What's new

Is Plasma a dying technology (1 Viewer)

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I looking at buying a bigger tv, I most likely will go Plasma but i'm wondering if it's a dying technology? At Best buy and other stores they hardly have any plasma's out on their floor. Does this mean they're going away? Should I be waiting until LED's get cheaper? I mostly watch sports and can't stand having any motion blurring. Plasma's seem the best for not having motion blur.

LD9000

Auditioning
Plasma TVs are the best if you don't want motion blur, and they are certainly better for movies as well. I own a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and as far as I know, Panasonic will continue to manufacture Plasmas, as does Samsung, LG and Vizio (I believe). Not sure what your budget or what size you are looking for, but right now they are just about giving away Plasma TVs. You can get a 50" for about $1,000. Invest in a good brand though - there is quite a difference between the brands I've listed. I've just seen Plasmas come out in 65" now, so I don't think the breed is dying.
If I bought another TV right now - it would be another Plasma for sure.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Plasmas are best for avoiding motion blur (and other things too, like deep blacks). I'm really glad I went with plasma for my 42" panasonic. I got the p42g15 for $719 $739 (plus California's "screw you" tax of 9.25%). I don't think they'll go away the way HDDVD did. Unlike HDDVD, which requires support to be effective, the TV uses the same inputs, etc., so they can happily live alongside other technologies, whether it be LCD (CCFL or LED), DLP, OLED, or whatever.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Everything is a dying technology ... as something better and cheaper is always on the horizon to come knock it off. LCD is dying, plasma is dying DLP is dying ...

Thing is ... so what if you buy now ... does it mean that your TV stops working if they decide to pull the plug in 2 years? That applies to all tech out there. You want it for use now.

Will you buy something that performs worse now because the technology might last longer? Well the better stuff that comes in the years to come isn't going to help your current purchase one iota. In all cases, if the TV fails in 2 to 3 years, it is getting to the point where it is no longer worth while to even repair it.

Every TV tech has its +ves and -ves. Pick what fits your viewing habits and viewing environment and budget and go for it.

Imagine if this irrational fear stopped us from buying computers ... strangely enough, it doesn't and we know it will be outdated in 3 months and new software may not work on it 3 years down the road.

regards

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I'm only asking because I don't want to buy a plasma if everthing is going to be LED a year down the road.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Does that mean you will settle for worse performance now because the team you choose might be a winner in a few years? Or will you just sit on the fence and wait and wait?

Your $2000 TV will cost you $1000 to fix in a few years time if it comes to that. The tech that went into that $2000 TV will be available for $1000 by that time and you can spend the $ to fix something and have no warranty after that ... or $1000 for a new tV with full warranty.

Manufacturers tend to keep 5 years worth of parts for repair stuff.

Plasma does some stuff better than LCD ... and Vice Versa ...

Regards

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
No I already have a 50 inch plasma, I'm just considering going up to the 65.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks