What's new

Is SACD worth it? (1 Viewer)

John Lloyd

Second Unit
Aside from the layer change (which seemed to be 2-3 seconds), I felt the Sony was fine. I did not do a lot of exchaustive comparisons because I returned it pretty quickly one I decided that the layer change was too long.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I have been buying a lot of Hybrid SACD/CD discs for demo materials, and the difference can be quite dramatic.

However, like every other format, it boils down to two key issues: source and engineering.

My Diana Krall hybrid sounds little better in SACD than in CD. On the other hand, Dark Side of the Moon, and Stan Getz Quartet are astounding.

Buried in the back of my shelf at work, never to see the light of day is the 2000 Sony reissue of a 1963 recording of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. This disc captures a remarkable Direct Stream Digital rendition of more surface hiss than you can shake a stick at. At CDN$30, this disc was a complete waste of money. Sony should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks