What's new

Is plasma still on par with the current LED's (1 Viewer)

Henry Hughes

Agent
I am in the market for a new tv. I have looked at the Samsung UN60F8000 and I really like it. But i read about the panel lottery and flashlighting and clouding...ugh, it boggles the mind. Lately I have been reading about how plasmas seem to still be viable options. So I have been researching the Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

So my question is are plasmas still a viable option and whats better in the long run the Samsung or the Panny? I will be watching movies, television as well as gaming.

Any answers will be appreciated

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Plasma is (and always has been) superior to LCD in every way except perhaps "weight" and "thinness". You mention gaming, so you should definitely stick with plasma.

It's a damn shame that Panasonic is stopping production - we're losing arguably the best displays out there (that's why I snatched one up in December while they were still readily available).

As is often the case with consumer electronics, the technology "winner" isn't always the superior product. LCD "winning" over plasma is just another example...

The top of the line Samsung displays have many glowing reviews, but if you can find a Panasonic that would be my first choice.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Henry Hughes said:
I am in the market for a new tv. I have looked at the Samsung UN60F8000 and I really like it. But i read about the panel lottery and flashlighting and clouding...ugh, it boggles the mind. Lately I have been reading about how plasmas seem to still be viable options. So I have been researching the Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

So my question is are plasmas still a viable option and whats better in the long run the Samsung or the Panny? I will be watching movies, television as well as gaming.

Any answers will be appreciated
Your thread title has it backwards, as also implied by James' post. LCD TV manufacturers have been trying to equal the image quality of plasmas all along. I consult with video program production professionals regularly, and the world-wide, large format, review and quality control monitors of choice have been plasmas. Get a ZT, VT, or ST series Panasonic if you can still find one.

The dominant popularity of LCDs is due primarily to marketing and consumer naivete. In the famous words of H. L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks