What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (4 Viewers)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR
It wasn't shot in Death Valley but A Hundred Yards Over The Rim is another TZ episode that has a great look thanks to clearly being out on location rather than a set or backlot.
I'll have to re-watch that one because I haven't seen it in ages. I own the complete series on dvd and am now just digging into it. According to the TZ book, A Hundred Yards was filmed in the desert near Lone Pine, Ca.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'd buy Peoples Choice for sure, also Bacherlor Father, Pete And Gladys and probably most of the others you mention. I'd love to see My Little Margie . Life of Riley, December Bride, Gray Ghost, Casey Jones, Oh Susanna, and quite a few others. But......

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouA
Gray Ghost, Casey Jones......

I had high hopes for both of these last year, but things may have gotten mucked up with poor source prints and such. Anyhow, hopefully both of these series will see the light of day at some point in the future. The Gray Ghost in particular is a series I'd really like to see on dvd.
Gary "I have a pretty good feeling more good news, release wise, is just around the corner" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Saw an old ZIV syndicated property the other day, Miami Undercover, looked like it might be fun.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Truthfully, this recent spate of new B/W titles I'm more apt to pass on at least for a long while because I personally feel a bit tapped out as far as sampling westerns I'd never seen before goes. There's only so much you can go further with once your collection is up to giant sized proportions so that's why I'm not going to get Stoney Burke unless I got it as a freebie discount of some kind. Dobie Gillis I wasn't too impressed by when I saw it on Nick so that too is a pass. But I am very happy that those who waited for these titles with considerable patience for many years are having their faith rewarded and I am glad they have them to add to their choices of what they want to watch. At this point, the supposed Shout release of Jack Benny material this year and Warner Archive's likely release of "Dr. Kildare" are the only probable new B/W purchases for me this year with S2 of "Maverick" also a definite and I do plan to finish "Perry Mason" (but not at the current price S8 V2 is listed at!) and if we get that last season of "Have Gun Will Travel" it too is a definite. The new release of "Naked City" for its nine new episodes to DVD I should also get as well. Someone, anyone, please though get me S2 of "Burke's Law" and that will be the best possible B/W news I could ever hear!!! (along with quality print releases of "Sheena" which I know is wishful thiking galore).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Found that I had some bonus points to burn on Amazon so I pre-ordered the "Naked City" 20 episode set with 9 new episodes to DVD. $11 instead of $19 for nine new episodes is a better price from my perspective! It's too bad this show can't get the proper treatment on DVD in chronological sequence with all seasons, but what the heck, having collectively 60% of the entire run (two-thirds if we count just the hour long version as it's two episodes of the half hour version that will be new to DVD as well) is better than some other titles! (and 67 episodes give us more than some complete series out on DVD too!)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The announcement for more Gunsmoke and the completion of Have Gun, Will Travel were expected (via my crystal ball), but still very welcomed news. I'll break my decision to not even mention hints anymore just this once and tell everyone to be on the lookout for another classic b/w western getting a couple more releases before the year is out. Once that happens, in combination with what we already know is coming, there will be very little left that CBS could tempt me with after the end of this calendar year since many shows close to my heart will be winding up. They could, of course, offer more season sets of Sgt Bilko or something like The Millionaire but I'm not holding my breath (especially for the latter). They never officially addressed the music subs in My Three Sons and I have no interest in buying that series after the way they released the first 2 seasons. And I don't anticipate that changing, but I guess anything is possible. So overall this should be a fine year for b/w material coming from CBS/P.
If was really pressed to narrow my current b/w want list down to the absolute essentials only, I'd be left with season sets of Ozzie & Harriet and at least Season One of Kildare and that would be it. Everything else that I really, really, really want badly I have either from studio releases or alternate sources. Sure, there are many things I'd still like to see. And I'd undoubtedly cave and buy sets of many, many unreleased b/w series that have not had proper representation. But I've got so much on my shelf right now that nothing else, other than the two aforementioned series, would be necessary for me to feel like I've got a perfect classic library of all my absolute favorites.
Gary "happy collecting, everybody" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary OS said:
The announcement for more Gunsmoke and the completion of Have Gun, Will Travel were expected (via my crystal ball), but still very welcomed news.  I'll break my decision to not even mention hints anymore just this once and tell everyone to be on the lookout for another classic b/w western getting a couple more releases before the year is out.  Once that happens, in combination with what we already know is coming, there will be very little left that CBS could tempt me with after the end of this calendar year since many shows close to my heart will be winding up.  They could, of course, offer more season sets of Sgt Bilko or something like The Millionaire but I'm not holding my breath (especially for the latter).  They never officially addressed the music subs in My Three Sons and I have no interest in buying that series after the way they released the first 2 seasons.  And I don't anticipate that changing, but I guess anything is possible.  So overall this should be a fine year for b/w material coming from CBS/P.  If was really pressed to narrow my current b/w want list down to the absolute essentials only, I'd be left with season sets of Ozzie & Harriet and at least Season One of Kildare and that would be it.  Everything else that I really, really, really want badly I have either from studio releases or alternate sources.  Sure, there are many things I'd still like to see.  And I'd undoubtedly cave and buy sets of many, many unreleased b/w series that have not had proper representation.  But I've got so much on my shelf right now that nothing else, other than the two aforementioned series, would be necessary for me to feel like I've got a perfect classic library of all my absolute favorites. Gary "happy collecting, everybody" O.
Wish I could control myself like you Gary, but I don't see any end on my horizon. Stoney Burke, West Point, The Restless Gun, Wyatt Earp Season 2, Dr. Kildare, Tombstone Territory, Dobie Gillis, Naked City (best of), and more that I can't think of right now are all sure pickups for me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Lest I be misunderstood with my previous post, let me be clear that I was only talking about b/w shows since that's what this thread is all about. There are certainly a few things CBS/P could tempt me with on the color side - Barnaby Jones or more season sets of Petticoat Junction both being very high on the list as just a couple of examples. But in terms of b/w shows from that studio in particular, I just can't think of anything that I'll still be dying for after the end of 2013 (with the caveat about My Three Sons).
Gary "I think I'm finally winding down my purchasing aspect of this hobby" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Gary OS said:
The announcement for more Gunsmoke and the completion of Have Gun, Will Travel were expected (via my crystal ball), but still very welcomed news.  I'll break my decision to not even mention hints anymore just this once and tell everyone to be on the lookout for another classic b/w western getting a couple more releases before the year is out.  Gary "happy collecting, everybody" O.
Hoping that's Rawhide :tu:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard V
Wish I could control myself like you Gary, but I don't see any end on my horizon. Stoney Burke, West Point, The Restless Gun, Wyatt Earp Season 2, Dr. Kildare, Tombstone Territory, Dobie Gillis, Naked City (best of), and more that I can't think of right now are all sure pickups for me.

Oh, don't get me wrong Richard. I was only speaking of upcoming CBS b/w releases. Everything you mentioned is on my radar, with the majority being sure things.
Having said all that, I am definitely slowing down my purchases. I've just got too much on the shelf as it is.
Gary "no doubt that Timeless will continue to release neat stuff that I'll be very interested in - at least as long as they don't get merged into oblivion with parent company Shout now in control" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Another addition we can officially add now: The Gene Autry Show S5, which finishes this series out. Good stuff!
Gary "keep 'em coming, Timeless" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Highway Patrol" is now unstalled and finished all at once. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Highway-Patrol-Seasons-2-and-3-and-4/18070

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Jack P said:
"Highway Patrol" is now unstalled and finished all at once. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Highway-Patrol-Seasons-2-and-3-and-4/18070
Unfortunately You can get seasons 2. 3 and 4 for around R$25.00, but Season 1 sets you back over twise as much as the other seasons! :eek::f Never the less, I'll keep an eye on the prices, and when the price is right, I will purchase all four seasons of this show, along with Sea Hunt and Bat Masterson, and introduce the "Alternates" I have of these series I have obtained to "My Little Friend", Mr. B. F. Hammerr! :laugh:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Another addition we can officially add now: The Gene Autry Show S5, which finishes this series out. Good stuff!
Gary "keep 'em coming, Timeless" O.
Good news to see Gene's show now completed.
Originally Posted by Jack P
"Highway Patrol" is now unstalled and finished all at once.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Highway-Patrol-Seasons-2-and-3-and-4/18070
This came from out of the blue and it is great news. The first season was really good and I hope we get the same quality as that. I appreciate getting all of the remaining seasons at once.
We still have the third season of Bat Masterson unreleased, so I hope we hear an announcement on that soon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisALM
This came from out of the blue and it is great news.

Absolutely agree on both counts. A great show for sure! The only downer for me, and I admit I'm leaving b/w TV for a moment to say it, is that TGG is apparently skipping seasons 2 - 7 of In the Heat of the Night just to release the uninspiring "Final Season" which was actually only a few made-for-TV movies that really were tired and old by that point in the show's run. I hope they can actually release the other season sets.
Gary "nice to see another smaller company get in on the fun" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
ChrisALM said:
Good news to see Gene's show now completed. This came from out of the blue and it is great news. The first season was really good and I hope we get the same quality as that. I appreciate getting all of the remaining seasons at once. We still have the third season of Bat Masterson unreleased, so I hope we hear an announcement on that soon.
I'm wondering what the deal with Season 3 of Bat Masterson is. Its odd they did all of Sea Hunt and The 1st 2 seasons of Bat at the same time but not Season 3. Makes me think there is some sort of problem with Season 3. Hopefully not as I'm really enjoying the show and the quality is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks