What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gary OS said:
A very good friend just told me that the half-season sets can be had for $19.99 a piece at Sam's Club. That's only $40 (plus a little for tax) for the season and the best price I'm aware of.

Gary "the same goes for the latest Gunsmoke releases" O.
I saw them here just last week - $19.99 each. I looked for S3, S4, and S5 as I don't have them yet but all they had was S6. Still... at that price I may just bite anyway.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Professor Echo said:
Gary, let me know if you ever see any Timeless releases back at Sam's. They apparently lost the contract they used to have with them, maybe related to Shout, I don't know. But they always had the best deals on Timeless and I miss them.
I was wondering why I never see them anymore at Sam's. Now I know, very sad.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard V said:
I was wondering why I never see them anymore at Sam's. Now I know, very sad.
Sam's seems to have stepped back from DVDs alot. I still see Timeless titles at Walmart!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
JoeDoakes said:
Sam's seems to have stepped back from DVDs alot. I still see Timeless titles at Walmart!
It's the same here. WM has increased their DVD titles, especially Timeless and other TVonDVD, while the DVD section at SAMs has shrunk to 50% of what it was a year ago.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I bought the half season sets of Rawhide Season 6 at Sam's Club the other day at the price mentioned above. Very thankful to the individual who originally told me about this. $40 was my max out price for this and I had thought it'd be a long, long wait. Glad it wasn't since this is a Top 5 series for me.

Gary "only one more season to go for me (don't have any interest in the 'Favorless' S8)" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Gary OS said:
I bought the half season sets of Rawhide Season 6 at Sam's Club the other day at the price mentioned above. Very thankful to the individual who originally told me about this. $40 was my max out price for this and I had thought it'd be a long, long wait. Glad it wasn't since this is a Top 5 series for me.

Gary "only one more season to go for me (don't have any interest in the 'Favorless' S8)" O.

If you're going to get the seventh season of Rawhide, you might want to prepare yourself. The producers for that season, including Bruce Geller who went on to do Mission: Impossible and Mannix, really did a number on the show, treating it more as a farce than anything else. Just wait to see the two-part episode "Damon's Road." Quite a far, far cry from the realism of the Charles Marquis Warren years. I'm all for experimenting and trying new things, but Geller and co. went a little too far with Rawhide. They didn't seem to give the show or characters the respect that they earned over the last 6 seasons.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I just recieved an order from Warner Archives. Cheyenne seasons 4 and 5 are real pressed DVD's ,as is season 2 of Courtship Of Eddie's Father. I also recieved Cheyenne Season 3 , but it's a DVD-R. It seems like WA has shifted production on some titles to regular pressed DVDs which I personally prefer. (Sugarfoot, Dr Kildare, and both volumes of the bowery Boys are real DVDs). Is anyone out there aware of others? , Maisie ?, Andy Hardy?, Great Gildersleeve, Litlle Rascals ? etc?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
jdee28 said:
If you're going to get the seventh season of Rawhide, you might want to prepare yourself.
I'm aware of what you're talking about, having heard it from others in the past. And because I've had a chance to view some of them for myself. But if for no other reason, I have to buy S7 just to see the infamous "Lost Herd" episode, in its remastered glory. See, I've already got S7 from Australia, but I'm willing to double-dip for the R1 discs since they'll presumably be cleaned up.

Gary "but S7 is as far as I go - I positively will NOT be purchasing S8" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Watched the Rawhide episode from S6 starring Elizabeth Montgomery tonight and witnessed one of those stranger than fiction moments when Favor asks if Montgomery's character is a witch. Unless I'm mistaken, this bit of dialog predated Bewitched by about a year. What a hoot.

Gary " :lol: " O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
These kinds of serendipitous moments happen a lot in these shows. On "Burke's Law" for instance there's one episode where Barbara Eden is wearing a costume that seems like a Jeannie screen test, and in another episode when Captain Burke comes to interview a suspect, the suspect erroneously calls him "Captain Kirk." But what elevates that to the "you can't make this up" department, in the *same* episode where he's called Captain Kirk by one suspect, another suspect is named "Miss Tribble"!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Watched the Rawhide episode from S6 starring Elizabeth Montgomery tonight and witnessed one of those stranger than fiction moments when Favor asks if Montgomery's character is a witch. Unless I'm mistaken, this bit of dialog predated Bewitched by about a year. What a hoot.

Gary " :lol: " O.
As a fan of both shows, that's great :lol:

"Endora" conjures up a herd to select a prime steak for dinner... heading down 'Morning Glory Circle'.

I can hear Darrin... "Sam, get rid of those cows!"

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I finished up the first disc (4 episodes) of Rawhide S6, V1 this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. As is often the case, the show filmed plenty on location for these early season eps and it really made my day. Some beautiful scenery was on display, and the episodes were well written. Definitely my favorite TV western series of all time!

Gary "HGWT is right behind it at #2" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I just thought I'd add that we watch a lot of b&w television in our home and we'll continue to do so for many years. :)

I recently purchased the three seasons of The Patty Duke Show and my family and I are thoroughly enjoying it. I have the entire series taped off of television on VHS tape, but it's really good to have this series on DVD. Although the video quality wasn't too bad on the tapes, every now and then the audio was challenging.Some of the other b&w shows that we watch on a regular basis include Dark Shadows, The Fugitive, season one of Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C., Leave It To Beaver, The Outer Limits, Perry Mason, and The Rifleman, among others.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I was in Barnes & Noble last night and on a whim I picked up a 4-disc box set of The Lone Ranger, from Classic Media, for $14.99. It was the one labeled on Amazon, "28 Thrilling Episodes." No indication on the DVD case of which episodes or which season. There was one color photo on the back with the b&w photos, so I was hoping that meant there would be some color episodes on there. When I got it home and opened the package, I was dismayed to see that there was no list of episodes anywhere in the package, so I had to pop in each disc to see the menu and then write down the episode titles. They were all from Season One, so no color episodes. And I could have gotten it for $9.99 on Amazon. Oh, well. At least they're not bootleg, like the Classic TV Westerns box set from Mill Creek, which has the only other Lone Ranger episodes in my collection (including the origin episode).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Vic Pardo said:
I was in Barnes & Noble last night and on a whim I picked up a 4-disc box set of The Lone Ranger, from Classic Media, for $14.99. It was the one labeled on Amazon, "28 Thrilling Episodes." No indication on the DVD case of which episodes or which season. There was one color photo on the back with the b&w photos, so I was hoping that meant there would be some color episodes on there. When I got it home and opened the package, I was dismayed to see that there was no list of episodes anywhere in the package, so I had to pop in each disc to see the menu and then write down the episode titles. They were all from Season One, so no color episodes. And I could have gotten it for $9.99 on Amazon. Oh, well. At least they're not bootleg, like the Classic TV Westerns box set from Mill Creek, which has the only other Lone Ranger episodes in my collection (including the origin episode).
Season sets from CM as a follow up to thier lavish box set would be nice .

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LouA said:
That would be great! I purchased the earlier CM set and as much as I'd like to own the final 3 seasons I don't want to double-dip to get them. At this point I'm content to wait for either individual releases or the eventual fire sale to clearance out the mega-set. I haven't even finished watching the first set yet and I've owned it for a couple of years. Too much stuff and too little time...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
LouA said:
What would be even nicer is if CM would have used complete episodes with fresh transfers. After reading comments in the Lone Ranger thread from an individual who bought the mega set this went to my do not purchase list unfortunately. I noticed that the sets that my Costco got in for $99 have gone untouched so would expect to see this clearanced out at some point. CM laid an egg with this in my opinion and they focused too much attention on style and not enough on substance. The LR deserves better.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You listed quite a few of my favorites, Scott. There are so, so many b/w shows that I absolutely love and can watch over and over. Amongst the shows you mentioned the rewatchability factor is especially strong in The Fugitive, The Patty Duke Show, LITB, Perry Mason and The Rifleman. I've yet to watch Dark Shadows, but that's only because I know how long-running a series it is and I don't won't to get hooked. I've got too much on my plate as it is, but I have good friends that love the show and I know it's a great one.

Gary "everyone's different, but for me there's nothing like 50's and early 60's television - I wouldn't trade them for any other decade or era of TV" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary,

Those really are some wonderful shows. I can't wait for The Rifleman to be released in its entirety on DVD. I will cherish that release when it occurs! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks