What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (15 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Professor Echo said:
What does any of this have to do with FRONTIER CIRCUS anyway? The single greatest show in the history of ever.
Are you joking? Is Frontier Circus that great? Why?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JoeDoakes said:
Are you joking? Is Frontier Circus that great? Why?
He's joking. Initially it was kind of an inside joke between Glen and me. Now it's out there for everyone to laugh at. Although, truth be told, I do think there are far worse shows than Frontier Circus. It's okay. Just not a great western.

Gary "anxiously awaiting more b/w news - hope something good will be announced soon" O.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Gary OS said:
He's joking. Initially it was kind of an inside joke between Glen and me. Now it's out there for everyone to laugh at. Although, truth be told, I do think there are far worse shows than Frontier Circus. It's okay. Just not a great western. Gary "anxiously awaiting more b/w news - hope something good will be announced soon" O.
Is there any chance for City Detective, starring Rod Cameron? Highly unlikely, but I have an 11-episode 2-DVD set from The Nostalgia Merchant and I enjoyed watching those episodes, it's a good show!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
On a black-and-white TV-related note, the Encore Western Channel runs "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp," among other classic western shows, and aired the "China Mary" episode starring Anna May Wong this past Monday. Wong was the first Asian-American star in Hollywood and was active primarily in the 1930s and '40s. This was one of her last acting jobs. I review this episode on my blog, which has covered other old TV shows from time to time. Please check it out:
http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com

And here's a shot from the show, with Hugh O'Brian and Miss Wong:
9551960644_177f81f3ff.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Professor Echo said:
I think most of the posters in this thread are more adventurous when it comes to vintage TV and would lean more toward embracing everything, even if just for historical and scholarly reasons, but as far as the general public goes, I'm afraid they are as Neil alludes, the type who want to hear the same oldies over and over again.

I personally have experimented with so many different types of shows from the past and subjected my gf to many of them, regardless of pedigree or established tradition. Often her response has been: "There are reasons why some things are classics and some are not," a generally negative reaction to what was heretofore unknown to her. There have been some successes that have thwarted her expectations, but without that inherent curiosity and enthusiasm that many of us who post in this thread possess, it can sometimes be a tough sell.

After showing my gf the old series GRINDL, she was ready to swear off all vintage TV forever. And who can blame her?!
After seeing a number of posts mentioning GRINDL as one of the all time worst sitcoms, I couldn't help but wonder why no one was asking for clarification regarding what the letters stood for, assuming it was an abbreviation. Then, I decide to google it and of course, discover this was the actual show's title! I thought I had a pretty decent knowledge of old television shows, but this one somehow eluded me! With an awful title like that, no wonder, LOL!
CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
According to Amazon.com the early 1960's black and white Edie Adams Show will be released on DVD. Also season 4 of Beverley Hillbillies ,and season 3 of Petticoat junction which I believe are B&W will be released by Paramount.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
LouA said:
According to Amazon.com the early 1960's black and white Edie Adams Show will be released on DVD. Also season 4 of Beverley Hillbillies ,and season 3 of Petticoat junction which I believe are B&W will be released by Paramount.
S4 of TBH is color as is PJ.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
LouA said:
According to Amazon.com the early 1960's black and white Edie Adams Show will be released on DVD.
Link? I can't find it.

Gary "hope someone [i.e. studio] keeps bringing on the b/w releases" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think I posted this earlier, but I'm going to post it again. It seems that TMG has really dried up since the middle of the year. I know McKenzie's Raiders and Harbor Command are coming, but is that it, for the rest of the year? TMG was really cranking them out, but now they have slowed to a trickle. Does anyone know if there is more in the pipeline, or have they mined out everything they can?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would like to know as well. I fear that Shout moving away from classic TV is starting to effect Timeless. I hope they at least are able to release Season 2 and 3 of Tombstone Territory and the long rumoured "The Rebel". I would think there are more ZIV shows they securred unless TGG got them.

Richard V said:
I think I posted this earlier, but I'm going to post it again. It seems that TMG has really dried up since the middle of the year. I know McKenzie's Raiders and Harbor Command are coming, but is that it, for the rest of the year? TMG was really cranking them out, but now they have slowed to a trickle. Does anyone know if there is more in the pipeline, or have they mined out everything they can?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Randy Korstick said:
I would like to know as well. I fear that Shout moving away from classic TV is starting to effect Timeless. I hope they at least are able to release Season 2 and 3 of Tombstone Territory and the long rumoured "The Rebel". I would think there are more ZIV shows they securred unless TGG got them.
Things have definitely slowed down ever since the Shout "takeover" of the company, but don't give up entirely on them just yet. They have a very strong record of finishing series they start and so I'd say you can bank on getting the rest of Tombstone Territory (sooner rather than later too). I'm not sure what's really up with The Rebel but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But yeah - the well is seemingly drying up quickly. All we can do is watch for further news. I know a little, but not enough to make much hay about right now.

Gary "wish things looked better - and maybe they will down the road - but right now there's not a lot to get excited about unfortunately" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Gary
I haven't given up on them its just hard to accept the slow realization of whats happening in the Classic TV market.
Mod's may be all we have left before long.
Thats encouraging news about Tombstone Territory. Thats been a nice recent discovery for me.
I hope they can clear up The Rebel
Gary OS said:
Things have definitely slowed down ever since the Shout "takeover" of the company, but don't give up entirely on them just yet. They have a very strong record of finishing series they start and so I'd say you can bank on getting the rest of Tombstone Territory (sooner rather than later too). I'm not sure what's really up with The Rebel but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But yeah - the well is seemingly drying up quickly. All we can do is watch for further news. I know a little, but not enough to make much hay about right now.

Gary "wish things looked better - and maybe they will down the road - but right now there's not a lot to get excited about unfortunately" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I guess the releases of B&W tv shows had to stop at some point, but the last year or so was so productive that I assumed it would continue. I especially was looking forward to more ZIV releases from TGG Direct and Timeless. Still we may get an occasional release from those companies and VCI , Mill Creek etc, and some "out of the blue " releases like "Here's Edie". Also the fact that Paramount just started up some stalled shows could possibly give us hope for the remaining seasons of Sgt Bilko. But at this point it no longer looks good for shows like Tightrope, Adventures In Paradise, My Little Margie , Trackdown , Rin Tin Tin, etc. to get DVD releases .

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
I hope that the remaining three seasons of Sgt Bilko will be released (without a doubt, one of the best sitcom of all time) and I sure might be interested in Tightrope, Trackdown and Adventures of Paradise too. And also those 4 Warners Detective series: Bourbon Street Beat, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Did the last volume of "Steve Canyon" ever get released? I had that show on my watch list for awhile for eventual purchase but lost track of it. The last I remember reading was that delays had occured but the gentleman working on the releases was working diligently to make it happen. He seemed like a stand up guy when he posted here and came across as one of the good guys in the business especially since he was working on something that nobody else would have touched.

I agree with Maskedmala above that "Bilko" was a terrific series and more releases would be welcome. Hopefully now that CBS/P has finished some long running series more "slots" will open up and releases won't be competing with so many others coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks