue" oriented simply don't wear well with people if they have to see them five nights a week in daily syndication which is the only way shows could be marketed at the time for syndication sales.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yesterday I happened to tune into TCM for lunchtime and caught the last 20 minutes of a 40's western called "Bad Bascomb." Just a very average film with some nice actors from that time period (Wallace Berry, Marjorie Main, Frances Rafferty, etc). But the thing that caught my eye was all the on-location filming in what looked to be somewhere in Wyoming, Utah, Montana or one of those Big Sky western states. It was just gorgeous and blew me away visually. Oh if only Warners had filmed their 50's westerns and detective series on location instead of succumbing to the sound-stage mentality. I can live with some back lot shooting, but not sound stages and projection screens. I just can't get past all the fake scenery. Wish I wasn't wired that way, but I am. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy for every fan of each of those series. I really, really am. But I just can't get worked up knowing I'll be seeing so many fake backdrops, especially in westerns, where beautiful outdoor scenery should be. What makes this doubly tough is knowing that WBA is probably going to be the main source of b/w TV on DVD in 2014. Unless Timeless, CBS, and/or TGG really surprises, it's probably going to be slim pickings for me this year.

Gary "I will enjoy The Dakotas when it's released by the WBA, but that looks to be a while yet" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Yesterday I happened to tune into TCM for lunchtime and caught the last 20 minutes of a 40's western called "Bad Bascomb." Just a very average film with some nice actors from that time period (Wallace Berry, Marjorie Main, Frances Rafferty, etc). But the thing that caught my eye was all the on-location filming in what looked to be somewhere in Wyoming, Utah, Montana or one of those Big Sky western states. It was just gorgeous and blew me away visually. Oh if only Warners had filmed their 50's westerns and detective series on location instead of succumbing to the sound-stage mentality. I can live with some back lot shooting, but not sound stages and projection screens. I just can't get past all the fake scenery. Wish I wasn't wired that way, but I am. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy for every fan of each of those series. I really, really am. But I just can't get worked up knowing I'll be seeing so many fake backdrops, especially in westerns, where beautiful outdoor scenery should be. What makes this doubly tough is knowing that WBA is probably going to be the main source of b/w TV on DVD in 2014. Unless Timeless, CBS, and/or TGG really surprises, it's probably going to be slim pickings for me this year.

Gary "I will enjoy The Dakotas when it's released by the WBA, but that looks to be a while yet" O.
I guess they never thought of the day that we would have hi-def TV's and DVD/BD formats. I was watching a S9 episode of The Beverly Hillbillies (on VHS nonetheless) a while back. The Clampetts and Phil Silvers were supposed to be in Washington, D.C. but whenever they "stood" in front of a famous landmark (White House for instance) you could tell they were standing against a backdrop of it, not the real thing. I'm sure back in "the day" on a little snowy 19" TV (that may have still been B&W even) it wasn't noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I still want that particular show scanned from the 35mm film and on DVD but I just wonder how much worse it will look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks