What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
bretmaverick2 said:
One more note: The season 5 set it not "mainly Jack Kelly spisodes". It is ALL Jack Kelly episodes.

Season 5 was the season that both Beau and Brent were gone. The only new episodes featured Bart. In between the new episodes, there were reruns of either Bret or Bret/Bart episodes.

I think there were a couple of Brent episodes in season 5. I am not where I can look at my Encore Westerns set right now. Beau is gone for season 5 though.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, there are no Brent episodes in Season 5. It's new Bart episodes only that alternated with repeats of Bret and Bret/Bart (though they never had Bart refer to brother Bret in his new ones).

Beau departed even before S4 was over. Roger Moore just felt the show was no longer worth doing based on the script quality. While there is a publicity photo of Bart, Beau and Brent together they never appeared together in an episode.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Ron1973 said:
And this is why I appreciate having Gary here. He consistently gives recommendations of shows to look for! I've talked about it before but not a lot of b/w shows were in syndication here (Beaver, Twilight Zone, Perry Mason and then a lot of shows that started in b/w but switched over to color) so it's nice to see recommendations.
Since I recommended those two shows first, Ron, and Gary was just adding his stamp of approval to my recommendations , you're welcome. ;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Professor Echo said:
Since I recommended those two shows first, Ron, and Gary was just adding his stamp of approval to my recommendations , you're welcome. ;)
Yes, indeed. Glen came up with a great idea and all I did was concur with it. He's the one that gets the credit for that. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Gary "I'll see if I can make some recommendations later" O.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
LouA said:
Season 5 of Maverick ( mainly Jack Kelly episodes ) has been announced for release by WB. I'm not sure if this will be MOD or pressed discs .
The initial run will almost certainly be pressed discs if you order directly from the WB Shop.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
With Encore Westerns I've had a chance to catch up on a few series that were briefly syndicated and they've did a lot for the Western genre in b&w. I used to think I was partial to the color Gunsmoke episodes but after watching the b&w versions again on Encore, I think those episodes are a little "tighter" and better written. I still like Festus, though!

We didn't have satellite when the Nick at Nite craze for old shows hit. I remember going with my parents to Nashville and watching Nick at Nite for the first time in the motel room and hearing my parents talk about how they'd watched those shows as kids.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
MOD does not mean DVD-R
bretmaverick2 said:
WB's own site says that the discs are MOD. But others have posted that the same was said of season 4, but the sets received were actually pressed. So I guess we won't know til they arrive.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Randy Korstick said:
MOD does not mean DVD-R
Technically, yes. BUT here's the FAQ from Warners on the subject:
Q: What makes an on-demand DVD different than a Commercial DVD?
A: DVDs produced on-demand are similar to, but not quite same as, DVDs you'd buy at the local video store. DVD movies you buy at the local video outlet are manufactured from a mold via a stamping process whereas on-demand DVDs are "burned". Each carries information read by the DVD player, but the physical properties of the two are different.
Most DVD players are compatible with both commercial DVD-Video and one or more of the "recordable DVD formats. Our on-demand DVDs are manufactured using the most widely accepted format, DVD-R.
The owner's manual of the DVD player usually lists which DVD recording formats it can play. Almost all DVD players can play DVD-R (except for some older models made before 2000).
So as far as Warners is concerned MOD = DVD-R.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Randy Korstick said:
They need to update that since that has been there before they started doing pressed discs so the definition has changed.
Personally, I think it's better to keep the definition as is since that is how most understand it and what makes the most sense. Instead, just add a clarification to all items that will have a limited "pressed" disk release. I've seen this clarification on some titles already, they just need to add it to all. As well as adding it to the FAQ that the WB archive consists of MOD titles on "burned" disks with some releases receiving a limited run of "pressed disks" early on to support consumer demand. No reason to change the definition, just describe the changes in the WB Archive approach.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Jack P said:
No, there are no Brent episodes in Season 5. It's new Bart episodes only that alternated with repeats of Bret and Bret/Bart (though they never had Bart refer to brother Bret in his new ones).

Beau departed even before S4 was over. Roger Moore just felt the show was no longer worth doing based on the script quality. While there is a publicity photo of Bart, Beau and Brent together they never appeared together in an episode.

I stand corrected. For some reason, I had it in my mind that the change occurred between Season 4 and 5.
Thanks Jack P. :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Randy Korstick said:
They need to update that since that has been there before they started doing pressed discs so the definition has changed.
They could remove all confusion by including the information when they first put a new title on the Warner Archive site.

When Maverick Season Four was first listed there was no mention of it being pressed discs. However, the listing now says "Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand."

I haven't done a thorough check, but it appears to me that all TV shows which have been released recently by Warner Archive have had their initial runs as pressed discs:

Medical Center
Eight is Enough
Search
Maverick
The FBI
Dr. Kildare
The Adventures of Superboy
Space Stars
Sugarfoot
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Alice
Nichols
Falcon Crest
Night Court
Captain Caveman
Time Trax
Tarzan
Cheyenne
Harry O
The Lieutenant
Flo
Daktari
Without a Trace

Has there been a recent Warner Archive TV set which did not debut with pressed discs?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Richard Gallagher said:
They could remove all confusion by including the information when they first put a new title on the Warner Archive site.

When Maverick Season Four was first listed there was no mention of it being pressed discs. However, the listing now says "Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand."

I haven't done a thorough check, but it appears to me that all TV shows which have been released recently by Warner Archive have had their initial runs as pressed discs:

Medical Center
Eight is Enough
Search
Maverick
The FBI
Dr. Kildare
The Adventures of Superboy
Space Stars
Sugarfoot
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Alice
Nichols
Falcon Crest
Night Court
Captain Caveman
Time Trax
Tarzan
Cheyenne
Harry O
The Lieutenant
Flo
Daktari
Without a Trace

Has there been a recent Warner Archive TV set which did not debut with pressed discs?
But not all seasons of these shows are pressed discs. Tarzan Season one is MOD for example.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The first couple seasons of "The FBI" did not have any pressed discs. That was at the beginning of the program. Nor do I think did "The Girl From UNCLE".

It's always made no difference to me, frankly.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Every DVD on the Warner Archive site is listed as a MOD so that doesn't have any meaning anymore in determining if its pressed or not. As I mentioned MOD no longer = DVD-R. If its important for someone to get pressed discs then its best to wait until they show up in the replicated discs section as that is the only separating area on their site. Or wait until someone who purchased it confirms. Since last summer it is now safe to assume all TV shows are pressed. The only possible exceptions would be a rare one season show but even all of those recent releases have been pressed.
LouA said:
But not all seasons of these shows are pressed discs. Tarzan Season one is MOD for example.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Randy Korstick said:
Every DVD on the Warner Archive site is listed as a MOD so that doesn't have any meaning anymore in determining if its pressed or not. As I mentioned MOD no longer = DVD-R. If its important for someone to get pressed discs then its best to wait until they show up in the replicated discs section as that is the only separating area on their site. Or wait until someone who purchased it confirms. Since last summer it is now safe to assume all TV shows are pressed. The only possible exceptions would be a rare one season show but even all of those recent releases have been pressed.
Your interpretation is that the FAQ ia no longer valid and that MOD = DVD-R or Pressed disk because all titles are MOD and some have limited runs of "pressed" disks. So in that case, WB Archive = MOD. But WB has never, from what t've seen, made that as a clear distinction.

I interpret it differently in that MOD = DVD-R, and that the FAQ is correct. I just think that the WB Archive has adjusted there production approach based on the title and its perceived consumer interest. The two approaches currently appear to be MOD only or MOD and pressed disks dependent on availability.

It is all semantics, both could fit, but the reasons I go with this interpretation are:

- Over the years MOD has become synomomous with DVD-R. WB is not the only one using this designation now so it has become more of an industry term and shouldn't be changed by a single organization.

- WB states that MOD = DVD-R in their own FAQ and if they don't see a reason to change it, so why should we assume anything has changed with regards to the definition.

- The WB Archive could very likely make other adjustments to their approach over time, but they will always be defined by the WB archive. Why should any change they make alter a definition that has grown beyond the WB Archive. WB Archive = MOD or MOD and Pressed, MOD = DVD-R

- WB has been adding extra verbiage to releases that contain limited "pressed" disks runs. This can just as easily be their way of referencing a departure from the MOD only approach for that release then saying it is inclusive to what MOD represents.

The only real confusion I see in all this is that WB doesn't appear to consistently add the extra content about "pressed" disks to a title until after it has been released. Once released, it seems to be included. Maybe, this is nothing more than waiting until they know for sure the "pressed" disks will be available in time for the release date.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Maybe we'll see the completion of these three B&W TV shows this year:- Steve Canyon (volume 3 - the last episodes of this one season TV show)- I'm Dickens, he's Fenster (second (of 2)volume of this one season sitcom)- My Living Doll (second (of 2) volume of this one season sitcom)... And maybe Warners can release one of their four detective series of the late 50's early 60's.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
maskedmala said:
Maybe we'll see the completion of these three B&W TV shows this year:- Steve Canyon (volume 3 - the last episodes of this one season TV show)- I'm Dickens, he's Fenster (second (of 2)volume of this one season sitcom)- My Living Doll (second (of 2) volume of this one season sitcom)... And maybe Warners can release one of their four detective series of the late 50's early 60's.
You know, it's been so long since the last release of Steve Canyon that I honestly forgot about it. I pre-ordered way back when and just keep waiting patiently. Hopefully John can clear the final hurdles and get this release done.

Gary "the first 2 sets were wonderful, and I'm sure the final volume will be too" O.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
John Ellis' last Steve Canyon DVD update was February 13, 2014 and he expected to start shipping by the end of the month (February). He has been promising to ship volume 3 for almost four years now, missing shipping estimates right and left. I am an easy-going guy but he should just stop making these estimates. It makes him look rather foolish, really. I have the first two volumes as well and the third ordered, but I totally disregard his estimates anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks