1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

When you see it, you'll have a deja vu experience because the "Cheyenne" episode that introduced Samantha was recycled as the S2 "Maverick" episode "Yellow River" only this time with a Samantha clone (though Bart at one point twice asks this woman "You wouldn't happen to have any relatives named Crawford would you? Samantha Crawford?" It's one of the earliest examples of how Warner would do this a lot.

2. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

I recently watched 22 episodes of "Dragnet" (1950s) on a box set released by Echo Bridge Entertainment. I assume it was p.d. because the prints were generally in poor condition. But I loved watching them. I'ld love to see more. There were hundreds of episodes. Have there been other releases? Has there ever been a legit release by the copyright owner? (Not sure if this was discussed earlier, but I came to this thread late and I'm not gonna plow through 91 pages of posts.)

Thanks.

3. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

THe various public domain releases over the years are all the same episodes with a few random differences here and there. I have the old Madacy release of about 25 episodes I think. They all use the same 16mm source material so you'll never see any difference in video quality on any of them. The Shout release of 60s Dragnet S3 (I think) has one additional 50s episode as a bonus not included in other PD releases.

I still prefer 50s Dragnet on radio, especially with Friday's first partner, Ben Romero played by Barton Yarborough who tragically died after doing just the first two TV episodes in late 1951 and after doing the role on radio for two and half years. I've never fully warmed up to Ben Alexander as Frank Smith by contrast.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
  5. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Anyone interested in this show should really check out the radio programs. They're terrific. Some of the best OTR ever.

Richard V likes this.
  6. Silverking

Silverking Well-Known Member

Chris Street
  7. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    Listened to one on Sirius radio. It was great.

8. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

I did a review of the Dragnet box set on my blog, with pictures:

http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com

Remember the episode with Michael Ansara as a grieving husband?
    [​IMG]

Or Lee Marvin as an unrepentant serial killer?
    [​IMG]

9. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Since this is a landmark show, a comprehensive 1950's Dragnet set should have been released long ago, but at this stage , who would do it? Seems like companies are shying away from releasing b & W shows , especially shows that have episodes in the Public Domain . .

10. Dan McW

Dan McW Well-Known Member

Dan
    Lee Marvin's episode was called "The Big Cast," perhaps sarcastically because Lee is the only cast member in the show besides the regulars.

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Bringing over a discussion from another thread because it fits here so well:

Regrettably, I must agree with everything Chris has stated. Right now things are not looking good with regards to Timeless specifically and, somewhat by default, B/W TV on DVD in general. The slowdown that began several years ago, with a few surges here and there, seems to really be kicking in now. The second half of this year really has been sparse, and it doesn't look like it will get any better next year if January and February are any indication.

I went and looked at the stats (i.e. releases) since August and they really are grim. Less than a dozen new b/w series releases (not counting re-releases of any kind), and I've only been interested in half of those since many are the WB westerns that don't really interest me.

Gary "not saying we won't still get some older material released, but I honestly don't see it picking back up strong from here" O.

Jeff Willis, Steve...O and Ron1973 like this.
  12. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

S2 of "Burke's Law" is my only B/W show that if it isn't released will always leave me with a sense of having an unscratchable itch I can't attend to collecting wise. If that makes it, I can be 100% at peace even if other titles that I might be interested in never make it.

13. jrol

jrol Member

John
    Yes to this. I have a few more B&W series that I would still jump on if somehow they ever saw release, such as Burns & Allen, the remaining seasons of ZANE GREY THEATER, etc., but the second season of BURKE'S LAW is an item whose continued absence still bothers me, and I still hold out hope that it will come out on DVD before the curtain truly falls on B&W series sets.

14. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Re-posting this news here:

According to the CBS Syndication Bible, Our Miss Brooks Season One is being transferred into HD!! That's big time news in my book. And completely unexpected.

Gary "very excited to read this information" O.

Jeff Willis likes this.
  15. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    CBS continues to amaze! I wonder what other surprises they have in store?

16. David Weicker

David Weicker Well-Known Member

David
    Kind of off-topic (i.e. not release related).

But the Game Show Network (at least for the next two weeks) is showing What's My Line and I've Got A Secret in the wee hours (2am/2:30am CST) Monday through Friday.

What's My Line is one of my favorite shows of all time (after Doctor Who, Remington Steele, and The Rockford Files),

David

17. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I've never watched it, Gary, but usually shows of that era don't disappoint for me. A friend on Facebook gave me a link to some of the episodes on YouTube. I intend on watching those after Christmas and seeing what I think! I'd say right now without watching those that I would still go blind buy for the series.

Gary OS likes this.
  18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    CBS taking steps to potentially release Our Miss Brooks has to be one of the tv on DVD biggest surprises ever. I wonder what their thinking is about that. Personally, I'd still like them to revisit Bilko.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    I recently read a book about the making of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." The book said Mary Richards was the first single, employed woman on television.

After rolling my eyes and shaking my head, I reviewed the book on Amazon and I said I think that honor should go to Connie Brooks, on "Our Miss Brooks," which began on radio 22 years before "The MTM Show" and on television 18 years before. (There were other single, employed women before MTM, too, such as Ann Sothern in two series; even Lucy Carmichael eventually worked for Mr. Mooney.)

Maybe there's some feminist push to get Miss Brooks on home video.

I'm kidding about that, of course, but I hope CBS is really thinking of releasing this -- in HD, no less -- because I'm tired of watching those horrible, cut syndicated prints on YouTube.

Rob_Ray and Ron1973 like this.
  20. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    The CBS Syndication Bible says this for "Our Miss Brooks":

"This series will be transferred into HD and have the following masters:
    Network 4x3 (Season 1, 32 episodes)"

However, the first season had 38 episodes, so as usual, I'm confused and pessimistic.

Confused -----> :huh:
    Pessimistic ------> :unsure:

JoeDoakes likes this.