1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Well said, Silverking (Chris). I so wish there was some really strong indicator that your inclinations about 2015 were wrong, but we both know otherwise. Unless something very unexpected transpires shortly - like the start up of a brand new company committed to releasing vintage TV on DVD - I'm afraid we will have to be content with meager crumbs going forward.

Gary "it was a great ride while it lasted though, and I've got a lot I can watch from now till the day I die" O.

2. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

In my household, every first run broadcast was in black-and-white until 1978--when I bought my first color TV! (My parents didn't have a color TV until I got a new one in the mid-1980s and gave my 1978 one to them.)

Still, since baby boomers are the ones who are buying most of the DVDs and other physical media these days, maybe we are the target audience for these companies.

It's too bad there aren't a few baby boomer hedge fund billionaires who happen to be fans of old TV shows who can start up a company and start licensing TV shows by the dozens from the networks and studios and give them proper distribution. Sadly, the type of people who become hedge fund billionaires are not the ones--like us--who were glued to the set when they were kids. They wouldn't know "Maverick" from "Mork and Mindy."

If I were a billionaire, I doubt I'd even care about old movies and TV shows, but if I were the person I am now and came into a billion I'd want to finance the restoration and distribution to the world of so many old movies and TV shows (and musical recordings) that I'd be busy until I died. I would simply buy up the rights to tons of things at exorbitant offer-that-can't-be-refused prices and make them available regardless of whether there was a sufficient market for them or not. Would I run out of the billion before I died? Depends on how many films and TV shows you can buy up the rights to in the time I have left. But in real life, when actual billionaires collect things, it's usually one-of-a-kind art objects that no one else can have. I mean, when Steven Spielberg was in contact with Orson Welles, he made no offer to finance any of his film projects or finish the filming of THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND. Instead he used his money to buy the sled from CITIZEN KANE and pestered Welles with questions as to how he got such and such a shot. Tarantino, at least, who is no billionaire like Spielberg, has actively worked to restore and distribute films to audiences.

Oh, well...

3. Silverking

Silverking Well-Known Member

Chris Street
    Vic -I look forward to you becoming a hedge fund billionaire !!!

Gary OS likes this.
  4. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    I think many of us have fantasized about coming into lots of money and financing the release of our favorite "forgotten" Television Shows and Movies. I'd release Peoples Choice , Ray Milland Show, Charlie Farrell Show, among many others lost forgotten items .

5. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I'd finance a box set of failed 60s sitcoms starring movie personalities familiar to baby boomers: Glynis Johns' "Glynis", "The Jean Arthur Show", "The Cara Williams Show", Juliet Prowse's "Mona McCluskey, "He and She" with Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss.

And once-popular sitcoms that mysteriously vanished like "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", "December Bride", "Our Miss Brooks", "Oh Susanna", "Love that Bob"

Matt Hough likes this.
  6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

Lots of I wishes and ifs here. Okay, well you can't just conjure up a fortune but instead of just posting things to people here that are all in the same boat, how about actually trying to do something about it? There's plenty of rich folks around. Why don't you try writing to Warren Buffet or Mark Cuban or any of these other well-known mega-rich philanthropists and make your case as to why they should do what you are proposing? Hey, Spielberg directed some of those crappy failed early 70s Universal shows, like The Psychiatrist. Why don't you write to him suggesting he initiate a box set of his early TV directing work. That's just one example. Anyway, not saying that something like that would work but it certainly would have more of a chance than just dreaming about it here.

7. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    I'd buy all of those. As it stands there's a small chance that Our Miss Brooks could get a release via a "non-fantasy " outlet. The others don't seem to have much of a chance. Funny how shows that were so popular back in the day are largely forgotten now . I mean, Gale Storm , Bob Cummings and Spring Byington were household words back then but are barely remembered these day except by people like us . I hope you get your billion and move ahead with your plan !!

Ron1973 likes this.
  8. Gary OS

Gary
    Thanks for the pep talk, Neil. I'll get right on that suggestion of yours. Let me just find Mark Cuban's number here on my cell phone... :rolleyes:

Gary "which billionaire should I contact to get Waterfront and Doctor Christian released?" O.

Silverking and Ron1973 like this.
  9. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Welcome back! Haven't seen your posts for a while.

11. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Well-Known Member

Scott
    Okay, sorry, but you're calling someone out for making sarcastic comments? While I admire your extensive knowledge of TV shows, I feel that most of the comments you make here are sarcastic and/or condescending, including your so-called helpful suggestion.

12. Gary OS

Gary
    Personally, I think the chances are probably better that one of us HTF b/w enthusiasts will hit the lottery or win a sweepstakes so as to fund our own dreams rather than us calling up a billionaire and convincing him/her to acquire and release an obscure 50's TV series. But whatever.

Gary " :D " O.

13. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    And unfortunately the chances of one us B&W enthusiasts getting a billion are probably only a little smaller than some of these shows getting releases.

Silverking, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  14. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Well-Known Member

James Beer
    If you're looking for an obscure 50s series, go to the Me-TV website, for they'll have "Code 3", a crime-drama anthology, in pristine quality prints!

15. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    Good news guys. I was hanging with Warren Buffet for an early breakfast this AM and he told me to just make a list of shows I wanted and I would have them on official releases by the end of business Thursday. He elaborated that he he appreciated my efforts to give him an investment opportunity as he almost NEVER hears from anyone wanting him to back them. Who would have thought he was such a fan of T.H.E. Cat. Just a little fun this morn.

Ron1973 and ScottDombrowski like this.
  16. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
  18. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
  19. Gary OS

Gary
    Yes. That's why it was so discouraging to many of us when we heard about the Shout takeover. We knew what that would eventually mean for Timeless. And our fears have pretty much been confirmed as we've seen fewer and fewer of the type of releases he personally oversaw because he was a fan of old westerns.

Gary "that's definitely been a sad development" O.

20. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

I'm fortunately one person who thinks my horizons have been sufficiently broadened in westerns. When the last season of "Big Valley" comes out that's likely to be the last one I'll ever want to purchase (unless Warners gives us "The Alaskans" since I'd like to see more of Roger Moore's work in his US contract player days).Even though I only have a handful of B/W grail titles left, I'm more than willing to sample other titles that are from genres other than westerns if they were released. I'm still keeping a close eye on what Warner will do in the future and I think by the end of next year we'll have seen more movement in that area.