What's new

Is my hard drives damaged enough? (1 Viewer)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Hey everyone, I need your advice. It was time to get rid of my older computers and I wanted to make sure no one would get my info on the hard drive. I've heard one of the best ways is to take a hammer to a hard drive and bash the shit out of it. So I did just that. The following is a photo of what's left of it. I'm not a professional photographer, but I hope you experts can tell me if I did a good enough job to not have to worry about anyone getting anything off of it. Thank you.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
At the moment, I would like to apply the same treatment to my case/power supply/CPU/Mobo/router etc.

Next time, can I help?

needing to vent my computer related frustrations somewhere. That looks like FUN! :)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

It was fun. I got a lot of anger out of me just bashing the hell out of it. Great stress reliever. I felt like Christopher and Tony B in the episode on the Sopronos when they were bashing skulls with sledge hammers. :D

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I shot one with 00 buck shot from a 12 gauge shtgun once. Only I did it for fun, not to keep people from reading old data.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It certainly looks like you had a good time!

Next time, if you aren't in quite the same mood, I suggest you perform a DoD 7 pass wipe and then for good measure drill a couple of holes through the platters. Even if you like the hammer approach I would do the wipe first.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Thanks Al. One of the hard drives I couldn't even get the computer it was on to boot all the way without freezing up, and the other I did use some software to wipe. I wish I was more of a handy man, but I don't really have a drill to put holes through them. I think I did a pretty good job damaging them, although I'm sure some expert out there could probablly some how recover something. I just did a good enough job that I feel someone would have to be truly an expert and desperate to get what's left of it.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

I've seen that on TechTV before they got killed by G4. I believe they used thermite powder. It was pretty cool watching it burn at 900+ degrees. I doubt anyone can recover data from a drive that was partially melted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks