What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (8 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary OS said:
After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away. I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here. I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement. Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post. It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O. :)
In the future, use the report function which will alert the HTF Administrative Staff to investigate and moderate the situation. I'm happy you returned.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Not specifically on topic, but at least on the subject of black and white releases, if anyone is still on the fence about the Complete Series of the 1950's MIKE HAMMER, jump off and buy it now before it goes OOP! I just finished watching the entire series and it was excellent on all levels. I will qualify my recommendation just to add that it's very graphic in terms of violence (and occasionally sex) by the standards of the era when it was produced, so those sensitive to such things may not enjoy the series, but for everyone else, it truly is a superb show. Just starting to watch TOMBSTONE TERRITORY now and while the first episode was weak, the immediate follow ups have been great. It's very gritty and realistic, even having characters wearing clothes that don't look like they just came off the rack, a particular pet peeve of mine with old westerns. ZIV can do no wrong in my book, even their lesser series like MEN INTO SPACE are still quality affairs. TOMBSTONE looks like it's going to be another great one from their library. So even though this is not a review thread per se, it might be a welcome change of pace to hear some vintage B&W show on DVD recommendations while they are still at relatively affordable prices.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Regulus said:
Half the fun of this hobby is anticipating what may be released next. every year since I began this hobby there's always been AT LEAST one TV Series (Including "Grail Series") the naysayers keep saying "This show will NEVER released of "Issues" such as Music, "PC" Problems, Multiple ownership and such, then lo and behold that series is coming out on DVD! This year Three such shows are about to be released on DVD later this year, Batman, The Wonder Years and Death Valley Days. (Yes I Know, the first two aren't in Black and White, but examples were needed, so I used them. So sit back, take a chill pill and hang loose, there's always something around the corner waiting for us to discover.
Maybe, there is hope for a sitcom that has long been in the shadows of the way more popular "Leave It To Beaver', its "Bachelor Father", starring John Forsythe! It's something Time-Life might do, a complete series, just resolve clearance issues concerning some 37 out of 157 episodes, and throw in the pilot "A New Girl in His Life' from "GE Theater" and we'll have BF to watch on DVDs instead of watching it in the early morning hours on Antenna TV!

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
' The David Niven Show' - don't know much about this one, think it is an anthology show with Niven doing the introductions. Made by Four Star. UK release coming from Renown shortly.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Silverking said:
' The David Niven Show' - don't know much about this one, think it is an anthology show with Niven doing the introductions. Made by Four Star. UK release coming from Renown shortly.
Maybe Renown will also consider "The DuPont Show w/June Allyson and "The Dick Powell Show", Dick's swan song before his death midway through S2 and guest hosts doing the intros for the remainder of that season.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Professor Echo said:
Not specifically on topic, but at least on the subject of black and white releases, if anyone is still on the fence about the Complete Series of the 1950's MIKE HAMMER, jump off and buy it now before it goes OOP! I just finished watching the entire series and it was excellent on all levels. I will qualify my recommendation just to add that it's very graphic in terms of violence (and occasionally sex) by the standards of the era when it was produced, so those sensitive to such things may not enjoy the series, but for everyone else, it truly is a superb show.
Yeah... rub salt in the wound!!! I missed the BF sale on this series at Amazon last year and then missed a even better price during a Lightning Deal. I was totally bummed about missing the LD as I really wanted a copy of this title! Being a A&E title I still have hope for a pretty low price (at least matching the BF price) before it goes OOP...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Renown will also consider "The DuPont Show w/June Allyson and "The Dick Powell Show", Dick's swan song before his death midway through S2 and guest hosts doing the intros for the remainder of that season.
The Dick Powell Show is a great series. One of the better anthologies from the 60s for sure.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I'm still hopeful that those late 50s, early 60s p.I. shows like 77 Sunset Strip will turn up in Warner Archives.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its just a matter of time and patience. They are well aware of the demand especially for the big two: 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. They cleared music rights on two of their Westerns so far but these have more to clear so they will take longer. I still have a strong feeling we will see at least season one of 77 sunset strip later this year.
davidHartzog said:
I'm still hopeful that those late 50s, early 60s p.I. shows like 77 Sunset Strip will turn up in Warner Archives.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
BobO'Link said:
Yeah... rub salt in the wound!!! I missed the BF sale on this series at Amazon last year and then missed a even better price during a Lightning Deal. I was totally bummed about missing the LD as I really wanted a copy of this title! Being a A&E title I still have hope for a pretty low price (at least matching the BF price) before it goes OOP...
I hope you find a good deal for it, Bob. I picked mine up at Costco a couple of years ago for, I think, $25. That was quite a bargain considering how much I loved the series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The "Zane Grey Theater" S2 announcement I had a mixed reaction to because honestly I never would have figured that to get a second season before we got S2 of "Burke's Law". I have to keep hoping that Timeless will see the value of finishing that series and if they do, my B/W essentials are done.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary OS said:
After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away. I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here. I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement. Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post. It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O. :)

Gary, thanks for your kind support and it's good to see you back as well!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Neil Brock said:
It's not. Not even close.
That's what I thought, but I didn't want to state so emphatically without having inside info. Too bad. Hopefully it will eventually see a release.

Gary "I agree with Glen that both Mike Hammer and Tombstone Territory are well worth picking up" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
BTW, is it just my imagination or have we been getting more re-releases of b/w shows rather than new releases as of late? Sure seems that way to me.

Gary "I'm glad for 'economy' re-releases for those that don't have certain shows yet - makes me wish I had waited on a few things" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
And this is why I appreciate having Gary here. He consistently gives recommendations of shows to look for! I've talked about it before but not a lot of b/w shows were in syndication here (Beaver, Twilight Zone, Perry Mason and then a lot of shows that started in b/w but switched over to color) so it's nice to see recommendations.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gary OS said:
BTW, is it just my imagination or have we been getting more re-releases of b/w shows rather than new releases as of late? Sure seems that way to me.

Gary "I'm glad for 'economy' re-releases for those that don't have certain shows yet - makes me wish I had waited on a few things" O.
It's not your imagination 'cause I'm seeing this too and *almost* every time lament that it could have been something that's never seen a release instead.

I've pretty much gotten over the "wishing I'd waited" syndrom as it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what goes OOP. After seeing what I thought would be big selling series go quickly OOP I finally decided I just need to buy what I want just as soon as I see a price I can live with and not wait for "great" bargain prices. Sure, I've purchased many titles that are still in print and that I could have gotten cheaper had I waited (example: Dobie Gillis - I paid $85 and could have paid only $65 had I waited a few months) but for every one of those I have titles I've picked up that have gone OOP shortly after I made the purchase (early seasons of The Donna Reed Show is one of those).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Season 5 of Maverick ( mainly Jack Kelly episodes ) has been announced for release by WB. I'm not sure if this will be MOD or pressed discs .

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
WB's own site says that the discs are MOD. But others have posted that the same was said of season 4, but the sets received were actually pressed. So I guess we won't know til they arrive.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
One more note: The season 5 set it not "mainly Jack Kelly spisodes". It is ALL Jack Kelly episodes.

Season 5 was the season that both Beau and Brent were gone. The only new episodes featured Bart. In between the new episodes, there were reruns of either Bret or Bret/Bart episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks