What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (5 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think that, originally, it was Warner's intent that everything be released in the archive. One major stumbling block for television is that people do expect to buy it in at least half season chunks, and that involves a lot more film than an 80 minute movie. Also, WAC now says it has increased it picture quality standards for its releases, as opposed to the original intent to release whatever transfer they have. That is another obstacle to getting out television.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
I think that, originally, it was Warner's intent that everything be released in the archive. One major stumbling block for television is that people do expect to buy it in at least half season chunks, and that involves a lot more film than an 80 minute movie. Also, WAC now says it has increased it picture quality standards for its releases, as opposed to the original intent to release whatever transfer they have. That is another obstacle to getting out television.
It shouldn't be that big of a stumbling block. All of the Turner/MGM shows, which Warner now owns, were beautifully remastered onto 1-inch tape when Turner bought the MGM library. And many of the older Warner series were also remastered when they made the big sale to ALN about a decade ago. So, except for a few shows that may have fallen through the cracks, they should have perfectly acceptable copies of many of their series.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
For fans of Mannix, Dynasty, and The Streets of SF, I know the latest update is good news. And as always, even though I'm not going to pick up any of those titles, I am happy for devotees of those series. But knowing what I do, via my ever faithful crystal ball, there's a tinge of bad news in these announcements. You see, there were 3 well-known b/w shows that CBS/P had tentatively scheduled releases for in the months of May and June, and the fact that none of these have been announced yet, while the 3 color series above have been announced for July releases, definitely concerns me. I fear it is more evidence that b/w shows are dying on the proverbial vine. I hope we get some news from CBS soon about some of these b/w shows I know were on the schedule. Heck, I'd like to hear an update about The Fugitive too. Right now it looks like Timeless may be my primary outlet in 2012 for vintage TV on DVD if some of the other outfits don't pick up the pace soon. Wish I were a bigger fan of 70's/80's material, as that seems to be getting a lot of play right now. But alas, I'm not. Oh well...

Gary "hoping CBS can at least get a couple of b/w releases out by the end of 2012 - I can't remember if they've released even one yet this year" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I just double-checked the release schedule at TVShowsonDVD.com and unless something changes soon, it appears that CBS/Paramount will not release even one b/w show in the first half of 2012! That's unbelievable considering they've been the best major studio over the last decade at releasing vintage material. What a sad state of affairs.

Gary "did they hire some new kid exec that hates b/w TV?" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Would those tentatively scheduled b/w series have come out as the 6th and Final Season Vol. 1, the 4th and Final Season Vol. 1, and the 7th Season Vol. 1? I will certainly understand if you can't share more, but if it is those series, which looked so likely, then things are certainly bleak...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Lee, there's still the 2nd half of the year where some other b/w material is still on the tentative schedule, so all is not lost - yet. That's where one of the shows you hinted at is sitting for release. But two of the ones you mentioned were indeed scheduled for May/June releases. So yes, things do look somewhat bleak.

Gary "and that Fugitive release seems to have fallen off the face of the earth" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's a real bummer when CBS/Paramount holds the rights to many of the shows you really want to see continue on DVD. And of course, all are black and white: Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Have Gun-Will Travel, Perry Mason, The Untouchables. You're reduced to hoping that both you and the DVD format lasts long enough to see some further seasons.
Encore Westerns is starting to show Gunsmoke Season 6. It looks like they'll show most of the episodes from that year, 37 out of 39 I think. That might be the best way of getting them. They're also starting to show the later years of Rawhide.
To anyone who has been watching, has Encore's episodes of Season 4 looked better than what was released on DVD?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdee28 /t/317650/is-the-b-w-era-of-tv-on-dvd-slowly-coming-to-an-end/120#post_3912991
It's a real bummer when CBS/Paramount holds the rights to many of the shows you really want to see continue on DVD. And of course, all are black and white: Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Have Gun-Will Travel, Perry Mason, The Untouchables. You're reduced to hoping that both you and the DVD format lasts long enough to see some further seasons.
Well said, John.

Gary "I'd certainly expect Perry Mason survive at least one more year, but I think all the others are probably coin flips at this point" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How many great, long-running and popular black and white shows are still absent on DVD? Here's some of them:
Dragnet, The Lineup, Burns and Allen, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, Life of Riley, Love That Bob, Bachelor Father, The Millionaire, Death Valley Days, The Jack Benny Show, 77 Sunset Strip, Dr. Kildare, Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Lawman, Sea Hunt, Sheriff of Cochise, Dobie Gillis, Hawaiian Eye, The Defenders, The Gale Storm Show, My Little Margie, I Led Three Lives, Whirlybirds, Bat Masterson, People's Choice, Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, Henessey, Colt .45, Roaring 20s, Surfside 6, Sugarfoot, Bronco, The Nurses.
A lot of really popular, filmed series, which are all residing intact in the vaults.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Neil Brock said:
How many great, long-running and popular black and white shows are still absent on DVD? Here's some of them:
Dragnet, The Lineup, Burns and Allen, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, Life of Riley, Love That Bob, Bachelor Father, The Millionaire, Death Valley Days, The Jack Benny Show, 77 Sunset Strip, Dr. Kildare, Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Lawman, Sea Hunt, Sheriff of Cochise, Dobie Gillis, Hawaiian Eye, The Defenders, The Gale Storm Show, My Little Margie, I Led Three Lives, Whirlybirds, Bat Masterson, People's Choice, Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, Henessey, Colt .45, Roaring 20s, Surfside 6, Sugarfoot, Bronco, The Nurses.
A lot of really popular, filmed series, which are all residing intact in the vaults.
Makes me yearn for the days of the old CBN Network from the early 80s (which eventually morphed into Family Channel, then ABC Family Channel). Many of those shows listed ran on CBN at some point. Burns & Allen, Dobie Gillis and Jack Benny were my favorites--I'd buy season sets of those in a heartbeat, along with I Married Joan (big Jim Backus fan)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I really want quality Jack Benny and Burns & Allen sets. These should have happened by now.Hopefully with antenna TV exposure, something is in the works though I have heard that they are only airing PD episodes. I have heard tale of a more solid collection of all PD Jack Benny coming but I don't know when.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Jeff*H said:
/t/317650/is-the-b-w-era-of-tv-on-dvd-slowly-coming-to-an-end/120#post_3913231
I really want quality Jack Benny and Burns & Allen sets. These should have happened by now.
Agreed. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'm still blown away by the fact that, unless something changes quickly, CBS will have gone through the first half of 2012 with zero b/w releases! If that doesn't demonstrate how grim the outlook is heading forward, I don't know what does.

Gary "thank goodness for Timeless" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Maybe there's a hold up with these b&w shows because they haven't been fully HD transferred yet, neither final seasons of HGWT or The Untouchables have as far as I can tell. This of course never prevented Paramount in the past from releasing titles not remastered, Cannon case in point, so if that's not why then I wonder too.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hey Gary I wanted to ask if you knew that Streets of San Francisco Season 3 was coming? Streets had been stalled for over 3 years I believe. Also, Gary do you think with Streets being continued after over a 3 year wait, there is much of a chance of Cannon Season 3 and Barnaby Jones Season 2 coming out on DVD after being stalled for over 2 years? Thanks And God Bless!
Robert

mmyers

Agent
Real Name
mike myers
Gary OS
While you're being asked about other shows, is there any news on upcoming Timeless releases? I keep hoping to see that the complete Restless Gun and Seasons 3,4 and 5 of Tales of Wells Fargo are on the horizon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Barnaby Jones said:
/t/317650/is-the-b-w-era-of-tv-on-dvd-slowly-coming-to-an-end/120#post_3913438
Gary OS
While you're being asked about other shows, is there any news on upcoming Timeless releases? I keep hoping to see that the complete Restless Gun and Seasons 3,4 and 5 of Tales of Wells Fargo are on the horizon.
Mike,

All I'm allowed to say is that Timeless is NOT going to disappoint us this year when it comes to b/w material. Many neat things are on the horizon. They may not have the instance name recognition that the CBS shows do, but they'll be fun releases nonetheless.

Gary "very excited about what Timeless has on tap next" O.

I hope not thiers about a season and a half of the untouchables and I would like twelve o'clock high I would like to see get released

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Wish my wish list was that small. It's frusturating when there's probably over 100 seasons worth of unreleased black & white material if I added it all together that I'd buy without hesitation.
Just the William Bendix seasons of Life of Riley alone account for 6 seasons so I doubt I'm exagerrating if I were to start looking up season totals and start adding things up.

S

silverking

I think this year will be 'make or break' for older black & white series. Sadly it looks more 'break' than 'make' at present. I'm sure Timeless will have a few items to lift the spirits later this year but it seems CBS are calling time on their monochrome material.
I know several people expect Warners to escalate their MOD programme to include their old detective/western series but I just can't see it happening.
The target audience for old series is decreasing as each year passes & old series eventually will have the marketability of silent films.
Now I understand that there are all kinds of reasons for companies not releasing their archive material. The bottom line though is surely ,'is it worth the investment & what will the profit be ? '
An astute business should be keen to maximise all its assets. In the case of old black & white TV series the alternative is to let them rot away in the vaults as for sure they are never going to play on TV again. I think maybe Universal/Revue realised this which is why they did a deal with Timeless. Judging by the amount of material Timeless has released would indicate that it has paid off.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There seem to be a lot of 1950s series that were popular in their day but never did much in syndication. I started watching tv in the early 1970s, and I never remember seeing anything like Life of Reilly. Some series were rescued in the 1980s by TBS and CBN/Family Channel like Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet, Hazel, Mr. Ed, Dobbie Gillis, Make Room For Daddy, Burns and Allen, and Donna Reed. In terms of westerns, Gunsmoke lasted into the 1970s, Bonanza and other 1960s color era westerns did well in syndication, and Maverick had a syndication revival in the 1970s thanks to the success of The Rockford Files. Although some of those shows have had varying performances on DVD, there are a lot of other shows that I bet even classic tv fans like myself have never seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks