1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

is my RX-Z1 done for?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom_Price, May 10, 2004.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Well-Known Member

Earlier today I sat down to watch "elimidate" that I had TiVo'd a couple of nights ago. I press the button to power on my system and things start to power up, but my RX-Z1 comes on for about 5 seconds and then it shuts off. Naturally, I tried it a few more times, but only ended up with the same results.

I consulted the troubleshooting section of the textbook of a manual the unit came with. It listed 4 potential problems that I attempted the fixes for, but I had no luck. The system is not overheated. I even unplugged it and let it cool with a fan on it for an hour and that didn't help. It isn't due to speaker wire shorts because I triple checked everything.

Has anyone come across a problem like this? What was the cause, and how much was it to fix? I guess if the problem is terminal, it would be a good reason to upgrade to the RX-Z9.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. PeterCB

PeterCB Active Member

You're in luck! The Z1 has a 5 year warantee, so no matter what the problem is, they will fix it at no charge to you.

Of course, if you were using this an as excuse to upgrade to the Z9, you could still trade the Z1 in after you got it fixed!

3. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Well-Known Member

Just to let everyone know, the RX-Z1 comes with a 2 year warranty. Not the 5 year. That's a bunch of crap for a $3200 receiver.

4. John Robert

John Robert Well-Known Member

I would at least email Yamaha. Some receivers have recurring problems that mfrs will fix out of warranty.

The "Catch 22" for you is, unless you get it fixed, not much value on the resale market. But, if you get it fixed and it serves your needs, why get a new unit???

Good luck...

John

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Well-Known Member

No, what's a bunch of crap is when Sony had 90-day warranties on their $1,000+ Vega TVs. Now, that's some crap.

Hopefully, Yamaha will work with you to get this resolved. [​IMG]

6. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Well-Known Member

The Z1 does have a 5 year warranty as does the RX-V1 and the Z9.

7. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Well-Known Member

they extended the warranty when the z9 was released with a 5 year ... so the z1 does have a 5 year. Check all your speakers connections ... if that were the problem the receiver might actually say that right when you power it up.