1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    There was a reproduction done for the movie but only the one truck for the entire run of the series. Max Baer, Jr. talked about how tough the thing was to drive....no power steering or power brakes and he said it drove like a tank. I think the reproduction may be the one in Orlando.

2. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    I had this two and I could never figure the damn thin out. Of, course, I was in 4th grade. I still think it's somewhere in my parent's attic with my Mattel electronic games. I never threw anything out.

3. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of TV series that began production in black-and-white and switched to color before the end of their run? (E.g., "Wagon Train," "Gilligan's Island")

4. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

William Hughes
    I have the following:

Lost in Space

Combat!

Gilligan's Island

The Wild Wild West

Superman

The Fugitive

Lassie (Homemade DVD)

5. maskedmala

maskedmala Well-Known Member

Maurice
    Hazel

6. maskedmala

Maurice
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

7. maskedmala

Maurice
    My Three Sons

8. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Virtually every show that was in the midst of a multi-season run in 1965-66 switched from b&w to color. Everything from perennial classics such as Gunsmoke and The Andy Griffith Show to such now-overlooked series as Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

There are too many to list here, but off the top of my head, besides the ones noted above, I can think of:

The Lucy Show
    Branded
    F Troop
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Petticoat Junction
    The Fugitive
    Bewitched
    I Dream of Jeannie
    The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
    Superman
    The Lone Ranger
    Wagon Train
    Lost in Space
    The Hollywood Palace
    The Danny Kaye Show
    all the daytime soaps, including the surviving Dark Shadows
    all the game shows, including the surviving Password

There are many, many more.

9. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    The pilots to Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart were both filmed in b/w

10. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    The next logical question is, "Are there any shows that were BETTER in B&W before they made the switch to color?"

11. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Most of them were, because they were fresher in their earlier seasons. Especially Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke. The switch to color may have had little to do with it.

12. Ron1973

I think The Beverly Hillbillies hit its stride in Season 4, the first color season. Andy Griffith was much better in black and white; the color seasons felt more like a new show. Bewitched I've never saw that many of the black and white shows to know as only the color ones were syndicated here and Gunsmoke was better, to me anyway, in its later seasons.

13. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Bewitched was almost an entirely different show in its black and white years, due to several factors many of which have little to do with the switch to color. In seasons one and two, it was a romantic comedy similar to "Bell, Book and Candle" in which a young sophisticated witch chooses to throw her former life away when she meets the man of her dreams who happens to be mortal. It was about two people in love making a mixed marriage work. Alice Pearce was a perplexed Gladys Kravitz who thought she was losing her mind when she saw the magic going on across the street. Irene Vernon was the poised, older, sophisticated Boss's wife, Louise Tate. The look of the show was almost noirish, occasionally reminiscent of "I Married a Witch." Tabitha came along mid-way through season two, but as a newborn she was seldom out of her crib.

Season Three went color with major changes. Alice Pearce's death caused Gladys Kravitz to be recast with Sandra Gould, who became much more of a nemesis. Sandra's Gladys never reached for her pills. She was more apt to call the cops. Louise Tate was recast with Kasey Rogers, who played her younger, more casual and fun-loving. The introduction of Tabitha as a toddler meant there were a lot more juvenile hijinks. Clearly, ABC wanted the show to start going after the juvenile audience. With rare exceptions, the emphasis was more on getting laughs with the magic without the poignancy of the tender love story getting in the way. The addition of color meant garish color everywhere, from Endora's makeup and costumes to the whole look of the show. No more "I Married a Witch." Now it might as well have been "Gilligan's Island" as far as the cinematography was concerned.

Even the way Elizabeth Montgomery approached the role was different. She was softer, more like Veronica Lake, in the early years. She was a little more Lucille Ball, with her "Weeeellll!" later on.

14. Ron1973

I never knew for years it was even filmed in b&w. I walked into someone's house one evening and TV Land or someone was playing one of the early episodes. I should have known it stood to reason it started in b&w.

You're so right about the influx of TOO much color. However, I think a lot of shows went that direction. Sort of a "look what we can do now" sorta thing.

15. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Hazel actually had one color episode during it's initial B & W season. The episode had to do with buying a color television set!

16. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    I'm a bit concerned that my final holy grail, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, is in a bad spot right now. Don't ask me why I'm concerned. Just know that I'm concerned. Hopefully those concerns fade and we hear some positive news soon.

Gary "also hoping we eventually get the final volume of Steve Canyon - I know John is doing the best he can" O.

17. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Well-Known Member

Patrick
    Gary, I figure you must have some valid reason for your concerns based on some inside information, unless it's just a gut feeling. Either way, here's hoping (in the not too distant future) that there's some positive news on the horizon.

18. Gary OS

Gary
    Patrick, all I'll say is that I've heard from multiple sources that things are not running as smoothly as hoped. But I'll go no further than that, and instead simply say that we all need to hope for better things going forward.

Gary "what a shame it would be if this project got stymied and stalled out" O.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    Am I the only one getting sick of these "I know something you don't know" messages?

If you have something to say, say it. If you CAN'T say it, please don't say anything. Thanks.

20. Gary OS

Gary
    Am I the only one that has noticed how much more unfriendly this place has become recently? Seems like bad attitudes rule the day now. It's no wonder I'm posting less and less.

Gary "between the bad attitudes and the people that just want to see their names at the top of the page in multiple threads they've started, it's getting tougher to find the will to engage - I miss the good old days where some of my all-time favorite posters used to be here regularly - sigh..." O.