1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is plasma still on par with the current LED's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Henry Hughes, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Active Member

I am in the market for a new tv. I have looked at the Samsung UN60F8000 and I really like it. But i read about the panel lottery and flashlighting and clouding...ugh, it boggles the mind. Lately I have been reading about how plasmas seem to still be viable options. So I have been researching the Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

So my question is are plasmas still a viable option and whats better in the long run the Samsung or the Panny? I will be watching movies, television as well as gaming.

Any answers will be appreciated

2. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Well-Known Member

Keith Cobby
    If picture quality and motion handling is important to you then plasma is the way to go. I recently looked at some LED 4K televisions and the PQ was inferior to my plasma (Panasonic).

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Plasma is (and always has been) superior to LCD in every way except perhaps "weight" and "thinness". You mention gaming, so you should definitely stick with plasma.

It's a damn shame that Panasonic is stopping production - we're losing arguably the best displays out there (that's why I snatched one up in December while they were still readily available).

As is often the case with consumer electronics, the technology "winner" isn't always the superior product. LCD "winning" over plasma is just another example...

The top of the line Samsung displays have many glowing reviews, but if you can find a Panasonic that would be my first choice.

Cameron Yee likes this.
  4. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Well-Known Member

G. Alan Brown
    Your thread title has it backwards, as also implied by James' post. LCD TV manufacturers have been trying to equal the image quality of plasmas all along. I consult with video program production professionals regularly, and the world-wide, large format, review and quality control monitors of choice have been plasmas. Get a ZT, VT, or ST series Panasonic if you can still find one.

The dominant popularity of LCDs is due primarily to marketing and consumer naivete. In the famous words of H. L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    CinemaQuest, Inc.
    A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    And it isn't, and never has been, an "LED TV" .It is LED, versus ccfl, backlit LCD.