What's new

Is my dvd burner dead? (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have a Sony DRU842A DVD burner that I got a little over a year ago (its out of warantee now, I'm sure) as a slave drive to my Memorex, and have used it sporadically since. Earlier this week, the thing made some funny noises when booting up my computer then would simply not turn on when I rebooted the machine (my computer thinks there's only one drive connected now). I tried various things like connecting a different power connection and reattaching the main line to the motherboard, but that didn't seem to work. Suddenly after like a couple of hours, the thing, for the lack of a better word, "ressurected" itself as if nothing had happened.

Now its stopped working again, and I can't seem to find anything online about this problem and what I need to do to fix it. Is it fixable or is my DVD burner truly dead?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Try connecting it to a different PC (friend, or foe) and see if it's still dead in the other PC.

Anyhow, these drives are like $30 nowadays, give a new one if you really need a 2nd DVD burner drive in your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks