1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Needless to say some posts have been deleted and further disciplinary action is being considered towards a couple of members. Let's stop the bickering along with the personal attacks! Show some respect towards each other. It's really a sad commentary that members feel they have to leave a thread and that moderating action needs to take place over this particular subject matter.

Professor Echo, Jack K and Ron1973 like this.
  2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'll put in my thoughts that Gary should stay as well!

3. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    This thread is one of the most interesting threads on the forum thanks to the knowledge and love of the medium shown by the likes of Gary. He would be sorely missed by me and countless others, I'm sure. I don't post much here only because I really don't feel the need. Even though I grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s, you guys know more about classic TV than I ever did, so I just read and learn.

4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Yeah, exactly how I think. I wasn't around to catch the "good ole days" in their original format, especially the 50's and 60's stuff and had to catch them in re-runs as a kid in the 70's and 80's. Gary's knowledge about this stuff absolutely is enough to blow one away!

5. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Well-Known Member

Mark
    I have never posted here but read it often. I took a quick look today and read that another one of those attacks has taken place and on my good friend Gary.I am glad I missed all that was posted. I always refuse to read negative attacks on a HTF Members posts. The whole thing revolts me. I wait return to thread or in some cases not return to it at all. I am glad at least here at HTF the posts are deleted as soon as possible.

6. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Well-Known Member

Chris
    I hope Gary will reconsider and return to this thread.
    I always enjoy reading his posts, they are insightful and provide information that I often do not receive anywhere else.

Vahan_Nisanain and Ron1973 like this.
  7. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Sometimes I disagree with you, but I don't have any trouble with your posts or those of any other long time member. Sometimes we get someone who only wants to make negative comments, but they never seem to stay for long.

8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Zane-Grey-Theater-Season-2/19686. Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.

Ron1973 and Lee Smith like this.
  9. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    I agree - the thread simply would'nt be the same without him .

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Excellant news! Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be more releases in the future, if not from Timeless, than from VCI ,Schanachie, TGG, Warner Archives , or Mill Creek .

What I'm hoping for now, is a Small company to specialize in some of the older sitcoms that lasted for years (My Little Margie , December Bride , Our Miss Brooks , Burns And Allen , People's Choice, Love That Bob etc ). These small companies don't have thier own films and shows so they need to license them , like Olive films has done with vintage movies. It may never happen , but I'm always hopeful.

11. ChrisALM

Chris
    This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?

12. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Well-Known Member

James Beer
    It is an episode titled "The Sharpshooter", starring Chuck Connors which was a pilot for "The Rifleman" series, and Four Star had its half-ownership in that series bought out by Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions some 40 years ago. You can find it in its original ZGT version in the Rifleman S1 DVD set, directly from LGL.

Mike*HTF likes this.
  13. ChrisALM

Chris
    Thanks, oldtvshowbuff, at least there is a way to get the episode. I will eventually be getting the Rifleman Season 1 set.

14. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away. I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here. I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement. Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post. It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O. :)

15. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    It's great to have you back, Gary.

Rob "I couldn't imagine this thread without you" Ray

16. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Well-Known Member

Mark
    Welcome Home Gary!

I a very glad you changed your mind. I always try to look for some good that might come out of a bad experience.

People now see that HTF as Robert stated has rules. This time consequences may and I say may have come with certain members bad behavior.

I hope that this may be the start of a new day. Members respecting each others opinion's on all threads. 99% of us members do. Now perhaps that 1% will begin to change to 100%.

17. ChrisALM

Chris
    Welcome back, Gary!
    This thread has been a great place for discussing B/W television shows.
    You belong here.

Gary OS likes this.
  18. ChrisALM

Chris
    Your post has brought me to thinking about my collection and how much B/W television material I have - and I really don't know the answer to that.
    Guess I'll have to get to work and figure it out.
    And a big thanks to Timeless for what I do have.

Gary OS likes this.
  19. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    Glad you decided to return, Gary! Now before the brass band plays again, quickly check out my separate thread about an underhanded move from the Warner Archive. It's not about a black and white show, but it speaks volumes about trusting the Warner Archive too much.

Gary OS likes this.
  20. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Thanks for all the welcome backs. You guys are the best! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Gary "not leaving this thread again" O.

EdG, LeoA, Steve...O and 9 others like this.